Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 03-02-2013, 05:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 Tige RZ2, previously 99 MC205
Question about carpet replacement

Just wondering if anyone has replaced their carpet without splitting the hull from the top deck and what the results were like. I'm in the process of getting the boat ready for spring and the more i look at the boat i think i should replace the carpet. The boat is a 99 205dd so to do it properly i should split the boat, but i really don't know if that's something i should try on my own. So has anyone done a good job without splitting it? I generally don't like cutting corners but this time i'm thinking about it.

Thanks.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:14 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
I don't think you will need to pull the hull cap to do a good job. You might consider skipping the carpet in the storage areas. Doubt they are in bad shape.

Corinthian Marine Carpet

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:04 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retoxtony View Post
Just wondering if anyone has replaced their carpet without splitting the hull from the top deck and what the results were like. I'm in the process of getting the boat ready for spring and the more i look at the boat i think i should replace the carpet. The boat is a 99 205dd so to do it properly i should split the boat, but i really don't know if that's something i should try on my own. So has anyone done a good job without splitting it? I generally don't like cutting corners but this time i'm thinking about it.

Thanks.
No need to lift the deck unless you're all about perfection. I struggled with the same issue a few months ago and when I took my machine to Viper's for skins, I decided to have the carpet replaced while it was there. Issue was now in someone else hands. They told me they would pry the edges where the deck contacted the floor and remove / reinstall and not go under the deck. Worked for me.

Others have removed a few rivets above the areas of floor contact and lifted the deck with minimal movement to tuck the carpet, still not getting under the deck. Just passing on my experience. I wouldn't worry about it. Lift the edges and cut and replace.

One last thought, Viper's did indeed remove the combing pads and replace the carpet up the sides of the hull. They also cut around the fuel cell to replace the carpet to keep from removing the cell. Again, that is not in sight when it's done.

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Old 03-02-2013, 07:29 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 Tige RZ2, previously 99 MC205
So your saying i should be able to lift the edges of the floor enough to tuck in the carpet edges? I'm a little clueless on how everything is actually put together but i'm slowly learning.

And yes, i'm only planning on doing the floor itself. The other carpet in the lockers, and up the sides looks like new. I just figured since i'm going to have new upholstery, new stereo and a new tower, its gonna be a shame if the floor still looks like crap.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:37 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retoxtony View Post
So your saying i should be able to lift the edges of the floor enough to tuck in the carpet edges? I'm a little clueless on how everything is actually put together but i'm slowly learning.

And yes, i'm only planning on doing the floor itself. The other carpet in the lockers, and up the sides looks like new. I just figured since i'm going to have new upholstery, new stereo and a new tower, its gonna be a shame if the floor still looks like crap.
Yes.

It is my understanding that the guy who did mine cut just under the edge, removed the old carpet, and then tucked the new back in. It may seem hoakie without a visual but it is done very nicely.

The passenger seat pedestal can be unscrewed and lifted easily.

Attached Images

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Old 03-02-2013, 07:24 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 Falcon
Just replaced mine on the floor and I took it right up to the middle of the observers seat and under the helm. I did not do the sides but you could do everything without removing the top deck.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:39 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None
Once you pull your carpet most will go under your seat bases. I had cedar shims to raise mine but hardly needed them. The cedar shims came in handy for gluing though. I used them to hold the carpet up while waitng for the contact cement to tack up. I also used a weenie roller to spread the "spay on adhesive." I got it in one piece. Actually one each side and one on the floor.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:11 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 Tristar 190 and 1998 Baha Cruiser Mach 1 290
Wow that looks pretty sweet Nice Job.. How hard was it to do the bottom of the dog house?