Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Old 04-11-2013, 10:54 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 Mastercraft X2
Cover Advice

After going through two factory covers I've decided to buy a Sunbrella cover for my 06 X2. The boat sits on a lift in florida on a salt water canal so the covers take a beating. I'm most likely going with skiboatcovers.com because of the good reviews I've read and because they offer gore tenera thread. I have a few quick questions:
- How good is it at not pooling water?
- Does it fit well?
- Most importantly, I'm trying to decide on going with a waterline cover or a regular cover with skirts. The most important considerations are the pooling and that it is easy to put on. My lift only has a dock on one side so the cover needs to be easy to put on with only access on one side. I also worry that the waterline cover won't be nice and tight because it doesn't cinch at the rub rail.

Thanks!
Old 04-11-2013, 11:13 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 1982 Skier19, Powerslot, 351PCM
I don't have any input, but I am also about to order a cover from them. I was going with the waterline fit, but you brought up a good question regarding cinching at the rubrail.

I suggest you give them a call and ask their opinion. I talked to them last year and they seemed helpful.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1996 Prostar 205
I just ordered a non-waterline last night. Call them up during the day, very helpful. He mentioned to me that if you do any trailering with cover on to not get a waterline fit.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:09 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakekrone View Post
I just ordered a non-waterline last night. Call them up during the day, very helpful. He mentioned to me that if you do any trailering with cover on to not get a waterline fit.
In general, the only covers suitable for trailering are well padded cockpit covers, IMO. The a fuller cover does not fit tight enough to prevent flapping regardless of how many straps go down to trailer. Trailering stresses the cover and will rub the fiberglass and graphics.

Looking at these covers, a full water-line cover will protect the side graphics better against fading.
I would make sure it covers the swim platform as well.
Chine skirt covers might also be advantageous if you have a solid colored hull to minimize sun fade.
Overall fit looks tight and smooth.
The downside to these larger covers is they are heavier to work with and store. They are manageable with one but my 24' can be a challenge in the wind.

Looks like they are sewn to tie in the rear which may present a problem.
They may be able to custom modify it at the mfg or expect to take it to a canvas shop to have them rework it (prob $150)
A couple tie downs on the side would probably be advisable to deal with wind.
If you have a flotation lift, another option may be to add a rear walking platform. This is common with performance boats so they can change props and maintain drives without trailering.

Water pooling would be the least of my concern. This is more a function of the boat profile.
Taylor Made has a good support pole and vent setup. I would take it to a canvas shop and have them punch a hole vs try to cut a round hole that may eventually tear out.

I purchased my Westland Exact fit sunbrella 8 yrs ago. Have been very happy with it. I had a canvas shop modify it for the tower (no towers in 1991) and they created side ties instead of the rear at the same time. It is an over rub rail style.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:12 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 09 X45
skiboatcovers.com all the way! I purchased my cover for my 05 X2 a couple of years ago and still get excited when covering my boat. I went with the black Sunbrella material and waterline fit. Mine sits on a lift but I have access to both sides and not the back. There are two clips on each side of my cover that both tighten. I think he can make adjustments if there are certain area you can not reach. Mine covers the swim platform as well and therefore the whole thing stays pretty snug as it has the platform to wrap around and slightly under. We get some pretty severe thunderstorms here in the south and it as not been a problem. The quality is first rate and I will never buy any other cover. Well worth the money.
Attached Images

Old 04-13-2013, 11:38 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2 towed by a 2012 Touareg TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnd90 View Post
skiboatcovers.com all the way! I purchased my cover for my 05 X2 a couple of years ago and still get excited when covering my boat. I went with the black Sunbrella material and waterline fit. Mine sits on a lift but I have access to both sides and not the back. There are two clips on each side of my cover that both tighten. I think he can make adjustments if there are certain area you can not reach. Mine covers the swim platform as well and therefore the whole thing stays pretty snug as it has the platform to wrap around and slightly under. We get some pretty severe thunderstorms here in the south and it as not been a problem. The quality is first rate and I will never buy any other cover. Well worth the money.
what kind of price? great looking cover
Old 04-14-2013, 10:18 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 09 X45
I paid around $950 shipped, that was going with Sunbrella fabric though. There are several other material options that should be considered based on use and weather conditions/exposure. I just called him up and talked through my exact situation and he made the cover based on his experience. Sunbrella because of the quality, life expectancy and breathability. Waterline fit as mine gets brief sun exposure on the back and wanted to protect teak platform and gel coat/stickers from fading. Side clips to tighten as I cannot reach my platfrom very well when on the lift. Worth every penny.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:44 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2005 X2
Before pulling the trigger be sure to check out Ameri-brand. http://www.websweeper.com/boatcovers/
The covers are made by Carver which is a reputable company.

I've purchased two covers from them and couldn't be more satisfied.
- The first was a black Sunbrella cover for my X5. It had the drawstring cinch and trailer tiedown straps.
- This spring I've just purchased a black Poly-Guard cover for my X2. (It is strapless and has the rubrail cinch band just like the OEM covers. In that style Sunbrella was not an option.)

When I was in the market I did check with skiboatcovers.com, Overtons, and others, and Ameri-brand was the cheapest.

For your 06 X2 a Sunbrella cover is listed at $615 here http://www.websweeper.com/boatcovers...9771-SUN-11045 That includes tiedown straps. Covers have a 10 yr. warranty. Waterline skirts are also available.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:15 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
Go waterline and just tell them what side you want it to tie on. They will gladly make the adjustment for you. When on they won't pool water. Fit is excellent.

1997 Prostar 190, TBI 350, 1:1, OJ XMP 13 x 11.5, Stargazer, Hot Shower, Heated Drivers Seat, Reuben/Mountain Rock/Nite Navy

Old 04-12-2013, 02:29 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1982 Skier19, Powerslot, 351PCM
I noticed skiboatcovers.com has the option on the tie off to be located on the drivers drivers side, passinger side or platform when ordering.

I also noticed yuou can add a chine cover to a waterline fit if you wanted overkill.

I am planning on ordering one the day I get my boat out of storage.