Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-02-2013, 04:18 PM
roush611 roush611 is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Boat: 1983 Mastercraft S&S
Location: Livermore, CA
Posts: 228
Difference in 4160 rebuild kit numbers

What is the differences in the kits or are they all pretty much the same. I am going to be rebuilding my extra 4160 I have laying around and the list number matches up with Holley part number 703-33 but no one (around me) has one. Is it ok to just get any old rebuild kit for a marine 4160 or should it be that specific one?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-02-2013, 08:46 PM
j.mccreight@hotmail.com's Avatar
j.mccreight@hotmail.com j.mccreight@hotmail.com is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: May 2010
Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 3,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by roush611 View Post
What is the differences in the kits or are they all pretty much the same. I am going to be rebuilding my extra 4160 I have laying around and the list number matches up with Holley part number 703-33 but no one (around me) has one. Is it ok to just get any old rebuild kit for a marine 4160 or should it be that specific one?
The kit from your local auto parts will not have all the parts needed to properly rebuild a marine 4160, been there done that, just order the right kit, I used holley renew kit 703-47
Attached Images
 
__________________
James

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-02-2013, 09:29 PM
roush611 roush611 is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Boat: 1983 Mastercraft S&S
Location: Livermore, CA
Posts: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.mccreight@hotmail.com View Post
The kit from your local auto parts will not have all the parts needed to properly rebuild a marine 4160, been there done that, just order the right kit, I used holley renew kit 703-47
Thank you! I will order the one I need tonight then.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-02-2013, 11:02 PM
ggrimes13 ggrimes13 is offline
TT Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Boat: 1987 MasterCraft Tristar 190, 351
Location: Midwest
Posts: 26
I had a rebuilt from National Carburetor on my 1987 TriStar, with a sticker label 80319-351. (carb installed by previous owner during motor rebuild). Due to some issues, I wanted to go thru the carb so I ordered the 703-47 kit and found out it only has metering body gaskets for carbs that have an accelerator pump transfer tube. My carb did not have the tube, and therefore I needed a different gasket. Out of curiosity I peeled off the sticker and the original carb number had been ground away.... I'm guessing that an original 4160 marine carb probably has the tube, therefore this kit would work. Just wanted to share my experience.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-02-2013, 11:22 PM
roush611 roush611 is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Boat: 1983 Mastercraft S&S
Location: Livermore, CA
Posts: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrimes13 View Post
I had a rebuilt from National Carburetor on my 1987 TriStar, with a sticker label 80319-351. (carb installed by previous owner during motor rebuild). Due to some issues, I wanted to go thru the carb so I ordered the 703-47 kit and found out it only has metering body gaskets for carbs that have an accelerator pump transfer tube. My carb did not have the tube, and therefore I needed a different gasket. Out of curiosity I peeled off the sticker and the original carb number had been ground away.... I'm guessing that an original 4160 marine carb probably has the tube, therefore this kit would work. Just wanted to share my experience.
Thanks for the heads up. The carb that is on the boat now is one that came off an 88 prostar (I have an 83 S&S) but was rebuilt by national carburetor. I think they do some real shady things over there as I had to have someone rebuild that carb again right after it came back from them with zero use. Now i am rebuilding the original carb that came on the boat because something is still not right with the carb that came back from them.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-03-2013, 12:17 AM
thatsmrmastercraft's Avatar
thatsmrmastercraft thatsmrmastercraft is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 15,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by roush611 View Post
Thanks for the heads up. The carb that is on the boat now is one that came off an 88 prostar (I have an 83 S&S) but was rebuilt by national carburetor. I think they do some real shady things over there as I had to have someone rebuild that carb again right after it came back from them with zero use. Now i am rebuilding the original carb that came on the boat because something is still not right with the carb that came back from them.
Be sure to install this kit on your '88 carb to prevent blowing your power valve from a backfire through the carb. Holley didn't start doing this until 1989.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-125-500
__________________
Peter

SPECIAL PRICE
ST205/75R15 KENDA LOADSTAR ON 15X5 WHITE SPOKE WHEEL, BALANCED & DELIVERED - $125 EACH


Tandem Axle Packages Starting at $569 - 4 Aluminum wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.
Single Axle Package Starting at $319 - 2 Aluminum wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-17-2013, 09:13 PM
pbgbottle's Avatar
pbgbottle pbgbottle is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Boat: 1988 tristar 190
Location: Cloverdale B.C. Canada
Posts: 362
just to add another pic to thread mine is a 88 tristar. the carb number on my 4160 matched this rebuild kit. #703-29 not sure what the difference would be between the two holley renew marine kits,#703-47 and #703-29

but i thought i would post that there is another marine 4160 rebuild kit out there also ,
just in case someone reads this and may order the wrong one.

...
Attached Images
 
__________________


1988 mastercraft tristar (open bow).
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-18-2013, 11:33 AM
TRBenj TRBenj is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Boat: 1990 Ski Nautique
Location: NWCT
Posts: 1,149
There are a LOT of 4160 rebuild kits out there. I recommend getting the LIST number off your choke horn and calling the Holley tech line to verify which kit is the proper one for your carb. Otherwise, you stand the risk of getting a kit with the wrong parts or gaskets.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-18-2013, 11:37 AM
thatsmrmastercraft's Avatar
thatsmrmastercraft thatsmrmastercraft is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 15,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRBenj View Post
There are a LOT of 4160 rebuild kits out there. I recommend getting the LIST number off your choke horn and calling the Holley tech line to verify which kit is the proper one for your carb. Otherwise, you stand the risk of getting a kit with the wrong parts or gaskets.
Right on the money with that advice. Should you put the wrong kit in, your carb may run Ok, but it will never be right. A well tuned Holley is a wonderful thing!
__________________
Peter

SPECIAL PRICE
ST205/75R15 KENDA LOADSTAR ON 15X5 WHITE SPOKE WHEEL, BALANCED & DELIVERED - $125 EACH


Tandem Axle Packages Starting at $569 - 4 Aluminum wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.
Single Axle Package Starting at $319 - 2 Aluminum wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-18-2013, 02:05 PM
catamount catamount is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Boat: 1987 ProStar 190
Location: Vermont
Posts: 420
OP needs to take his list # and spend 10 minutes on the Holley site. It will tell you exactly which kit is required for the list.

https://www.holley.com/703-29.asp
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:09 PM.