Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 07-31-2013, 09:14 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 x-45 8.1L
Jamaica or Bahamas trip

I am planning our 1 yr anniversary and I am thinking the Bahamas or Jamaica for the trip. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to stay at either one of the places or what places / things to avoid while there? It will be just my wife and I, no kids. Deciding if an all inclusive would be worth it? We don't like being stuck on a resort unless there's plenty of things to do. We would rather be exploring. Also does anyone have any sites they reccomend for booking the trip? I usually use orbitz.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:47 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 MasterCraft X-30
My wife and I did Sandals Negril, Jamaica last December and have already booked another trip to the same spot for this December. We loved it. Tons to do and very inexpensive.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:44 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2010 Mastercraft X2
vacation

I've been to Jamaica Sandals/Duns River on my honeymoon 15 years ago. It was a great place too. We went to the Bahamas once. the water was beautiful but there were children begging everywhere so we really didn't like that part of it. I would only do a an all inclusive resort on either island.

Lascabas/ Cabo San Lucas is a great place to go too.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:23 AM
TT Regular

Boat: MasterCraft Skier
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraham37128 View Post
I've been to Jamaica Sandals/Duns River on my honeymoon 15 years ago. It was a great place too. We went to the Bahamas once. the water was beautiful but there were children begging everywhere so we really didn't like that part of it. I would only do a an all inclusive resort on either island.

Lascabas/ Cabo San Lucas is a great place to go too.
I got married at the sandals duns river 5 years ago. Unfortunately it is not there anymore. They kept the Sandals Grande that was down the street and shut down the Sandals Dunns River.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:45 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Current: '03 X2 w/ MCX. Former: '91 Prostar
My wife and I have been to Sandals resorts in Jamaica five times (Montego Bay 3x, Negril 1x, and White House 1x). We enjoyed them all and there are a reasonable amount of available activities within the resorts. We have not seriously priced it out for a return trip in the past few years, but when we last looked pricing had gone up substantially. In the past, we thought it was fairly priced.

While there are some things worth seeing outside the resorts, I'd say Jamaica is not the best place for exploring without a substantial group.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:09 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 205 1998 5.7 Vortec
Negril. Sandals/Couples Swept Away. What is better than cliff jumping at a bar in Negril!?!
Old 07-31-2013, 11:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1983 Stars and Stripes PowerSlot
Sandals Resorts anywhere is the only place I book. We have been going annually since 2004 and love them, especially Negril. There are other islands with Sandals locations too. There are plenty of activities on resort property. All Watersports are included, including skiing and wake boarding. Sailing Hobie boats, diving, and snorkeling also. If you don't sail they will teach you! Food and drink are top shelf. Negril has Rick's where cliff diving is done. All in all, a wonderful trip. We just got back from there last week.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:54 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 Mastercraft Maristar 210 LTR
+1 for sandals negril.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:11 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 Prostar 190, LTR
We had a ton of fun at Atlantis in the Bahamas on our honeymoon. Went back a few years later because we enjoyed it so much. The lazy river / tube waterslides are a blast.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:17 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2006 Mastercraft X2 MCX w/ 07 Tower
My wife and I enjoy doing an all-inclusive resort every year for our anniversary! We've been to Riviera Maya, MX, Punta Cana, DR and The Grand Exuma Island of the Bahamas all in the past 4yrs.

I'm not sure if your options are open, but probably the best beach we've ever seen is in Punta Cana, DR. We stayed at a Resort called The Majestic (upgraded to the Excellences Club). This resort was super nice, food and drinks were great and the beach was top notch! There isn't too much to do outside of the resort in Punta Cana. Probably the most fun we had outside of the resort was in Rivera Maya in Mexico (Mayan Ruins, "The Underworld" created by meteor that killed the Dinosaurs). We stayed in a resort called Valentin Imperial Maya. This resort was massive, but was really fun to explore and the beach has white sands and big waves. Food and drinks were decent for all-inclusive, but this wouldn't keep me from going back. Our last trip was to The Great Exuma Islands in the Bahamas. We stayed at the Sandals resort there. The people there are really friendly and and the food was the best of all the resorts. Drinks were a little weak, but the beach and the water was really nice!

All these range from around $2k-$4k depending on how many nights you want to stay. Sandals is a big "brand" name so expect to pay more going to their resorts.

From my past experience, Expedia and/or hotels.com has given us the best prices for our trips. If you go Sandals, use their website (prices seem to be the same everywhere) and they'll usually give you an upgrade or a room of your selection where you want on the resort.

Hope this helps and have fun!