Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 01-02-2013, 12:01 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '99 205V
Trailer Maintenance

I'm wondering what you guys do for trailer maintenance. Particularly, the wheel bearings. Sometime this past season, one of the trailer buddy bras came off one one of the wheels of my trailer, so the grease was exposed to water and such (not sure when it came off, but it was there at the start of the season). I've got a replacement coming, but how often do you guys replace wheel bearings/grease/etc., and are there any products you recommend?
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2013, 12:31 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
The Bearing Buddy, if properly filled, is under a slight amount of pressure and won't let any water in if the dust cover falls off. Under the FAQ section on the Bearing Buddy website, they address the time and replacement interval. As long as you keep the grease filled properly, and you don't feel any amount of play with the axle jacked up and attempting to move the wheel in and out, or feel any roughness while turning the wheel, there isn't any real need to do anything. I always recommend that a good quality grease should be kept in the grease gun and used on everything. A guy doesn't go through so much grease that paying a few bucks extra for the better grease makes a difference.

Tandem Axle Trailer Special $699
Includes: 4 T07 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda
Loadstar KR03 Radial tires, mount and balance
Free Delivery

ALUMINUM WHEEL AND TIRE PACKAGES
SINGLE AXLE 14" PACKAGE STARTING AT $369
SINGLE AXLE 15" PACKAGE STARTING AT $439
TANDEM AXLE 14" PACKAGE STARTING AT $649
LED lights, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts
GOLF CART TIRES & WHEELS

PM me or email tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 01-02-2013, 01:16 PM
Skipper

Each season I clean and repack the bearings on my '95 trailer. That little rubber cover on the bearing buddy is great for keeping dust and debris out of the mechanism. They can be purchased separately from the bearing buddy.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:26 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper View Post
Each season I clean and repack the bearings on my '95 trailer. That little rubber cover on the bearing buddy is great for keeping dust and debris out of the mechanism. They can be purchased separately from the bearing buddy.
^^+1 - I do the same. Also I use a good grease like Thats... recommends...a synthetic has better hot performance and better anti-washout characteristics.

I use http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...ic_Grease.aspx

Regarding the water intrusion, there's some that get's in depending on the temp of the hub and the temp of the water. Coming off the road and dropping in the water will cause a quick change in temp which will cause some water to get sucked in....hence the pressure on the bearing buddy mechanism.

I trailer from Chicago to Kenora, Ont. every year 1400 miles round trip so I always inspect and repack.

Don't forget your tires on the trailer maintenance - they need a good inspection as well if over 2 years old... I know a guy who can get you a deal on tires

Last edited by mikeg205; 01-02-2013 at 01:30 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:41 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
^^+1 - I do the same. Also I use a good grease like Thats... recommends...a synthetic has better hot performance and better anti-washout characteristics.

Regarding the water intrusion, there's some that get's in depending on the temp of the hub and the temp of the water. Coming off the road and dropping in the water will cause a quick change in temp which will cause some water to get sucked in....hence the pressure on the bearing buddy mechanism.

I trailer from Chicago to Kenora, Ont. every year 1400 miles round trip so I always inspect and repack.

Don't forget your tires on the trailer maintenance - they need a good inspection as well if over 2 years old... I know a guy who can get you a deal on tires
Remember to look for any cracks in the sidewall (don't forget to look at the inside sidewall) as well as tread separation and bulges in the sidewall (again both outside and inside). Check DOT code for manufacture date. Running any tires over five years old is working on borrowed time.

Free Delivery

GOLF CART TIRES & WHEELS

Old 01-03-2013, 12:44 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 ProStar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
.... Running any tires over five years old is working on borrowed time.
The guy I bought my boat from bragged about how awesome the tires looked and that they were original, from 1991!

I just laughed it off and bought new tires asap when I got it home. Glad it made it across town after the buy!
Old 01-11-2013, 11:50 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumbergh View Post
The guy I bought my boat from bragged about how awesome the tires looked and that they were original, from 1991!

I just laughed it off and bought new tires asap when I got it home. Glad it made it across town after the buy!
Original tires from 1991..................YIKES

Free Delivery

GOLF CART TIRES & WHEELS

Old 01-02-2013, 09:44 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 86 19' skier 351 PCM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post

Kenora,originally called Rat Portage. Can't wait to hear that story.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:03 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by byronic View Post
what story?...
Old 01-13-2013, 07:14 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2008 Maristar 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by byronic View Post
Yup, there is a story. This place used to have 3 "towns/settlements/reserves"...Keewatin, Norman and Rat Portage. There was a flour mill at one time and they didn't like the name of the town as they thought it would hurt their sales of flour. So, the deep thinkers they were, took the first 2 letters of each of those "towns" to come up with Kenora.

There you go...you learn something new every day.

Tags
mastercraft trailer