Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 05-23-2013, 09:39 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1985 MC SS
Oxidation.

The 1985 SS I recently purchased needs a good rub. I thought about having it professionally clear coated but the first bid was $3500. I have researched and read that some folks wet sand using 400 through 1500 grit paper then apply rubbing compound and a quality wax. The results seem to appear nice.

Any one have some good ideas for this weekend project?

Thanks.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:06 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1988 ProStar 200, 1991 Mercury 2.5L 200hp XRi Outboard
Depending on condition of your finish you may need a wet sand (if heavily oxidized). If lightly oxidized you should be able to cut out the finish with a liquid compound applied by rotary buffer, follow with a polish to remove swirl marks and bring out the shine then finish off with a good quality wax. Keep the buffer moving and let it do the work for you. As long as you don't camp out on the decals they will be fine. Step back and admire your new found shine.

There are many good products out there that will get you the results you're looking for. I've used Meguiars number series products for years with great results. Their Flagship Marine Wax works very well too.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:11 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '83 Stars and Stripes
I did my boat this past spring. There was a heavy dull white oxidization in some areas...enough so that I did a 400 & 600 wet sand before compound.

You can do it yourself and learn as you go. Start with a good buffer. I like Makita, others prefer DeWalt, Porter Cable, etc. 3M has a nice series of products to get the results your looking for. The rest is your time.

The set-up will be costly at first, but a heck of a lot cheaper than having someone do it for you. Spend the money on the good stuff and you'll be happy you did.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:33 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: ProStar 190, 1989, 351W
Good info here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke5kfYz9Ybw
Somewhere between SML and LKG
Old 05-24-2013, 09:45 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '92 Maristar 240SC BB 454
Send a message via Skype™ to psychobilly
There's only about a hundred great threads in here on this subject already.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:17 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 ProStar 197 ProTournament Team
Send a message via AIM to TayMC197
Collinite 920 cleaner, try using this with a buffing wheel! I love this stuff for what it did to my boat.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:44 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 89 Mastercraft Prostar 190
Great vid above.. I personally shudder at the thought of hitting the gelcoat with something as course as 400 grit.. When I get to that point on my project boat, I was thinking more along the lines of starting with 800-1200 then hit it with compound.. Seems fairly aligned with 3M's process in the vid..
Old 05-25-2013, 09:29 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierSPL View Post
Great vid above.. I personally shudder at the thought of hitting the gelcoat with something as course as 400 grit.. When I get to that point on my project boat, I was thinking more along the lines of starting with 800-1200 then hit it with compound.. Seems fairly aligned with 3M's process in the vid..
I had some pretty heavy oxidation on my transom. I started with 600 then 1000, 1500, 2000, rubbing compound with a wool pad, finishing compound with a foam pad, then wax. Time consuming, but great results

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Tapatalk HD
Old 05-25-2013, 10:49 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft X2 2003 mcx
great video....

"Was it over when the German's bombed pearl harbor ?"
---Animal house
Old 06-10-2013, 12:20 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 02 X-Star
Gelcoat is much more stronger than automotive paint, so do not be afraid to buff it. I usually buff my boat at least once a season. I recommend investing in a good quality variable speed buffer. The cheap ones tend to be very heavy and make the job much harder. I use this one http://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=C...6cagpspn%3Dpla but any good quality tool manufacturer should have something suitable. When I bought my boat, it had been abandoned in the sun for 2/3 years uncovered. I used this http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawe...6EVs6E666666-- with a wool pad (more aggressive) or foam pad (less aggressive) and it brought all the depth and shine back to the boat. Just remember if you are doing a large surface, like a boat, wash your pad frequently to keep the compound from building up.

I would try to hit it with the polish before wetsanding. Modern polishes and compounds work wonders. As I said before, gelcoat is much stronger than automotive paint, so I would not be afraid to buff it with an orbital buffer, even if you do not have much experience.

Once you see the results a few hours work can bring, you are going to start buffing and polishing everything you can find. I've used mine on tile floors....