Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 01-14-2013, 09:32 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1996 MasterCraft Prostar 190 Sammy Duvall
Exhaust Leak?

Friends: I've been chasing a water leak on my 1996 PS 190. I already repacked the shaft, so now I've moved on to the exhaust. Yesterday I loosened everything (mufflers, pipes, flanges) and I don't see any obvious failing parts or issues. So I'm thinking I'll seal the flanges and put it all back together.

I want to ask you guys A - what type of sealer should I put between the flange and the transom? B - Should I apply any sealer/caulk to the flange/muffler/pipe connections? C - Anything else I should be looking for while everything is in pieces?

Thanks in advance for the quality replies. This forum is full of great info. One of the great benefits of owning an MC!

-Thanks -Adam
Attached Images

Old 01-14-2013, 09:50 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wake190 View Post
Friends: I've been chasing a water leak on my 1996 PS 190. I already repacked the shaft, so now I've moved on to the exhaust. Yesterday I loosened everything (mufflers, pipes, flanges) and I don't see any obvious failing parts or issues. So I'm thinking I'll seal the flanges and put it all back together.

I want to ask you guys A - what type of sealer should I put between the flange and the transom? B - Should I apply any sealer/caulk to the flange/muffler/pipe connections? C - Anything else I should be looking for while everything is in pieces?

Thanks in advance for the quality replies. This forum is full of great info. One of the great benefits of owning an MC!

-Thanks -Adam
RTV silicone for me.

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Old 01-14-2013, 10:02 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
I have a small leak at the front end of my Silent Master muffler that I need to repair this winter. It is a tiny hole where the horizontal cylinder meets the plug at the end. Since it is below water line, it leaks while sitting still more than when it is running.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:27 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
I would use 3M 5200. Screws optional.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:46 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinGA View Post
I would use 3M 5200. Screws optional.

I would advise against the 5200 on this application...too good an adhesive... RTV Silicone more than adequate....
Old 01-14-2013, 11:45 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 Tristar 190 and 1998 Baha Cruiser Mach 1 290
I am going through the same process I wonder what the best method of getting the old silicone off?
I was thinking the 3-M might be to tough to get off if I ever had to do this over in the future or does that come off about as tough as silicone comes off?

I also got some t-bolt hose clamps for the flange connection, might be a little bit of over kill but I don't want to get to the rear end more than once because it is tight in the tristars..
Old 01-15-2013, 10:05 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 Ski Nautique
RTV silicone has no business below the water line of a boat! Sheesh.

5200 is what I'd choose... not sure why you'd want to do this job again in the future? 5200 would be a PITA to remove if you did, but thats because its good at what it does (sealing below the waterline). If absolutely necessary, it could be undone though.

3M 4200 or Boat Life Caulk are 2 other slightly less permanent options.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:43 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRBenj View Post
RTV silicone has no business below the water line of a boat! Sheesh.

5200 is what I'd choose... not sure why you'd want to do this job again in the future? 5200 would be a PITA to remove if you did, but thats because its good at what it does (sealing below the waterline). If absolutely necessary, it could be undone though.

3M 4200 or Boat Life Caulk are 2 other slightly less permanent options.
I would have to disagree on the use of RTV below the waterline in that application. Especially the location of use and the draft these boat have. But I will agree polyurethane and poly sulfides are better sealants.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 99' Sportstar
I had this same problem on my 99' last summer. Used some good permatex RTV gasket maker. Worked great!

Did the same on my raw water intake fitting this fall as well.

The oem sealant dries up.

Put a nice bead in a concentric circle about where the screw holes are. I added a little to each screw as I tighten them back in.

Old 01-15-2013, 01:55 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 Ski Nautique
The only thing I would be using silicon for on my boat would be to seal the cupholders!

Permatex RTV has its place inside the engine (intake manifold gaskets, etc), but not on the hull.

Seriously, below the waterline? Thats just a bad idea. You get a leak there and your boat can sink. A marine sealant meant for underwater gear would be the proper thing to use.