Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 05-22-2013, 12:36 PM

Boat: 06 X30
What NOT to do when installing ballast!!

I would normally not post this, but this video has so many things you should not do when installing a ballast system.

I can imagine a lot of ways to install ballast systems and then I can imagine things not to so.

1. Don't take water from the engine to fill ballast, ever. It just screams bad things. I don't care if you shut the engine off to use the water source.

2. Don't use non brass valves and fittings below the water line.

3. Never plumb a system that does not have a shut off valve at the hull level. IE through hull straight to a shut off source(brass valve). It's a Coast Guard requirement for a reason.

4. Don't run hoses, or anything for that matter, that might interfere with your steering!! Have you ever seen that video of the boat that can't turn and runs into the grand stands at a water show?

5. Do not leave a jointed electrical connections close to the waterline!

I'm sure we could go on and on and I'm not trying to hammer on the guy, I'll leave that to wake world, but really. Think about what you are doing and make sure safety is your first thought.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4xj6DlKW-w
Old 05-22-2013, 12:48 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
One recommendation as well - standard of practice to have a tapered bung the right size to "plug" your through hulls is a great practice in case you have a failure in the plumbing and a through hull valve that won't seal. It is therefore advisable to be able to "plug" the through hull, and folks who sail will have tapered wood bungs tied to the fittings to have it ready to go.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:39 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 Prostar 205V
I would be hesitant to install a check valve on the discharge side of a bilge pump because of the potential for the valve to fail closed.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:34 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 02 X-Star
Whats the legal side of non-brass valves below the waterline (ie can the coast guard hassle me)? The factory ballast in my boat has all plastic apart from the actual thru-hull fitting for the ballast. And it does not have a seacock on the engine water intake...
Old 06-10-2013, 02:36 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 "Tarbaby", 2001 Prostar 190 Donor "Holestar"
I've seen several Mastercraft OEM installs with a plastic on off valve, protected under the floor. PVC properly installed is fairly reliable.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:06 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2014 X-46 6.0L BSO-II Gen2+
MC nowadays uses these Forespar OEM Valves
Old 06-10-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Chief View Post
I've seen several Mastercraft OEM installs with a plastic on off valve, protected under the floor. PVC properly installed is fairly reliable.
What year and model Mastercraft did you see OEM non brass thru hull shut off valves on?
Old 06-10-2013, 08:38 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2014 X-46 6.0L BSO-II Gen2+
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
What year and model Mastercraft did you see OEM non brass thru hull shut off valves on?
Mine, a 2012 X-15, for cooling and ballast intakes. On a side note,Forespar also has a long list of other premium boat manufacturers using their products, for whatever that means...

Old 06-10-2013, 12:02 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Mine, a 2012 X-15, for cooling and ballast intakes. On a side note,Forespar also has a long list of other premium boat manufacturers using their products, for whatever that means...

Same for my 2010 X-15.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:04 PM

Well, that is news to me. I've never seen them before. Clearly the new boats use them and I'm wrong.

On the other hand, they are not the standard pvc shut off valves used in that video. I'm sure there's been some major testing done on them and had to be approved for use below the water line.

edit

Quote:
Forespar® "93" series of valves and thru-hull fittings meet all design criteria and exceed all mechanical property requirements specified by the international standards organization (ISO 150/188) "small craft-seacocks and thru-hull fittings-part 2: Non-metallic"
Not just some run of the mill home depot pvc valves.