Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-31-2013, 02:47 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 MasterCraft ProStar 209, 310 HP
Send a message via AIM to TripleThreat Send a message via Yahoo to TripleThreat
Traditional Fenders or Mooring Buoys for tying up to docks and other boats

ProStar 209

Looking to equip the boat with either fenders or buoys to tie up at the dock for restroom breaks or to potentially tie up to other boats (possibly pontoons or other ski boats).

I don't leave the boat in the water overnight and seldom tie up at a dock for more than 15 or 20 minutes, but right now, without anything, someone is left holding the boat.

I am assuming that I will tie one to the pop-up cleat on the rear and one from either of the tower mount points.

What do you guys recommend?
NESBA "A" #719
STT "A" #719

On the Road Less Traveled...

...You Always Meet More Interesting People
Old 08-31-2013, 02:55 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, X9, 2003
We have a 2003 x9 so similar boats. We usually tied one to the tower and the other to the cleat on the dock. The pop up cleat is hard to put two ropes on.

2003 x9
Old 09-01-2013, 07:15 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X-14V
We installed phender pro cleats for two fendors, and use the tower for a third.

There's a couple of advantages: they make the fenders super easy to install and remove so even the young kids can help out when docking by putting the fenders out. Plus it keeps the pop up cleats available for mooring lines.

There are lots of options for fender cleats, but if I had to do it again I'd still pay the $$ for phender pro- they are really nice. They used to be available from MC as an option in 2013, but they seem to have disappeared in 2014. Not sure what happened, but you should still be able to order the non-MC branded ones from the manufacturer.
Attached Images

Last edited by rtw_travel; 09-01-2013 at 07:23 AM. Reason: Added picture
Old 09-01-2013, 10:19 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, X9, 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtw_travel View Post
We installed phender pro cleats for two fendors, and use the tower for a third.

There's a couple of advantages: they make the fenders super easy to install and remove so even the young kids can help out when docking by putting the fenders out. Plus it keeps the pop up cleats available for mooring lines.

There are lots of options for fender cleats, but if I had to do it again I'd still pay the $$ for phender pro- they are really nice. They used to be available from MC as an option in 2013, but they seem to have disappeared in 2014. Not sure what happened, but you should still be able to order the non-MC branded ones from the manufacturer.
They are still an option.

2003 x9
Old 09-01-2013, 10:37 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 MasterCraft ProStar 209, 310 HP
Send a message via AIM to TripleThreat Send a message via Yahoo to TripleThreat
Thanks for suggestions on tie off points...

I had never seen the phender pro cleats. Not sure I want to add any hardware to the boat. Not real keen on drilling any holes in the hull and adding things to polish around, especially given the fact that I don't tie up very often or for any sustained length of time.

What I'm really looking for are suggestions for the type of fenders that are best to use.

Is a traditional tubular fender sufficient, or are the low freeboard fenders better suited for the 209.

Additionally, I've seen some folks opt for the round mooring buoys rather than the tubular style to place a little more distance between the boat and whatever object you are tying up to.

Thoughts from this angle?
NESBA "A" #719
STT "A" #719

On the Road Less Traveled...

...You Always Meet More Interesting People
Old 09-01-2013, 04:25 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X-2
I just bought the Exile audio inflatable buoys (look like hippity hops). They inflate to a large ball to give you plenty of spacing from the dock or other boat, and then deflate to take up little storage room.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:43 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcd View Post
I just bought the Exile audio inflatable buoys (look like hippity hops). They inflate to a large ball to give you plenty of spacing from the dock or other boat, and then deflate to take up little storage room.
+1 ................

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Old 09-03-2013, 11:57 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 X-star
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcd View Post
The best for boat to boat tie ups. Hands down.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:38 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
8" Taylor Big B. you want the extra separation an 8" gives vs 6" when tied up to a pontoon and another boat wants the separation when you roll up next to them with your tower.

The thru fender is pure fender! no wasted storage space with the eye as in post #3 and it can be brought up tighter for more mounting options. Notice no matter how he tries to lift the fender, it is below the rub rail? This is more about the poor mount location but the eye does not help.
I don't like the pin mounts for most locations. Too many will miss the hole and you end up with gel chips and scratches. A well installed cleat is a much stronger, more versatile choice.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:37 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC ProStar 209, 2001, LTR, Blue
I use the Big B fenders in 6" diameter. I have dedicated mounting locations for the fenders. Do not take up the cleat with a line for the fender, you need the cleat for docklines. Watch out for the tooners, some of them just play bumper cars when docking.