Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 08-22-2013, 01:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft ProStar 190 1988 351 Wheezer
Flood insurance on a boat house, isnt it already flooded

So here is the scenario, re-financed house Vystar insisted I have flood insurance despite having a county engineers letter stating the property would not flood, 3 surveys showing the house was not in a flood zone, 1 elevation cert saying the house is not in a flood zone.

Filed a LOMA (letter of map ammendment) with FEMA which agreed house is not in flood zone. Called up Vystar asking for a letter so I can cancel flood insurance on house, now they are saying that house coverage is not required however I have to cover the boat house for $10K because it is in a flood zone.

To me that seems absolutley ridiculous to put flood insurance on a structuture that is nothing more than 8 telephone poles with a roof on them.

Anyone have any of these issues in the past and how did you resolve it
Old 08-22-2013, 01:56 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1990 Tristar 190 Sport
That doesn't make sense! Maybe a letter from your insurer indicating that you have coverage on the boat house for storm damage or fire. Not much else that can really happen to it. Vystar must be thinking you have some kind of elaborate structure and not just an enclosed dock.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:39 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, X2, 2004, Violet (purple) & white ... previous 1983 black/silver stars
on a river or lake? currents or tide? what about if there was a flood and the lake/river filled up much higher to completely cover said boat house?

Just some questions ... example Lake Georgetown (corp lake) filled well beyond expectation several years back which covered all the public parks including all the covered picnic sites and restrooms. They had to close down all access due to septic in the lake & underwater electricity ... once the lake went back down, there was a whole lot of repairs needed to the structures & electrical systems.

although I see your point ...
Old 08-22-2013, 05:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft ProStar 190 1988 351 Wheezer
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmkkdx View Post
on a river or lake? currents or tide? what about if there was a flood and the lake/river filled up much higher to completely cover said boat house?

Just some questions ... example Lake Georgetown (corp lake) filled well beyond expectation several years back which covered all the public parks including all the covered picnic sites and restrooms. They had to close down all access due to septic in the lake & underwater electricity ... once the lake went back down, there was a whole lot of repairs needed to the structures & electrical systems.

although I see your point ...
It is a manmade lake created by damming up the far end of a ravine, if water level raises 3 feet then excess water spills 30 feet down a spillway another 2 feet and it goes over the top of the dam, if water rises up enought to get close to the roof then we all need to be calling noah about a ark as the end of the world has come.

Once I have the letter from them releasing the insurance requirements on the house it will be on, thanks for the input.