Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 01-09-2013, 12:26 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 - SammyD Edition
Tennessee folks (road /travel advice)

Ok guys I have a logistical nightmare ahead of me. I'm on the brink of committing to having the interior redone by viper in maryville, tn. We are in Raleigh, NC but visiting some family in Spruce Pine, NC in feb. I'm highly concerned (to be mild) about towing an the boat that far period but Feb in the mountains sounds like a real ball buster. It shows me going

226 to 107
107 through Johnson City
Up by 26 to 81
81 o 129

Is this crazy to do in Feb? Roads decent or is this going to be one of those things I regret due to snow etc?

The plan would be to do it in 2 segments.
Raleigh to spruce pine-3hr 45 min
Spruce Pine to Maryville-3 hours
Old 01-09-2013, 12:33 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC ProStar 209, 2001, LTR, Blue
I don't think you will have a problem, unless there are mechanical issues with either the tow vehicle or the trailer. I towed my '88 PS190 from raleigh NC to Kittyhawk (bought the boat on vacation) Then about 10-11 hr trip back to Ohio from OBX. And I was towing with a 6cyl (4400lb towing capacity). Take it easy, respect the load and road conditions and you will be fine. But, I have a class A CDL, so I'm used to it.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:36 PM
TT Regular

I've done 4 and 5 hour hauls before but flying down i95 doesn't freak me out as much as possible snow+mountains. Wasn't sure how well these roads are maintained during winter.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:28 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02ProstarSammyD View Post
Ok guys I have a logistical nightmare ahead of me. I'm on the brink of committing to having the interior redone by viper in maryville, tn. We are in Raleigh, NC but visiting some family in Spruce Pine, NC in feb. I'm highly concerned (to be mild) about towing an the boat that far period but Feb in the mountains sounds like a real ball buster. It shows me going

226 to 107
107 through Johnson City
Up by 26 to 81
81 o 129

Is this crazy to do in Feb? Roads decent or is this going to be one of those things I regret due to snow etc?

The plan would be to do it in 2 segments.
Raleigh to spruce pine-3hr 45 min
Spruce Pine to Maryville-3 hours
From Spruce Pine, drop down to I-40 and go west through the gorge. Interstate 40 will be kept clear if any bad weather. I have traveled that route many times. Come into Knoxville on I-40/I-75 (overlapping for a few miles), take I-140 east to mile marker 12 and exit there. Go south on Alcoa highway, past the Knoxville airport, bear right at the next main intersection and follow hwy 411 south for about 12 miles to Viper's place. Land mark for getting close to the place on the 4-lane (411) is two old tall barn silos on the left (going south). It's just on up the highway a few more miles on the left. Easy to miss but you'll know the place as you drive by it if you happen to miss it. No big deal.

Forget Johnson City. Damn that is a long way out of there and you're likely to hit more bad weather (if any at all) on that route. Typically, TN doesn't get much bad weather, nothing that the road crews aren't already on top of.

Viper's is outside of Maryville on down the road, so if you get through Maryville and wonder where the place is located, keep going on out into the rural area. You'll eventually get there. "Maryville" is misleading.

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Last edited by Cloaked; 01-09-2013 at 08:34 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: current 02 X7 / 197, past 98 PS 190
I agree 100% with Cloaked. From Spruce Pine, go south to I-40 and stick with I-40 all the way to Knoxville. You need to avoid those high mountain two lane roads along the TN / NC state line, esp towing a boat. If it does snow, those high areas get alot more snow that the area along I-40.

Take some pics along the route with your boat, and post here. Its a scenic drive.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:13 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2009 Mastercraft X-45
Are you getting the carpets replaced or just the vinyl? If you don't want to tow the boat, just pull all seats and pack them in the truck with you. I know its a little more work on your end but it would ease your nerves about towing through TN.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:02 AM
TT Regular

Yea think I've actually canned this. Talked to the general (wifey wannabe) last night and she can't get the time off work to stay up there for a few days to let them finish. She was also far less happy when I said we could just drive the 16hr roundtrip 2x with just our 5x8 trailer lol. Plan ended and we are just gonna send off the skins. Have a buddy 2 hours down the road that does some upholstery work and hes gonna help me do the skins. Was shocked he agreed to beer and materials and beats the mess out of 500 in gas+32 hours of window time.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:17 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 MasterCraft X-30
I can't wait to see your skins all finished up. I'm in the talks with Jim right now. I live just north of Nashville, so the drive isn't so bad for me. About 3 hours. What colors are you going with?