Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 04-15-2013, 11:03 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
PP - Gauge Pod?

Has anyone found a gauge pod to enclose the PP head-unit instead of swapping a dash gauge?

Something universal with a black finish that would hang out next to the console?

Other clever install pics?
Old 04-15-2013, 11:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 Malibu Echelon and 1985 Stars and Stripes
I've seen many setup with the "judge's display" mounted somewhere around the dash pod. It is a rectangular piece instead of round, though I'm not sure if it supports the new, larger displays for 6.5ng and later.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:34 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
If you really want something like that, it is not too hard to construct. I built a speaker pod recently to relocate the driver's side stereo speaker to a better listening position. This was my first fiberglass enclosure project. It was time consuming, but pretty easy.

Start with a ring in which to mount the gauge. Then, cut a base. Use dowels and other cut wood pieces to get the mounting ring at the right angle and attached to the base. Glue everything together. Buy some stretchy material at a fabric store (or use an old t-shirt) and stretch it around the ring and base starting at the ring and attaching it to the bottom of the base with hot glue. paint it with resin and let it dry. Repeat. Next, cut some fiberglass strips and apply them to your mold with resin. Build it up gradually. Obviously, leave the center of the ring untouched. You will cut it out later. Next, apply bondo over the fiberglass mold. Sand smooth. Finish with paint, vinyl or carpet (depending on what you're making.

I'm sure someone makes a gauge pod. But sometimes the marine stuff is just odd-sized enough to make custom fabrication necessary.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.