Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 01-21-2013, 03:49 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1990 Tristar 190 Sport
Sea-Deck

I have had an unfortunate experience dealing with this company. I called to order a deck pad for my Tristar - per their website the price would be $240 for the deck plus $60 for the faux teak look, and $30 to have the mastercraft logo. Rather expensive I thought but there does not seem to be anybody else doing this work and it seems they have a premium product. Anyway, the sales associate told me I would get a mock-up in my e-mail after about a week when their designer had it drawn out and I could then approve the design and they would start the production. After about a week, I did get their design. I wanted a few small changes - different mastercraft logo and different size of the faux teak "planks". They did not ask details on the front end and I thought that I would work out the final design with the designer when I received the email. Their reply was that they needed another $75 to make any changes and when I pressed, they said the original price was only for what is on their web site and anything else is "custom". Of course, what is on their website is a plain mat so anything would be custom.
They wound not honor their original quote and I have cancelled my order because it had become just too expensive.
Bottom line, be very specific when you first talk to this company or you may get sticker shock when they add on extra charges once they think you are committed.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:54 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 MasterCraft X-30
That sucks...
Old 01-21-2013, 04:57 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
how was the MC logo being applied sewn? embroidered?
Old 01-21-2013, 05:14 PM
TT Enthusiast

Wow. I had a good experiance, but Ordered right off the menu. Finding pictures of what I wanted was difficult on thier website. Basically mine just copied what someone else ordered for the Maristar.

Not that it helps, but the final product does look great on the boat.

Rob
Old 01-21-2013, 05:15 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 MasterCraft X-30
Pretty sure it's laser cut into the material.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:16 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
That's too bad. I had a great experience with them. I did however get all the details worked out upfront and then they send me a quote once I was happy with what they had.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:44 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '03 X-30, LQ9
Jim at Viper Customs works with Sea Deck material. He showed me a platform piece that he had cut and routed for a Malibu. May want to give him a call.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:52 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1990 Tristar 190 Sport
Thanks, I will do that. I do like the look, just cant justify over $400 for a swim deck pad. If it doesn't work out, I'll order material from Hydro-Turf and cut it our myself. It not like it is a hard shape or something. I will say Sea-Dek was prompt in their replies and i appreciated that, I just didn't like their answer!
Old 01-22-2013, 10:57 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 - SammyD Edition
Quote:
Thanks, I will do that. I do like the look, just cant justify over $400 for a swim deck pad. If it doesn't work out, I'll order material from Hydro-Turf and cut it our myself
I just got my hydroturf in the mail. I would suggest getting the diamond cut. I got the flat sheet and while its not slick it seems to scratch easier. I'll update though when I get mine redone
Old 04-02-2013, 09:33 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Boatless!!! NXT? X2?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02ProstarSammyD View Post
I just got my hydroturf in the mail. I would suggest getting the diamond cut. I got the flat sheet and while its not slick it seems to scratch easier. I'll update though when I get mine redone
I was thinking about ordering the hydroturf for my trailer. The only thing is i need two long strips for the fenders so I need to make sure the diamond cut would run the long way. Did yours run the long way or the short way? I know the sheets are rectangular in shape.

Sorry for the thread jack! Let us know how the Hydroturf works in your application. My buddy just had great results with it on his new standup.