Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 08-23-2013, 03:41 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 03 prostar
Water in hull

Hello all,

Well I removed my non-operational blower today from the starboard side wall of the bilge and water began leaking from the mounting screw hole. I am presuming that this section of the hull is filled with foam and should be sealed from any water entering the cavity? I also have a couple small areas of "squishy" floor on both port and starboard sides of the engine cover. Should I have major concerns? Can I repair with drilling the floor and adding foam?

Thanks very much in advance!
Old 08-23-2013, 03:45 PM
chriscraftmatt1976

Uh oh. What year boat? Your tri star?
Old 08-23-2013, 03:54 PM
TT Newbie

Yes. Your uh oh has just made me say uh oh...
Old 08-23-2013, 04:12 PM
chriscraftmatt1976

I'm interested to hear what others have to say, but a soft floor to me indicates a larger issue. You're obviously holding water in there, and I shudder to think what it looks like under the floor boards.

I've dealt with lots of boats way older than that with no floor issues. If it were my boat, I'd pull the floor up, fix whatever you find, and put in new floor and carpet over the winter. If not, problem will only get worse.

Other opinions?
Old 08-23-2013, 10:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 MariStar 225VRS
Agreed^. I am not sure when MC went to no wood construction, But if the boat is a '90 model, I'd venture to say you have a wood deck and stringers that are rotting out from underneath you.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:14 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 85 Stars&Stripes, safe-t-top, trick realease, boom, flitepipe pylon
No wood since 83..5. If the foam gets waterlogged, to floor will lack support.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:41 AM
TT Newbie

OK, I replaced the really worn shaft packing with goretex the other day because the bilge was getting swamped the first and only time I took it out. I have a feeling that the previous owners allowed water to fill the bilge for who knows how long. Wondering if this was the source of the problem, and hoping it will not continue. I would like to fill the voids under the floor with spray foam and see how that works. Is this OK?
Old 08-24-2013, 12:03 PM
chriscraftmatt1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtie guy View Post
OK, I replaced the really worn shaft packing with goretex the other day because the bilge was getting swamped the first and only time I took it out. I have a feeling that the previous owners allowed water to fill the bilge for who knows how long. Wondering if this was the source of the problem, and hoping it will not continue. I would like to fill the voids under the floor with spray foam and see how that works. Is this OK?
My dad says 'don't just do the right things, do things right.'

I don't know if that will work or not, but if the floors is soft you're gonna end up dealing with it some day. I've never tried fixing a soft floor this way, and I have my doubts it will work well, not to mention, you're not fixing the real problem. How's the water getting in there? Just sitting in the bilge shouldn't lead to water in there. It's leaking in somewhere., unless it was getting higher than the stringers in the back? I'm not positive, I don't have much experience on tri stars.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:07 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
1988 water prolly coming at deck hull union.... post some pic's
Old 08-24-2013, 04:00 PM
chriscraftmatt1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
1988 water prolly coming at deck hull union.... post some pic's
You mean like rubrail in the back? That would make sense. 200 v is famous for that from the factory. The 211's were as well.