Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 01-11-2013, 07:38 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1993 190, 750sx, Aquatrax
starter only clicks

Hi everyone,
For about the last 6 months, my starter has gotten more problematic. When I turn the switch, it just clicks. I think that is just the solonoid closing. I can turn the switch on and off for maybe 25 to 50 times, and it will eventually turn the engine over. I can put a screwdriver across the terminals on the starter and it sparks when it makes the connection, but does not turn the engine over. This should remove the solonoid as a problem. Is this my starter going bad?
thanks,
Greg
Old 01-11-2013, 07:53 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 Prostar 197
Have you tried this while running lights and other accessories? If not, give it a try. If you find that your lights dim when you turn over the key, then it could be something as simple as a poor ground or battery connection. If the lights don't dim, then I would suspect the starter.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:54 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 Ski Nautique
Either a bad starter or low voltage. Low voltage can be caused by the battery itself, but that would most likely be ruled out of the boat eventually starts fine. More likely is a bad connection on one of the battery cables, or the battery cables themselves (corroded). Check every single connection from the battery to the motor to the solenoid to the starter, both positive and ground. Make sure theyre tight and clean, with no evidence of corrosion (green or black on the cables themselves = bad). Clean and tighten them all just to be safe. Dont forget your connection to ground through the starter case to bellhousing as well.

If the cables or terminations look bad, then replace them with a new set- make sure there tinned with good sealed connectors, and dont cheap out on undersized wire.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:19 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 - SammyD Edition
^what he said. Charge the batteries well, check voltage at the batteries and at the starter.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:46 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
X2 on what TRBenj said. Always start with the basics. All connections need to be clean and corrosion free. Be sure to take each one apart and clean........looking clean and being tight don't get the job done.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $629
4 Matte Black T08 14x6 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $379
2 Matte Black T08 14x6 wheels, 2 ST215/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND. $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 01-11-2013, 08:53 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1993 190, 750sx, Aquatrax
starter

I put a new battery in this summer thinking it was the battery. It didn't help.
I guess I will get mine rebuilt.
thanks for the help.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:01 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregBR549 View Post
I put a new battery in this summer thinking it was the battery. It didn't help.
I guess I will get mine rebuilt.
thanks for the help.
I think you're jumping the gun on going straight for a rebuild. Throwing the battery didn't fix the problem, the starter might not be it either. You are most likely dealing with corrosion somewhere here, although it could be within the starter. When is the last time you cleaned all the battery terminals? Also a reminder to apply a little dielectric grease to these connections before re-assembly to help ward off any future corrosion.

Note: cleaning the terminals should be done on an annual basis to avoid no-start problems.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $629
4 Matte Black T08 14x6 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $379
2 Matte Black T08 14x6 wheels, 2 ST215/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND. $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 01-11-2013, 09:03 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
I think you're jumping the gun on going straight for a rebuild. Throwing the battery didn't fix the problem, the starter might not be it either. You are most likely dealing with corrosion somewhere here, although it could be within the starter. When is the last time you cleaned all the battery terminals? Also a reminder to apply a little dielectric grease to these connections before re-assembly to help ward off any future corrosion.

Note: cleaning the terminals should be done on an annual basis to avoid no-start problems.
^^+1 great advice
Old 01-11-2013, 09:03 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
You can take the starter to almost any autopart or autoparts electrical rebuilder shop to have it tested iirc... benchtest will determine power overdraw if bad or something else wrong...what year boat - engine?
Old 01-11-2013, 03:00 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 Ski Nautique
If the boat was run any significant amount, the alternator would have topped off the new battery. That being said, hopefully you didnt buy a deep cycle (marine) battery? Those are intended for long, slow draws (trolling motors and stereo systems) and not short, high amp draws like starting a V8 engine. If thats what you have, then it may be a big part of your problem.

I cant tell you how many times I have seen this happen on my boats or others. Dozens. Have replaced 2 starters, so they do go out and cause these symptoms... but they are the true cause <10% of the time. So I agree with those above who are telling you that replacing the starter at this point is premature.