Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 09-29-2013, 02:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 94' Prostar 205 - Indmar 5.7 TBI
Bought a 94' Prostar 205 - fix up thread

Hi,

My name is Matt and just recently joined this forum. My in laws just picked up a lakehouse and we all decided to chip in for a ski boat. I used to go boating all the time in my 20's, and that kind of came to an end when I got married and started having kids. Kids are now ages 6, 4.5, & 2.5.

The lake is 162 acres or so and is glass all day long. On busy days, I see about 3 boats out, and usually only one of them actually moving.

Plan is to do all the watersports: tubing, skiing, slalom, wakeboarding, & wakesurfing.

So we picked up this 94' for 9100. Asking price was 9800.

600hrs on hull
<100hrs on Jasper motor. (PO cracked block winterizing it. MC dealer installed. $4300)
3 & 4 blade props
2x single tubes
1x double tube
2 pairs of skiis
fake lake
Pull over cover

Problems I need to address:
Oil pressure gauge does not work
Thermostat gasket leaking and temp hovers at 130
Alternator is shot
Trailer surge brakes do not work
Buff & new decals
Blower hose is torn near blower motor
Gas shocks are missing for motorbox
New head unit and speakers
Keel roller

Pics:

Last edited by bochnak; 09-30-2013 at 06:42 AM.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:25 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
Congrats on the new boat and welcome to TT. Not sure about wakesurfing behind that thing but you picked up a great boat! I am a bit bias since I have owned one since 2001. Let me know if you have any questions and I will try to help.

If you didn't tell us the motor was changed I would have never known. Everything looks similar to my Indmar 350.

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 10-08-2013, 01:51 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double D View Post
Congrats on the new boat and welcome to TT. Not sure about wakesurfing behind that thing but you picked up a great boat! I am a bit bias since I have owned one since 2001. Let me know if you have any questions and I will try to help.
A quick google & youtube search shows people wakesurfing behind this boat. What are your thoughts?

Quote:
If you didn't tell us the motor was changed I would have never known. Everything looks similar to my Indmar 350.
Looks like long block only was changed. I need to get the Jasper PN and find out more info on it.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:11 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by bochnak View Post
A quick google & youtube search shows people wakesurfing behind this boat. What are your thoughts?

Looks like long block only was changed. I need to get the Jasper PN and find out more info on it.
Wakesurf - it can be done... wakeboarding to.. one think I notice on my 95 205 is the wake gets washed our to quick and you really have to bury a corner to get any surf wake... I don't recommend doing that by the way...on the PS DD.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:49 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double D View Post
I actually don't have any... LOL. You could load the boat with ballast and take out 7 friends and see what happens. I'm sure someone else has done it.
Looks like fun. Maybe I'll try it one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
Wakesurf - it can be done... wakeboarding to.. one think I notice on my 95 205 is the wake gets washed our to quick and you really have to bury a corner to get any surf wake... I don't recommend doing that by the way...on the PS DD.
I will be primarily wakeboarding. I heard the PS throws a respectable wake loaded.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:36 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Maristar 210 Predator
Quote:
Originally Posted by bochnak View Post
Looks like fun. Maybe I'll try it one day.

I will be primarily wakeboarding. I heard the PS throws a respectable wake loaded.
The wakeboarding wake is decent when loaded. I went from a Sea Doo Speedster to the PS 205, so the wake on the MC seemed huge compared to the Sea Doo. Now I have a 210 VRS and the unloaded wake is about the size of the loaded wake on the 205. I tried loading the back corner up for surfing on the 205 and as mentioned, it can be done, but the pocket is very small. Not worth the effort IMO. If you do plan on doing that much wakeboarding, then you may want to consider adding a tower, especially if you want to have others riding in the back seat. It will get the wakeboards off the floor as well. You have done a good job on the wet sand and buff.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:42 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2008 X1
Very nice. Definitely a good all around boat. My parents have had their '93 205 since '98 and always been happy with it. Doesn't look like it will take much to have yours in great shape. Once you start, MCOCD will kick in though. Team talk is like group therapy for it.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:58 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 PROSTAR 205
Great Choice. Welcome to TT. I also have a 94.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:23 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Nice boat, congrats on the purchase.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:27 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft X2 2003 mcx
Very nice

"Was it over when the German's bombed pearl harbor ?"
---Animal house