Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakesurfing

Old 01-17-2013, 11:03 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft, X-30, 2001, 5.7l vortec
2001 X30 wakesurf set up

I just bought a 2001 X30. This is my first boat. What size bags should I use over my stock ballast to surf?
Old 01-18-2013, 08:06 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 MasterCraft X-30
You'll want at least another 400lbs in the rear on your surf side and a couple hundred up front. Check out wakemakers.com
Old 01-24-2013, 09:49 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 X30 LTR
welcome to the forum. wakemakers is a good place to look. our current setup is (02 X30)

hard tanks removed
750# bags in each rear locker
stock banana bag in ski locker

each of these has its own pump but it feeds off the stock manifold.

it surf wake is ok. its nothing like some of these guys with newer 30's or 45's with tons of ballast. when my kids surf and i'm sitting in the rear corner seat their wave is much better than when i'm surfing and only my kids and wife are in the boat. my solution to this will be to replace the 750's with 1100's in each locker. i'd like some more weight up front, but that will probably have to wait till next year.

with the front and starboard bags full (we're all goofy), we'll set the PP to 10.5 for the kids and a little slower for adults.

also, if you are going to run big bags in the lockers, you will want to reinforce the dividers so they aren't being held tight against your exhaust.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:11 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2001 X-30 "Surf Edition", LTR, 2079 prop, FAE, straight silencers, 3000# ballast, custom platform, manual surf fin, 1050 Hours and counting
Two things: one brute force, the other a more interesting work-in-progress

Brute Force: We have 1100# sacs in each locker, 900# sac on floor, stock tube sac in the floor, and a 540# sac up front. Fill the 1100# sac on surf side, and move the 540# sac to surf side front seat. We have the wakemakers x-link system so can switch sides in 5-10 minutes. The 900# sac sits on floor in front of the back seat, so really just makes a nice big sitting area. Bowfiller cushion makes it pretty easy to roll the 540# side-to-side.

Goofy wake is very good, regular wake is good, will never be as good as a deep-V hull.

More interesting work-in-progress: Malibu's surfgate is very interesting because it "yaws" the hull instead of just pushing down on a corner, so I am toying with a manual fin similar to all the threads on the malibu and centurion sites.

First attempt looked just like surfgate. I worked VERY well; no more 900# sac on the floor, replicated my goofy wake, and my regular wake was the best ever. Downside, there was a lot of drag so engine ran 500 RPMs faster than usual. In addition, the regular side wake required tons of oversteering, so had to physically hold the wheel in place.

Second attempt was very different. Instead of sticking out the side, the second fin was narrow and deep. Tried it yesterday for the first time and it is VERY promising. Wake looks very good on both sides, and much less drag so no more "steering issue" on the regular side. Have not surfed it yet, so idea if the wave has any push.

More info later, probably in a new thread.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:58 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft VRS230 2001 LTR
bhanson,
I'm curious about your surfgate (delayed wave convergence) trial attempts. I have the same hull and would like to do something similar. I did not see a follow up thread. thanks
Old 08-01-2013, 11:59 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC 2002 X30
check your prop also, you may want to change pitch to avoid loading your motor. Call Eric at OJ props he can help you

I have a 900 in my corner locker (port side) you need to decide which side you want to surf on or change out both sides, bought from wakemakers (talk to Spencer), took 15 minutes to pull out old and put in new. One thing I would do is extend the hose to the new bag from your pump. It will reduce the kink in hose and allow for better water flow. Did this on vacation and improved my fill and empty time.

since you are going to order items you should also get new impellers (green) change them out on your pumps. Keep the old ones for spares if needed. wakemakers also

I spent some money on vacation for lessons with my kids and the instructor said my wake was very similar to the newer boats

I received a ton of help from the forum so trying to pay it back and help others, so if you need more info let me know I just did all of the items you are looking for
Old 06-30-2014, 10:37 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2001 Mastercraft X-30
Does anyone know how much the weight the stock rear hard tanks hold in the 2001 X30? I'm trying to get my surf set up dialed in correctly as well. Have a 750# sac in middle locker(replaced stock bag), another smaller sac in front (not certain of size, somewhere around 350-500# I think), and I am assuming I am going to need to add another fat sac to the rear locker of the side we are surfing on. I am not sure how much additional weight I will need for that rear locker.? Would 500# be enough, 750#, or all the way up to the 1100#?

Thank you for any input.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:17 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 X30 LTR
you're probably better off pulling the stock hard tanks and going with an #1100 bag in each corner. where did you get a #750 for the ski locker?
Old 06-30-2014, 11:59 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2001 Mastercraft X-30
It is a fly high 750# bag that came with the boat when I got it. The stock yellow bag in ski locker wasn't in very good shape, so I pulled it out and have just put the 750# sac in there for the time being. I haven't set it up to fill/empty like the standard ballast with flip of a switch, I just fill it up with the tsunami pump as much as I can with room given in the ski locker. There isn't enough room to completely fill it up in the ski locker, but I bet it is around 500# or so in there.

I have read a little bit on removing the hard tanks and replacing with the 1100# sacs, I'm just not certain how difficult that will be and how much that will cost? I know how much the 1100# sac's are, but will there be anymore cost for me to get them installed.? Is it very difficult? From what uplander has said above, it doesn't sound like it would be too difficult to get it switched out.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:04 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 MasterCraft X-30
I'm about to do the 1100 swap and it is super easy. Literally remove lines from hardtanks, remove hardtanks, hook up lines to bags. Done