Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 01-15-2013, 12:20 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 - SammyD Edition
Gas tax+boat

Guys just wanted to remind some of you with the new year that many of you (especially nc guys) need to keep your reciepts for your boat gas this year. In NC your refund is roughly 34 cents a gallon. May not sound like much but if you burn gas like we do you could be due for a 300+ dollar refund at the end of the year. Thats pretty much your insurance bill for the year paid back by the state for tax usage you shouldn't be paying! d*** the man, save the empire. For state specific info check here

http://www.discoverboating.com/ownin...taxrefund.aspx
Old 01-15-2013, 01:02 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
lol...not surprised that Illinois is not on the list... more $$$ for this state to waste any way they want.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:30 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Prostar 205
Has anyone done this before and had to show documentation for their number of gallons claimed?

For TX it states, "refund claims must be supported by fuel receipts containing the following information:
name and location of sellar
name of purchaser
type of fuel purchased
date of purchase
number of gallons purchased
price per gallon
amount of tax paid on fuel

That is a lot of information I don't have! I figure I'll try and see if they request documentation.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:38 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 - SammyD Edition
^thats why I posted the reminder. We started saving receipts last year. Just wrote boat on them and stuffed them in the glovebox. Just in case
Old 01-15-2013, 04:29 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, X2, 2004, Violet (purple) & white ... previous 1983 black/silver stars
Quote:
Originally Posted by _fng_ View Post
Has anyone done this before and had to show documentation for their number of gallons claimed?

For TX it states, "refund claims must be supported by fuel receipts containing the following information:
name of purchaser
type of fuel purchased
date of purchase
price per gallon

That is a lot of information I don't have! I figure I'll try and see if they request documentation.
but appears to be $0.20 (20 cents) per gallon with only a 2% (or 2 cent?) hold back for filing. I have gone thru 30 gallons a day ($6 rebate minus hold back), so it could add up pretty quickly with our long boating season here in Texas.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:49 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2013 X-30
Quote:

name of purchaser
type of fuel purchased
date of purchase
price per gallon

All that information is on your receipt if you pay with a credit card. I have been doing this for boat and jet skis for years in Texas. I just keep all the reciepts and write on the back "put in 5 gallon cans for use in boat" (for some reason their office wants this on there). Collect them all summer then mail it all off with the proper form to get your road tax money back! They will send you a check within a month or so.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:21 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimper View Post
AI just keep all the reciepts and write on the back "put in 5 gallon cans for use in boat" (for some reason their office wants this on there)
Interesting - so you did not tape the receipts to an 8x11 sheet of paper like I thought I'd do...?

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 08-01-2013, 01:18 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2013 X-30
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxsRiverRat View Post
Interesting - so you did not tape the receipts to an 8x11 sheet of paper like I thought I'd do...?
Haven't needed to do that in the past.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:21 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Quote:

name of purchaser
type of fuel purchased
date of purchase
price per gallon

Just hang on to your receipts. I have done this for many years now. Typically, it's 5 lines of info on a one page form and wait for your check. They have "audited" me twice over the years. I send them my receipts and answered their questions (I save my answers and have reused them). The receipts don't show the tax on fuel paid, but I have always gotten a refund.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:37 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Well, unfortunately I get screwed again in CA. At http://www.sco.ca.gov/ardtax_gastax_....html#sect2671 under the Gas Tax Refund General FAQ it says:

Quote:
Is a refund available for the tax paid on gasoline used in a vessel?

Refunds of the tax paid on gasoline are available if the vessel is used in the ocean beyond the three (3) mile limit. Refunds of the tax paid also are available if used in propelling a vessel operated by its owner on waters located on private property owned or controlled by the claimant.
I have my receipts from 2010. A log of good they are going to do me.

Last edited by GoneBoatN; 01-15-2013 at 01:48 PM.