Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 05-07-2013, 01:35 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2011 X-25
Unusual 7 pin connector

I just purchased a new to me MC and trailer and hooked it up for the first time. It's dark and I can't see for sure, but it looks like the 7 pin connector on the trailer only has 5 electrical connections. It has the slots for all 7, but there is no metal piece inside with which to make a circuit. I have running lights on the side and rear, but no left or right turn blinkers, no brake lights, and no reverse light.

Anyone else have this? Is there a reason somebody would have done this intentionally? I can see one or more of the electrodes breaking under use, but it doesn't look heavily used. On the other hand, nothing comes to mind why somebody would do this to their trailer on purpose. I don't find it possible the trailer was built this way so I likely just have to replace the 7 pin connector... I'm assuming the wires are in there somewhere and active, just not currently connected.

Now that I think about it, the previous owner did mention something about electronic brakes, but then reversed course and said he was thinking of his other trailer... Wondering if he disabled the brake lights for some reason because he had a different set up for brakes. Im not familiar with what electronic brakes even implies.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:08 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 ProStar 209
Kgrove, sorry to hear about your problems. Take a look at this thread, it may help: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ight+connector

Guaranteed, when TT wakes up tomorrow, they'll have the solution to your problem!

I'd take a pic of my connector, but the boat is still in storage with a foot of ice on the lake..

Good luck!
Old 05-07-2013, 02:09 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 Mastercraft X-Star
5 connections in a 7 way adapter is normal can't tell you what's wrong with your trailer lights as anyone will tell you trailer lights are evil

As for trailer brakes they aren't electronically engaged because they are what's called surge brakes they work with the weight of the boat pushing open and closed the cylinder in the tongue but the brakes are electrically dis-engaged when in reverse

Hope this helps
Old 05-07-2013, 02:31 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2011 X-25
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotjag941 View Post
5 connections in a 7 way adapter is normal can't tell you what's wrong with your trailer lights as anyone will tell you trailer lights are evil

As for trailer brakes they aren't electronically engaged because they are what's called surge brakes they work with the weight of the boat pushing open and closed the cylinder in the tongue but the brakes are electrically dis-engaged when in reverse

Hope this helps
I know the trailer brakes are SUPPOSED to be surge brakes, but I'm trying to figure out what the prior owner modified on this trailer. I'm fairly certain the prior owner modified the 7 pin connector to remove a couple important connections, but I can't figure out why. I need to figure out whether he also modified anything else. I don't want to go barreling down the highway and discover the hard way that he replaced the surge brakes with electric brakes since I have no brake controller.

I've got a question out to the PO as well, but he's not responding yet.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:16 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 Tige RZ2, previously 99 MC205
It might be that the person used a 7 pin connector for wires that were intended to be in a 4 pin connector. My boat trailer was hooked up like this when i bought it (used). It actually had 5 wires hooked up but only 4 were needed.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:24 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Your plug is a wired converted adapter. I have a 7 pin female connector with a 4 pin plug. I don't need 5 or even 7. When I add reverse lights and some other bling to the trailer I will be changing to a 5 or even full 7 connection plug.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:18 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 ProStar 205
These trailers only need 4 wires hooked up, 5 if it has disk brakes or reverse lights. Ground, running lights, left turn/stop, right turn/stop, and reverse is the fifth if it has disk brakes or back-up lights. My guess is either there are some bad connections (pretty good possibility if its the first time being used this year), or the wires are just in a different spot on the plug. I would grab a multimeter or test light and start testing.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:12 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1992 ProStar 205, 1991 Ski Pro
This diagram may help:

Trailer lights ARE evil. The very first thing to do is to make sure there's a good ground. Use a 12V circuit tester to make sure there's power at the plug on the back of your vehicle.

You should check trailer light fuses if there's no power at the back.

I had a problem a couple of years ago. Some light weren't working, I was using a round 7/flat 4 adapter. It turned out the problem was in the adapter. Go figure.

Last edited by Miss Rita; 05-07-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:04 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 ProStar 205
Quote:
Trailer lights ARE evil.
Yes.

Quote:
The very first thing to do is to make sure there's a good ground.
And Yes.

Its amazing some of the things I have seen happen due to a bad ground. Very good advice.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:16 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
I had this on my wife's car. For whatever reason, the car plug connector had the wires in the incorrect order. I pulled the car plug and boat plug apart and matched the car plug to the boat plug. You could also easily do this with a wiring diagram, too.