Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakeboarding & Wakeskating

Old 03-10-2013, 09:31 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft X2 2006
Which Wakeboard???

Anybody help? I have been wakeboarding for 10 years now and I have always had CWB Absolute boards. I wakeboard in the sea - usually in choppy water. I did have a Hyperlite Parks a few years ago but found it to be terrible unless the water was glass flat.
So ..... I fancy a new board but I live nowhere near any dealers so I can try boards. So I am stuck with buying off the web mail order. I am looking for something with a similar ride to my Absolute. Handles rough water - grippy edge - nice pop. I'm not an advanced rider - I'm 46 so I doubt I'll ever learn inverts. I just fancy a change. Any suggestions?
Old 03-10-2013, 09:53 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
I like my Hyperlite Murray. Not sure if it's what you'd like though. It's a rather loose but forgiving board. Being loose and having shallow fins you have to use the rails to cut with. Rides a lot like an over-sized trick ski. I occasionally ride out in Lake Erie which even on calm days has it's share of rollers. It seems to do well for me on a mix of conditions.

I had a Ronix One that had tremendous pop but it liked to catch edges. You really had to be on with that board or take a rather nasty digger. At my current level of riding I'd much rather slide out of a situation than take a face plant.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:35 AM
TT Regular

That would be my problem with a loose board. Every time you hit choppy water the board bounces out making it a pain in the a**e! It has to be grippy and not too floaty.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:23 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 X-star
Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
I like my Hyperlite Murray. Not sure if it's what you'd like though. It's a rather loose but forgiving board. Being loose and having shallow fins you have to use the rails to cut with. Rides a lot like an over-sized trick ski. I occasionally ride out in Lake Erie which even on calm days has it's share of rollers. It seems to do well for me on a mix of conditions.

I had a Ronix One that had tremendous pop but it liked to catch edges. You really had to be on with that board or take a rather nasty digger. At my current level of riding I'd much rather slide out of a situation than take a face plant.
The one is definitely a board you need to charge all the time and be in the right position or it can punish you. The newer shape isn't that bad, but its predecessors where killer

Previous : 2000 X-Star, 3000lbs ballast, LTR 330, Acme 1235 14.5X14.25prop. 1200 hrs of flawless fun
Old 03-11-2013, 02:59 PM
TT Regular

I tried a Ronix One in 2008 when I bought the X2 - a demo board. It rode nice but every time I landed it slid out on me. I know it's my crap technique but it doesn't happen with other boards. My friend has an O'Brien with 4 fins (not sure of the model) and I love the ride but surface spins are hard work to initiate. A bit too locked in.
With regard to the Transcend, is that better than my 2008 Absolute or will it be the same? I fancy a change but need it to ride rough water. I like the idea of more height than distance. I can clear the second wake quite easily.
Keep throwing ideas at me - I feel like I'm getting somewhere! Thanks!
Old 03-10-2013, 10:41 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marky-mark View Post
Anybody help? I have been wakeboarding for 10 years now and I have always had CWB Absolute boards. I wakeboard in the sea - usually in choppy water. I did have a Hyperlite Parks a few years ago but found it to be terrible unless the water was glass flat.
So ..... I fancy a new board but I live nowhere near any dealers so I can try boards. So I am stuck with buying off the web mail order. I am looking for something with a similar ride to my Absolute. Handles rough water - grippy edge - nice pop. I'm not an advanced rider - I'm 46 so I doubt I'll ever learn inverts. I just fancy a change. Any suggestions?
Never to old to learn inverts... - just another way to do a face plant..
Old 03-10-2013, 07:01 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
I went from a Liquid Force Witness which has some serious molded in fins to the Watson Classic which has molded in fins but are far smaller than the Witness. Both have removable center fins. I would say the Witness is more for a beginner that needs help with tracking of the board through the water. I like the Watson because it has quite a bit more pop but at the same time still has enough bite with the fins. My son has the Byerly Assault. Stay away from that board because it's sort of like trying to wakeboard on ice skates - no bite what so ever.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:19 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 X-star
I used to looooooooove the Absolute. It then Morphed into the Transcend. A new board that has the locked in feel, the smooth consistant pop, and speed similar to that in my eyes is the Ronix Mana 2010 version and on.

It is super consistent whether you're in the perfect position or not and the landings are soft. The edges have a nice bevel so it wont take off on you if you land out of blalance and bunish you. It is also a more "straight up" popping board with some snap than a board that will send you to the flats.................. although Dean Smith (The boards pro rider ) takes it huge every time. Its also a bit wider than a standard board so its super stable

Previous : 2000 X-Star, 3000lbs ballast, LTR 330, Acme 1235 14.5X14.25prop. 1200 hrs of flawless fun
Old 03-11-2013, 04:18 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Boatless!!! NXT? X2?
I ride a Ronix Vault and it seems to be a bit wider than most and also has the deeper molded fins for added stability. It is the one with dedicated toe and heel edges. It has a large center fin but it is removable. Once i removed the center fin, I had a locked in feel that still allowed for surface spins. It is more of a beginner to intermediate board, but my buddy switched to it after riding mine, and he had a similar board to you.

Could be worth a consideration.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:24 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MC, X-45, 2006, LQ9
Sling Shot enough said