Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 08-29-2013, 01:21 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft, X-30, 03, Cadillac 385
To Sell a Trailer or Not

I have an 03 Mastercraft X-30 trailer. I grew up on saltwater and have taken it in saltwater a handful of times, but next summer I intend to do a lot more saltwater boating (the boat's engine has the closed cooling). As such, no matter how good I try to clean it, the trailer will inevitably start showing the signs of saltwater use and will need to be replaced down the line.

I hate to see such a nice trailer detiorate and know the cost of a galvanized trialer will set me back a pretty penny. However, at least, it won't show the signs of rust for a long time down the road, so long as it is maintained. I have heard a lot of people state that I am better off just using my existing trailer until it can no longer be used, but, again, it is tough to see such a nice trailer deteriorate.

I would like to hear any members' opinions as to whether they have had to make this decision and what they did or whether any members have had any luck selling used Mastercraft trailers on their own w/o a boat on it. It seems to me that since these are made for the specific boat they will be hard to unload, so I might be stuck using it until the rust eats it up. Thanks in advance!
Old 08-29-2013, 01:42 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1992 PS 205, 351 HO 1:1
I'd say just keep it. My boat sees a lot of saltwater use and at some point trailers just become expendable. Most of my friends put their boats and trailers into the saltwater and we do our best to clean them but rust never sleeps! You are faced with trying to get top dollar for your painted trailer and upgrade to galvanized or aluminum. You can get a LOT of use out of your current trailer before it becomes scrap.

I just blasted and painted mine and it will surely rust again but that's part of boating here for us. Use the boat often or sell it, right? Without saltwater use, I'd be lucky to put 20-25 hrs on it a year.

We use one friend's boat the most (4+ times a month, almost year round) and although his trailer is starting to get rusty in places, it is really not bad at all considering how much salt use it sees. And he has been doing this for 5-6 years or more now.

Just my opinion and experience.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:23 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft, X-30, 03, Cadillac 385
Thanks for the input. That seems to be the consensus. Its hard to let those trailers get rusty, though. I cringe everytime I have to dunk it in saltwater.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:35 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
As the current trailer will ultimately get rusty and unserviceable (worth nothing), and you will have to replace it, it would seem prudent to sell the original trailer while it is worth something and buy galvanized or aluminum trailer sooner rather than later.............assuming the budget allows for that.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $125 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 08-29-2013, 03:38 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1993 Stars & Stripes Prostar 190 351 285 hp
If it still intact, strip it down and get it hot dipped galvanized. Don't waste any effort with paint. Remove the brakes and upgrade to discs. You can check trailer for internal rust with a ball peen hammer. Dead spots will be obvious. Do not use it in salt and tow to failure. This fix can be done for 1/3 the price of a new one. Still kicking myself for not doing this.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:17 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2007 X-15 SS
The rust that will get you when you don't expect it is the rust coming from the inside out, and even galvanized trailers start to show rust with a lot of salt water use. I have an aluminum trailer for my boat and I couldn't be happier. The savings in weight is nice too.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:41 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by highline View Post
The rust that will get you when you don't expect it is the rust coming from the inside out,
Yep - 100% spot on

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 09-26-2013, 10:09 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2003 Mastercraft X-30
I wish you weren't so far away .. I'd love to give you some cash for it. Still looking ..