Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 10-10-2013, 04:55 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X15 350 MCX
scratch removal and buffing process that worked for me

I just recently purchased a 2006 X15. It was in good shape being garage kept, but it had some light scratches and did not have a great shine to it. I researched a lot and finally did all the work this past weekend. The result was amazing. I know that the proof is in the pictures and I will post some soon. I did take pictures when I finished, but it was almost dark at the time and the pictures came out terrible in the low light. Just thought others may be interested in the materials and steps that I went through. Disclaimer: this worked for me, for others, mileage may vary.

1) I started off wet sanding the worst scratches with 1200 grit, then followed that with 2000 grit. (use top quality wet sandpaper from NAPA or another specialized auto paint supplier)
2) I wet sanded very light scratches with only the 2000 grit sandpaper
3) I then used 3M-06044 imperial compound with a 3M-05719 100% wool pad over the whole boat to buff out the sanding marks. This stuff worked great. Probably didn't need to do the whole boat with the imperial compound, but with an 8"' pad, it doesn't take very long.
4) I then used 3M-05928 Finesse-it with a 3M-05711 blended wool pad over the whole boat. played around with the Finesse-it and it actually would take 90% of the 2000 grit sand marks out by itself. The boat really popped after this step.
5) I followed this up with 3M-09030 Ultra performance paste wax, that I applied by hand (because it was paste). I used this on my old boat, but I am really not sure how I like it. I let it sit on the boat for about 1-1/2 hours and it was a b*tch to get off. The next time I think that I will try the 3M-09027 liquid wax and use a pad to apply the wax. I had bought a 3M-05713 blended polishing pad that could work for applying the wax. I have always used foam pads to apply wax to my cars, not sure how well the fluffy pad would work.

I bought a brand new Dewalt DWP849X to do the boat. This is my first Dewalt tool and this thing was rock solid. It is specially designed for polishing and it comes with the correct Velcro backup pad that works with the 3M pads that I list above. That saved me $50 since I didn't have to buy the 3M back up pad. I bought all my supplies from Amazon except for the sandpaper. Total time was about 5 hours, but a lot of that time was experimentation. Pretty nerve racking sanding the gelcoat for the first time on the most expensive item I ever bought, besides my house. So, I went pretty slow and cautiously at the beginning.

I also found this sheet on the 3M website that lists most all their marine products. The chart labeled "Buffing Pad Characteristics" was very helpful on selecting my pads.

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawe...kkLbTgWgKKKK3-
Old 10-10-2013, 05:18 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X-45 2008 MCX
We need pics!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-17-2013, 10:28 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2000 Maristar 210VRS
I am in the same position. My boat doesn't have any oxidization, but doesn't really have a great shine. There are a few deeper scratches, but mostly light ones. I don't know if I'm ready to take sandpaper to it quite yet, but would really like to get that "new" boat shine back. As mentioned earlier, please post pics if possible.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:47 AM
TT Enthusiast

ctad - Don't let the sanding scare you. If you use the pads and compounds that I list, it will take the sanding scratches right out. I was a little nervous myself, but it worked great. Start out with 2000, buff it and see what I mean. After a while, you will feel more comfortable going down to 1200 grit.

I had a couple of deep scratches on my gelcoat. They weren't through the gelcoat, but for me to get them out I would have needed to sand them deep. It would have left a concave spot in the gelcoat. On those, I used the 1200 grit sandpaper folded into a V shape. This way I got all the scuff marks out and rounded the bottom of the scratch. Then the buffing pad could get down in there and smooth everything back up. The scratch is now the same color and shine as the rest of the gelcoat, which makes it much less noticeable.

I definitely will post some pics. I have the boat in storage a few miles from the house. I am going to get it this weekend to do the dreaded winterization. Supposed to be a nice weekend, so hopefully, I can get some good pics.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

I finally got some pictures today with the sun shining. The one picture of the rear was where the previous owner had about an 8 inch long scratch from a wakeboard. This was the one really deep scratch that I had.
Attached Images

Old 10-21-2013, 09:31 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
If you use 3m Super Duty Compound on a wool pad there is no need to wet sand with anything finer than 1000 grit. It will remove 1000 grit scratches and finishes out somewhat finer than 2000 grit. Follow up with some polishing compound.

1997 Prostar 190, TBI 350, 1:1, OJ XMP 13 x 11.5, Stargazer, Hot Shower, Heated Drivers Seat, Reuben/Mountain Rock/Nite Navy

Old 10-21-2013, 10:12 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2001 X-30 "Surf Edition", LTR, 2079 prop, FAE, straight silencers, 3000# ballast, custom platform, manual surf fin, 1050 Hours and counting
Awesome job, looks great. Bet you can't wait for spring! Winterized here in CO as well, and already jonesin' to get back on the water. Every year seems I want to hang on to summer a little longer.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:15 PM
TT Enthusiast

The 3M Imperial compound that I used claims to take out 800 grit scratches. I just wanted to play it safe. Plus, I didn't have a lot scratches to sand by hand.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:33 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Mainship Pilot 30
What pad did you use with the imperial compound?
Old 10-22-2013, 02:59 PM
TT Enthusiast

3M-05719 is the pad that I used for the Imperial.