Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 08-14-2013, 11:23 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1992 PS 205, 351 HO 1:1
Installing Heater in 1992 PS205

Hey guys,

I just bought a small two-vent heater from Summit to install in my 1992 PS205. I read every existing thread here about heater installs. I need to utilize the under dash area ahead of the drivers kick panel for mounting the unit. I already have the passenger side full with a sub, 2 batteries and amps. I have removed the storage bin ahead of the driver (in the bow) and will be installing a flat panel in its place to free up space.
The spacing is pretty tight in there and it seems the best mounting options are to install it with the core facing either vertical (with the input/output 5/8 tubes on the bottom) or with the core and vents pointed upward (fan mounted under the core).
Both options require that the incoming water travel upward through the core. Has anyone encountered this or been forced to mount the unit in a non-horizontal method? And did it have any affect on the performance? As it is, the unit is a bit higher than the engine, but heater cores in cars are often mounted this way as well (though the coolant/water does not have to travel as far).
If possible, I do not want to add an additional circ pump to push/pull water. I plan on using a y-fitting or t-fitting on the raw water intake to move water through the heater core.
Sorry for the long description & thanks in advance for any advice!
Old 08-19-2013, 03:39 PM
TT Regular

Never mind guys. I installed the heater this weekend and it works great, even though the core is not mounted horizontally. I'll try and take some pics and post for others to follow if needed.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:31 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '94 PS205 LT1
Would love to see pics. I've been wanting to add one, but can't figure out best location. Did you run a tube to the pass side? Defrost?
Old 08-20-2013, 02:16 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Would love to see pics. I've been wanting to add one, but can't figure out best location. Did you run a tube to the pass side? Defrost?
I have not taken any pics yet, but I'll be sure to.

I removed the storage bin ahead of the driver and mounted it there (between the opening and the aluminum bar that runs diagonally underneath the dash. Just enough room to have the fan pointing upward with the fan motor on bottom. I mounted it using some 1x2" plastic I had laying around. The 5/8 hoses run directly up to it from the access tube (where the cables run). I made a closeout panel for behind the bow seat back out of plastic I bought at Tap Plastics. The only downside I can see to mounting it pointing upward is that a leak in the core may take out the fan motor. I'm not worried about that yet. I fused the connection.

I cut two holes in the carpeted kick panel that mounts up just above the driver's feet.
One blower tube points at the driver's feet, the other is a pull out with more than enough length of flexible hose to use for passenger needs. It can be pushed back in when not in use. I didn't want to run anything up around the bow. It is more useful for me as a pull out to tuck under a towel after skiing.

For the fan switch, I removed the existing ignition kill switch and used the existing hole for the switch, plate and knob for the fan. It mounts in there perfectly, just to the right of the throttle control and is not in the way at all. I just tucked the kill switch into the panel below since I never hook up to it anyway. I might make a mount for it in the future.

The hot water was tapped from the intake manifold with a brass tee. The temp sensor sits on top and the 5/8" hose connects to the side. The cold intake is a tee from my existing flush connection at the raw water intake (I run my boat in salt water often and need to flush afterward). My only concern is the rise in temp running through my trans cooler. not sure that is an issue.

I land tested it with a hook-up hose and it supplies decent heat at idle and really throws out heat once revved to 1.5K. Should be great on the water this winter.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:38 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '94 PS205 LT1
Thanks for the detail. I like that location idea, as we don't use that storage anyway. I would want to try for three vent to get defrost or second hot tube though. Hmmmmm
Old 08-20-2013, 10:14 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC 2002 X30
which heater did you purchase

could you post pic of your T on intake

thanks
Old 08-26-2013, 11:17 AM
TT Regular

Here are a few pics from the install.

This was the heater I bought. It is the same heater sold by Maradyne Heaters. The only thing I wasn't thrilled about is the heater control switch. A little cheap looking (but actually well constructed).

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-991102-1 - Heater
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-991103-1 - Duct/Vent Kit

Total cost was around $240. $180 spent on heater & vent kit. $20 on 5/8 hose. Another $40 on fittings, clamps, fuse, etc..

Pic #1 is the mounting of the unit. I removed the storage bin and cut a new flat close out panel.
Pic #2 are the vents under the dash. The one on the left is an extendable hose that I just leave extended. Can be pulled out for passenger use.
Pic #3 is the heater controls. I used the hole previously used by the kill switch.
Pic #4 is the hot intake on the manifold. The stock temp gauge sits on top.
Attached Images

Last edited by cal69; 08-26-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:43 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC 2002 X30
looks good, thanks for info
Old 09-05-2013, 01:56 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: '92 ProStar 205
I think this will be my next addtion to my '92 205. It is new to us this year and I really would like to extend the season a few weeks--read "keep the wife happy."

Question: what other areas did you consider and was removing the storage insert an absolute must do? I see the factory unit was under the pass. console but I'd like to keep that space. I like the driver side location but again don't want to give up that storage location behing the cushion.

subscribed..
Old 09-06-2013, 11:16 AM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccg951 View Post
I think this will be my next addtion to my '92 205. It is new to us this year and I really would like to extend the season a few weeks--read "keep the wife happy."

Question: what other areas did you consider and was removing the storage insert an absolute must do? I see the factory unit was under the pass. console but I'd like to keep that space. I like the driver side location but again don't want to give up that storage location behing the cushion.

subscribed..
This location was my only option. I already have two batteries, a subwoofer, amps, perko switch & isolator behind the observers seat. I considered hanging the heater under the dash and looked for other options, ultimately deciding to mount it where I did. Yes, removing the storage insert was the only way I could make it fit. Not much storage to lose when you think about it. I only had a few ropes in there that I rarely used. This boat has way more places to stash stuff compared with my prior '85 S&S.