Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 07-18-2013, 09:35 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1985 stars and stripes
flooding carburetor 85 S&S

Just recently bought a new holley marine carburetor, while I was doing maintenance on the boat I noticed that gas was dripping into the front two barrells. I put the boat on the water hose and started it , it was hard to start because of being flooded . I then checked the power valve by having motor idling and turning the idle set screw in all the way. The engine did start to miss but didn't die. Does this mean the power valve is bad? Also is it normal for gas to be dripping in while nose of boat is raised above level? When I leveled the boat it stopped flooding.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:53 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1987 ProStar 190
I think this will get more views in the "engine" forum (you're in "audio").

If the engine runs with both idle set screws run all the way in, your PV is likely blown. HOWEVER, it sounds like maybe your boat kept running because the nose was high / floats are leaking.

It sounds like you really need to buy a rebuild kit to replace your needle and seats. I wouldn't pin it on the PV yet. If the boat keeps running while level and the screws run all the way in AND the jets not leaking, I would suspect the PV.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1983 Mastercraft S&S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluccous View Post
Just recently bought a new holley marine carburetor, while I was doing maintenance on the boat I noticed that gas was dripping into the front two barrells. I put the boat on the water hose and started it , it was hard to start because of being flooded . I then checked the power valve by having motor idling and turning the idle set screw in all the way. The engine did start to miss but didn't die. Does this mean the power valve is bad? Also is it normal for gas to be dripping in while nose of boat is raised above level? When I leveled the boat it stopped flooding.
As stated above wrong section. Dripping is caused because of the floats. Even though it does not drip when the boat is in the water I would make sure the floats are set correctly.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:05 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
As this is a new Holley carb, I would lean more towards the issue being with the boat not being level. I would throw it in the water and see how it goes.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Packages Starting at $569
4 Aluminum 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 tires, mount, balance & delivery.

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $319
2 Aluminum 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 tires, mount, balance & delivery.

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $125 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com