Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 01-25-2013, 06:20 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, MariStar 200 VRS, 1998, LT1
Guide Pole Covers (again)

I am up for replacements and need advice. I searched TT for a while and found that people have the ebay plain ones without silkscreen, as well as the Mastercraft screened ones. I am leaning toward the heavy duty Mastercraft ones that are open on one end and sit high on the guide poles. I currently have some old Straight Line, open on both ends, that have seen better days. My poles measure 1.9" in diameter. The heavy duty MC ones state that they will work for 2" poles. My concern is sloppiness. Since they will be riding high, I don't want them blowing off. Questions:

1) Who has the HD MC ones with 1.9" poles and do they stay on fine?
2) Anyone had both the open on one end ones, and the plain ebay ones (open on both ends) and which did you like better?
3) There are white marks on my rub rail where the Straight Line decals have rubbed off. I know this will happen again with the MC ones. To silkscreen or not to silkscreen? (I would say I am an 8 on the MCOCD scale. Not a bilge waxer, but I am considering it if I get bored)

Thanks in advance for the opions and advice.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:27 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2007 X2
Bilge waxer... I had the same trouble and went went the plain janes.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:05 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2010 MasterCraft X25
Ordered the Mastercraft Guide Pole Covers from my local dealership. My previous ones lasted 7hrs. I took them off and stored them when the ProStar200 wasn't on the trailer. I had the covers that we're open on both ends but ordered the new heavier duty ones with one open end.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:51 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStar200 View Post
Ordered the Mastercraft Guide Pole Covers from my local dealership. My previous ones lasted 7hrs. I took them off and stored them when the ProStar200 wasn't on the trailer. I had the covers that we're open on both ends but ordered the new heavier duty ones with one open end.
I'm hoping you meant to say 7yrs!
Old 01-26-2013, 12:17 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2010 MasterCraft X25
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneBoatN View Post
I'm hoping you meant to say 7yrs!
Nice proof reading by me. Ya, 7yrs not 7hrs.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:18 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 ProStar 190
I have the Mastercraft guide pole covers.

Got them from Midwest MC. Are they nice? Yes

Are they grossly overpriced? Yes. 2 sections of what is essentially pipe foam and two (made in China for sure) nylon covers with the MC logo. For $50?

But the MCOCD is what it is.

I take em off when the trailer is outside or left unattended. Too easy to be gone when you get back!
Old 01-25-2013, 11:28 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumbergh View Post
I have the Mastercraft guide pole covers.

Got them from Midwest MC. Are they nice? Yes

Are they grossly overpriced? Yes. 2 sections of what is essentially pipe foam and two (made in China for sure) nylon covers with the MC logo. For $50?

But the MCOCD is what it is.

I take em off when the trailer is outside or left unattended. Too easy to be gone when you get back!

I got the red ones. In no time short they were faded by the sun. Oh, and my boat lives in the garage even during the season. But I do like the look of red so I'll do it all over again. Can't have something that clashes with the color scheme of the boat now can we now.

I am however thinking of making them myself so that I can personalize them a bit. But I'll have to get my wife to teach me how to use her sewing machine. I'm not sure she'll let me touch it. Maybe I'll wing it and see how it goes. Most likely I can find some instructional material on YouTube. What the wife doesn't know will not kill here - easier to ask for forgiveness afterwards than to ask for permission beforehand.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:32 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Brenda at in-tow makes kick back protectors for ski ropes out of sunbrella. If you can get some guide pole covers made out of sunbrella, that would be ideal.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:58 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, MariStar 200 VRS, 1998, LT1
I can check with our local upholstery shop to see if they will make some out of sunbrella. It sounds like the opinions so far are personal choice. Colors to match - go with the ebay ones. MCOCD, go with the MC official ones but pay a little more. Any thoughts on the two open ends vs. the one open end that sits up high?
Old 01-26-2013, 02:27 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X2
I bought the standard ones from mastercraft by design a couple of years ago. They are $30 plus about $10 shipping. I have been really happy with them. They are a steal compared to the prices they have on everything else.
http://www.mastercraftbydesign.com/index_652.asp