Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 02-14-2013, 12:16 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, Prostar 190, 1996, 350TBI
96 190 Fuel Tank Removal

In the process of restoring 96 190, I want to remove the fuel tank to clean the tank, replace fuel sending unit, and clean behind the tank. I understand the fuel system is high pressure. Should this cause me any concerns. Do I need to be aware of anything before the removal and install? Thanks.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:28 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced190 View Post
In the process of restoring 96 190, I want to remove the fuel tank to clean the tank, replace fuel sending unit, and clean behind the tank. I understand the fuel system is high pressure. Should this cause me any concerns. Do I need to be aware of anything before the removal and install? Thanks.
The high pressure is between the fuel pump (back of the engine) and the injectors, so no problems there.

Getting the tank out isn't too bad. Remove the two hoses at the top of the tank along with the wires to the fuel sending unit. I tied mine up high so they wouldn't leak out all the gas. It wouldn't be a bad idea to note which sending unit post the red wire is on, although I think it works either way. Take the screws out of the clamps that hold the tank to the floor. On my boat, I also took out the black plastic panels that separate the side ski storage from the tank area (2 screws each). The hardest thing to remove for me was the filler hose. I loosened the clamp and then slid the tank forward to give myself a little room. Then just slide the tank out, one end first.

I had to repair my sending unit, so when I had it out I took the tank sump out and cleaned the tank out. I had plastic shavings from when the tank was first put together and a dead field cricket to clean out, but other than that it was clean.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:37 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table Rocker View Post
The high pressure is between the fuel pump (back of the engine) and the injectors, so no problems there.

Getting the tank out isn't too bad. Remove the two hoses at the top of the tank along with the wires to the fuel sending unit. I tied mine up high so they wouldn't leak out all the gas. It wouldn't be a bad idea to note which sending unit post the red wire is on, although I think it works either way. Take the screws out of the clamps that hold the tank to the floor. On my boat, I also took out the black plastic panels that separate the side ski storage from the tank area (2 screws each). The hardest thing to remove for me was the filler hose. I loosened the clamp and then slid the tank forward to give myself a little room. Then just slide the tank out, one end first.

I had to repair my sending unit, so when I had it out I took the tank sump out and cleaned the tank out. I had plastic shavings from when the tank was first put together and a dead field cricket to clean out, but other than that it was clean.

Table Rocker, your the man. Now that's service, an answer in less than 30 min. Thank you!
Old 02-14-2013, 01:58 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced190 View Post
Table Rocker, your the man. Now that's service, an answer in less than 30 min. Thank you!
My pleasure, good luck with it. If you don't already have an inline filter on top of the tank, now is a good time to put one there. A WIX 33003 and two hose clamps does the trick.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:16 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: PS190
Check the inlet on the pump as well..there is a small screen that clogs easily....

Also, have you checked the engine water pump.. being a '96 I bet that pump is ready to fail any day now. I replaced my '97 last spring and the pump was shot...rusted inside...etc.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:44 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Filler hose replacement experience:

Order a new piece of hose and cut the current hose to separate from fuel cell and filler neck. Saves a ton of headache and scratches (or in my experiences). That hose is hardened and is difficult to remove, thus I succumb to a quick cut and replacement.

$0.02

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Old 02-15-2013, 10:22 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloaked View Post

Order a new piece of hose and cut the current hose to separate from fuel cell and filler neck. Saves a ton of headache and scratches (or in my experiences). That hose is hardened and is difficult to remove, thus I succumb to a quick cut and replacement.

$0.02

Great advice. Been down that road before.

Tandem Axle Trailer Special
Includes: 4 T07 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda
Loadstar KR03 Radial tires, mount and balance
Free Delivery

ALUMINUM WHEEL AND TIRE PACKAGES
SINGLE AXLE 14" PACKAGE STARTING AT $369
SINGLE AXLE 15" PACKAGE STARTING AT $439
TANDEM AXLE 14" PACKAGE STARTING AT $649
LED lights, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts
GOLF CART TIRES & WHEELS

PM me or email tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 02-15-2013, 10:29 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloaked View Post

$0.02

Thanks for the advice Cloaked, anything that saves time and blood you can count me in on. 👍

Tags
190, fuel, prostar, tank