Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 12-08-2012, 11:53 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X2
Truth or myth? Can i leave the trailer in the water?

I have a ski lake where we can leave the trailer on the water all day if we want, plenty of space for everyone.
As you may know by now i,m a hard core skier with CERO mechanichal skils.

So, here we go:
Leaving the trailer for prolonged amount of time under water (fresh) is not recomended for the wheel baerings.

Truth or myth?

I hope is myth, since i hate beaching the boat, so havingthe trailer in the water makes everything much easier.

Thanks gang.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:32 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 85 Stars&Stripes, safe-t-top, trick realease, boom, flitepipe pylon
Obviously the longer any metal spends it the water the worse it it for it. I assume a lift is out of the question and there is no dock to tie to. If you do leave the trailer in, be prepared for it to corrode and rust more quickly, lights to wear out more quickly, and the bearings to need replacement more often. If you want to beach it without the damage I've had good luck putting a foam pool lounge under the front of the hull to protect it. Another option is to anchor the boat off shore at a depth where you can walk out to it. I think I would try to put the boat on the trailer and pull it out, put it in when you want to use it. Keep in mind that sitting in the water for prolonged periods also takes a toll on the boat. Fiberglass blisters aren't a quick, easy or cheap fix.
This would be my opinion, others may voice different ones.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:46 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2005 X2
Can you leave anything in the lake permanently? If so, how about an old ratty trailer that you can pick up for a couple hundred bucks. As long as the bunks are OK and are a fair match to your hull it might work. The stern of the boat will likely float anyway.

The foam pool lounge mentioned above or a kid's foam skim board would be good, simple options.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:03 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 Matercraft Prostar 190, LTR330,powerslot,PP,heater
I would consider it not do-able for wheel bearings unless you are not towing it anywhere except up the rise to your storage. Another factor I would be worried about is safety whilst your boat is out. It is a real danger if someone runs into it. I personally would not leave it in the water long term and if a storm brews it could suffer a lot of damage with a trailer under it in the water. Just my .02c. Have fun.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:16 AM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks guys.

This is a ski lake, so just for a few hours, but i can see we all agree it,s true. So in and out will be for the trailer.

ANOTHER SLEEPLESS NIGHT!!!!!
Old 12-09-2012, 01:20 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1992 ProStar 205, 1991 Ski Pro
You're asking for mechanical, electrical and rotting problems if you leave the trailer in the water. How much trouble is it to pull the trailer out of the water and parked on the shore while you ski? Not much, I imagine.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:48 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Water, metal, a new chip in the trailer you don't see --- water on the fittings.... water on the light connections, bunks soaking up water... omg I couldn't concentrate on my skiin', boat drivin' - couldn't sleep at night...
Old 12-09-2012, 09:20 PM
TT Enthusiast

:d