Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 12-01-2012, 11:51 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 X-30
Will my truck pull an X45?

I am considering an upgrade later on this month. I currently own a 1997 Prostar 190 and I am looking at a 2005 X45. My question to you fine folks is this:

Will my 2003 Toyota Tundra pull the X45?

I dont usually haul my boat more than 10 miles so long treks are not part of the plan. The truck has a V8 and is a 2WD. The rated towing capacity is 7200 lbs. but am wondering if pulling a boat up a ramp was considered when that was made the rating.

All information iswelcome.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:53 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X-45
My X-45 sits about 7800 pounds with trailer..

My 2007 F150 struggled with it a bit going up even minor hills on the freeway. The new F250 does not even blink.

If you are going short distances you will be fine. Pulling even up the ramp is ok.. Stopping is usually the bigger concern just know you will be over your limit.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:21 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 Mastercraft X-Star
I know a guy that pulls a 2002 Regal 2860 Commodore about 10000 lbs with with trailer using 03 TRD Tundra Crew Cab about 300 miles a few times a year he said it does fine
Old 12-02-2012, 10:23 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1992 ProStar 205, 1991 Ski Pro
T
Quote:
he truck has a V8 and is a 2WD. The rated towing capacity is 7200 lbs. but am wondering if pulling a boat up a ramp was considered when that was made the rating.
They look at everything when they determine tow ratings. The 7200 lb rating is based on the maximum towed load with nothing in the vehicle, so it's clear you'll be over the max. I doubt you'd have trouble over a level ten mile route. I'd be most concerned about pulling the X45 up a boat ramp. Two wheel drive, perhaps a high axle ratio, lack of traction, and slippery ramps could be a problem. You could be "that guy" on YouTube videos.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:59 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Curb weight is about 5300 pounds and your x-45 is 7800 lbs...

It's going to be close....I assume you have the heavy duty towing package.

#1 - Gravity...backing down the ramp you will the 60% of the weight pulling your tow backwards...so I suggest electric brakes on trailer

#2 - Get the best tires money can buy that will give you excellent traction characteristics - ask Thatsmastercraft here - he's the tire guy. Any debris sand gravel water slime will make you that youtube guy like Miss Rita writes. At least upgrade to bigger wheels and tires. And make sure there some nice weight over that back axel.

#3 - It's not the rolling that kills the transmission and rear end - it's the start.

#4 - If you can afford an X-45 upgrade that towing vehicle - at least to a 4-wheel drive...

Was in a 1999 chevy blazer backing down a ramp with prostar 205v. (not my car) some light gravel debris was on ramp. Surge brake on trailer useless when boat started dragging Blazer down ramp...we were almost those guys...usual tow vehicle was in shop. How did we get out? 2 10K Lbs straps connected to tow rings on blazer and to an F150 with a big 8 - and towing package..

Just my opinion..but don't be this guy..below
Attached Images

Old 12-02-2012, 11:30 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2007 Mastercraft X45
I had an 08' Tundra with the smaller V8 (2wd) when I got My X45 about 3 years ago.
The only problem was about half the boat ramps I use, the rear wheels would spin when trying to pull the boat out. Usually would need a couple guys jumping up and down on the bumper for traction. Otherwise it pulled the boat just fine locally and did pretty well on the Houston to Austin trips, and would struggle slightly on steep hills though at highway speeds.
I went out and bought an F250 which may have been a little overkill to pull the boat, all you need is a 4 wheel drive gas truck. 4X4 is the key, even the F250 spins the rear wheels at the same docks if not in 4wd.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey.145 View Post
I had an 08' Tundra with the smaller V8 (2wd) when I got My X45 about 3 years ago.
The only problem was about half the boat ramps I use, the rear wheels would spin when trying to pull the boat out. Usually would need a couple guys jumping up and down on the bumper for traction. Otherwise it pulled the boat just fine locally and did pretty well on the Houston to Austin trips, and would struggle slightly on steep hills though at highway speeds.
I went out and bought an F250 which may have been a little overkill to pull the boat, all you need is a 4 wheel drive gas truck. 4X4 is the key, even the F250 spins the rear wheels at the same docks if not in 4wd.

Truck yeah!
Old 12-02-2012, 12:24 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
The truck should work fine for 10 miles.

Be careful stopping and backing down the ramp.

Getting out of the lake should be easy. Have a boat driver and a truck driver. When the truck starts pulling have the boat push the truck for a running start. Once the boat prop is near coming out of the water just turn the key off on the boat. The truck should be able to make it fine up the ramp in 2x4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 12-02-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post

Getting out of the lake should be easy. Have a boat driver and a truck driver. When the truck starts pulling have the boat push the truck for a running start. Once the boat prop is near coming out of the water just turn the key off on the boat. The truck be able to make it fine up the ramp in 2x4.
It's the "should" that always get's me...
Old 12-02-2012, 09:33 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post

Getting out of the lake should be easy. Have a boat driver and a truck driver. When the truck starts pulling have the boat push the truck for a running start. Once the boat prop is near coming out of the water just turn the key off on the boat. The truck should be able to make it fine up the ramp in 2x4.
Reminds me of being the boat guy while my cousin was pulling his Supra out with his Ranger. Not that much fun.

SPECIAL PRICE
ST205/75R15 KENDA LOADSTAR ON 15X5 WHITE SPOKE WHEEL, BALANCED & DELIVERED - $125 EACH

Tandem Axle Packages Starting at $569 - 4 Aluminum wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.
Single Axle Package Starting at $319 - 2 Aluminum wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***

Tags
tundra, x45