Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 02-19-2013, 05:17 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1979 stars&Stripes
1979 stars and stripes

Iam starting to restore my 79 stars and stripes,I am new to boat restoration and would be very thankful for any of you to give me some advise, so far I know I haft to replace a section of a stringer that the transmission mounts to, I haft to replace the floor and all the upholstrey, The engine I have is in great shape and runs well, But the transmission needs rebulding, What advise would yall start me out at on these subjects and were do yall buy parts for this boat. Thanks , again any advice would be greatly welcomed
Old 02-19-2013, 05:24 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Welcome to Team Talk. You came to the right place in search of and and all info needed to bring your boat back to life. For starters, if the stringer under the transmission is bad, you should be replacing the whole thing. I have not heard of anyone piecing one together, but I suppose one could sister in support. And if you are in the process of replacing the floor, this would be a good opportunity to do the stringers.

Discount Inboard Marine has many of the parts you will need in servicing your boat. http://www.skidim.com/

You can get the trans parts from SKIDIM and do the work yourself if you are reasonably handy.

Would love to see some pictures.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Packages Starting at $569
4 Aluminum 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 tires, mount, balance & delivery.

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $319
2 Aluminum 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 tires, mount, balance & delivery.

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $125 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 02-19-2013, 06:49 PM
TT Newbie

Thanks I hope to post some pics this weekend, When you say replace the hole thing do you mean that whole stringer or all the stringers, the rest of the stringers in the boat seam pretty solid? I guess i shouldnt be concernd about cosmetics right now but i cant help to worry about the seating, mainly the observation seat some one has took the origanal out and put just a bench seat, I would like to get a more orignal look out of it could I just buil one out of wood?,And back to the stringers is douglas fir the best type of wood to replace them or coul I use treated pine?
Old 02-26-2013, 08:28 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1996 Prostar190
Quote:
Originally Posted by cewilkins View Post
Thanks I hope to post some pics this weekend, When you say replace the hole thing do you mean that whole stringer or all the stringers, the rest of the stringers in the boat seam pretty solid? I guess i shouldnt be concernd about cosmetics right now but i cant help to worry about the seating, mainly the observation seat some one has took the origanal out and put just a bench seat, I would like to get a more orignal look out of it could I just buil one out of wood?,And back to the stringers is douglas fir the best type of wood to replace them or coul I use treated pine?
Don't use treated anything! Fiberglas will not adhere to treated wood.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:30 PM
TT Newbie

I think iam gona go with the LVL material to replace stringers do yall see any problem with that,Do yall think they would be to heavy. Also ive been told not to use pt plywood for the floor, I have seen good results using it though, Why should I not use it?. And what do yall think is the best method for making a pattern for my stringers?
Old 02-19-2013, 07:39 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Not a MasterCraft
Hi and welcome to TT. I am also in the process of a restoration--a 77. I am almost ready to begin glassing in the stringers. I have a little more grinding to do. I went with Douglas fir for the stringer/s replacement I read a lot of negatives on the web about using PT lumber and fiberglass. I had a hard time locating Douglas fir in the south, but the local building supply finally was able to locate it for me. Where are you located? I'm in SW Georgia.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:05 PM
TT Newbie

I am in monticello Ga just a liltle above macon, I have been reading your post SWGA and it has gave me a lot of info, I just cant get over the cosmetis What are you goin do do about painting your boat ,How would you go about painting the bottom of the boat? I know I may be asking crazy questions to some of yall but Iam just trying to get my self prepared for what Iam bout to get into, I dont have alot of money but iam very mechanical inclined and have always been able to do just bout anything I set my mind to.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:02 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Don't hesitate on asking questions. There are plenty of people with a lot of knowledge on here and someone will have the answer. This stuff helps us terribly addicted folks get through the winter.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Packages Starting at $569
4 Aluminum 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 tires, mount, balance & delivery.

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $319
2 Aluminum 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 tires, mount, balance & delivery.

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $125 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 02-20-2013, 08:41 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Not a MasterCraft
Before you talk about paint, lets see what your hull looks like. May only need wet sanding and polishing. I have saw before and after gel coats on this site that look awesome. You would have never guessed it was the same boat.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:28 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 Pro Star 197 TT #58 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by cewilkins View Post
I am in monticello Ga just a liltle above macon, I have been reading your post SWGA and it has gave me a lot of info, I just cant get over the cosmetis What are you goin do do about painting your boat ,How would you go about painting the bottom of the boat? I know I may be asking crazy questions to some of yall but Iam just trying to get my self prepared for what Iam bout to get into, I dont have alot of money but iam very mechanical inclined and have always been able to do just bout anything I set my mind to.
I'm in Augusta. You can flip them pretty easy.
Attached Images