Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 06-10-2013, 02:43 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2006 Mastercraft X1
X1 205V old X2 old Xstar

I've got a 2006 X1. I'm just starting to get where I can jump the wake on my hyperlite 136 with two small fins on each end. I'm needing some help on ballast as weighting. How many pounds and where do I need the weight? I have the two stock hard ballast in the rear, I believe they are 200 lb each, and then one 350lb sack in the ski locker center of boat. How many pounds do I need for a good wake?

Also I need to know what length of rope to use??

Sorry I know these are basic questions, but me and my buddies are all beginners. I tried to find a post on this because I'm sure I'm not the first to ask these, but I couldn't find one.

Thanks!
Old 06-10-2013, 03:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 02 X-Star
I was satisfied for a long time with my factory setup. If you are beginning I would really master the stock setup before you start launching into the stratosphere. The week after I upgraded my ballast I tore my acl, mcl and meniscus on the board .

BUT if you want to upgrade:
Most people pull the hard tanks in the back and run either twin 400lb fat sacs if you are mostly boarding or twin 750lb sacs if you are surfing. If you upgrade the back, you are going to want to balance with weight in the front. Fly High makes an integrated bow sac (http://www.wakemakers.com/mastercraf...st-system.html) that can be easily plumbed in as an over-flow fill style sac. I would try to rig up a fourth pump to fill the sac though, it makes it much more efficient.

I upgraded to the 750s in the back, but mostly board and kinda wish I went with the 400s. Its tricky to figure out how much weight is in the sacs when filling and you basically have to fill at speed and watch the wake. But the 750s make a much better surf wake.

Some people board with both 750s full but my MC dealer (who is also a fly high dealer) said it is probably too much weight for the hull and isn't doing much good. I did run with mine full once just to test it and the wake was ludicrous, but it was hard to control the boat, and the stern was pretty low in the water.

Fat sacs are the way to go, and installing them only takes about an hour.

I'm sure others will chime in with many other suggestions as this has been discussed many times.

Here's what wakemakers suggests for our hull. http://www.wakemakers.com/mastercraft
Old 06-10-2013, 03:13 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 01 X-Star
I run 750s in rear and the big 1000 triangle in the bow. Everything full. Wake is primo. Boat drives great.

But any less nose weight it changes everything. Boat drove terrible and while the wake looked decent, it was horrible.

The prop will need to be upgraded to run this weight.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:18 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 02 X-Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cary K. View Post
I run 750s in rear and the big 1000 triangle in the bow. Everything full. Wake is primo. Boat drives great.

But any less nose weight it changes everything. Boat drove terrible and while the wake looked decent, it was horrible.

That 1000lb triangle is probably what I needed to run 750s in the rear.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:21 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cary K. View Post

That is what I run. If I have more than 3 or so people in the boat, I let a little weight out of the 750s, otherwise I run them full. 24.5mph at 75ft.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:37 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: ER xstar
i ran the 750's in the back of mine, with the 300ish lb locker sac, 300ish walkway sac and a couple hundred lbs of lead stuffed up in the bow. usually made one person sit up in the bow too. 750s definitely arent a waste back there. right before i sold it started running a 400 right behind the walkway sac too. with the 750's the boat really likes midweight/frontweight. wake was bananas, i think we rode about 23.5 @ 75 ft.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:43 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2006 Mastercraft X1
Wow you guys are going a lot faster than I thought! We've been going 17mph at about 50'
Old 12-26-2013, 10:31 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Maristar 210 Predator
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbozinke View Post
Wow you guys are going a lot faster than I thought! We've been going 17mph at about 50'
Everyone has great suggestions here on the speed and weight. The reason for the faster speed and longer rope is bc when you add weight, you need more speed to clear the wider wake. It would be difficult for me to even clear my wake at 17mph bc I couldn't get enough speed. If you are going by your boat speedo, double check it with a GPS to make sure it is what you think it is. 1-2mph will make a pretty big difference when it comes to wakeboarding. Ease your way into it and post some videos and/or pics.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:48 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: ER xstar
what we've outlined is definitely the intermediate/advanced setup. I would slowly add weight to the boat until your skills catch up with the wake potential if your only at 17 mph 50 ft now
Old 06-11-2013, 02:04 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft Prostar 205
best setup so far:

750 on each side of motor
370 in ski locker
750 on floor behind drivers seat
600 in lead in the nose

you can add another 400 upfront to mellow the lip out