Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 11-30-2012, 12:57 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 85 Stars&Stripes, safe-t-top, trick realease, boom, flitepipe pylon
Who has used a winch?

Anyone here ever do any riding on a winch? Guy I've been out with in Madison lately has developed a pretty cool winch system. I haven't had a chance to get a run with it yet, but I find the idea intriguing. I like the idea of making quick runs in areas not accessible to boats, or where boats are banned. I suspect that if a cop caught me trying to ride on a pond in a public park it could turn into a hassel. For that reason the electric seems like it would be superior to gas. Quiet and high amounts of instant torque seem like a great combo. I'm interested, but would like to hear of other people's experiences.
This is the link to the system I'm hoping to try out
http://lpiwake.com/
Old 11-30-2012, 05:54 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2004 Prostar 190
Google grinch winch

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843
Old 11-30-2012, 06:38 AM
MC Devotee

Just did. I still think the gas engine could draw unwanted attention when trying to screw around on public land. Have you used one?
Old 11-30-2012, 07:27 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 01 X-Star
I have one, and have used it in a few public places. Haven't had any problems with authorities yet, but we get in, get a few tricks and get out.

The main reason we have it is because we have a private pond with a few rails in it, and the winch is perfect for that.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:43 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
Batteries suck.

If you were going to use it someplace where AC power was available and no batteries required, that would be cool
Old 12-06-2012, 10:50 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinGA View Post
Batteries suck.

If you were going to use it someplace where AC power was available and no batteries required, that would be cool
To me the idea would be to use it in those places that are hard to reach (no ac power) or where you're not supposed to be (at least not intended to be). If I can get there with a car or truck, I can have a boat there, or I can reach it with an extension cord, it doesn't seem that special to be riding there, and I'll go behind my boat for the longer ride. To my way of thinking the coolest aspect of a winch is that I can take something like this to a place where noone else has ever done something like this, and get in, get a quick couple runs, and get out, hopefully without anyone noticing what I'm up to. The idea of doing what noone has done is why I think it would be cool.
I went to Grand Valley State University near Grand Rapids, MI. I always loved to grab my skis and take the very short drops through the trees down the ravines, just because I could do it while everyone else is still studying in the dorms. It always felt like I was doing something the rest of the world was missing out on.
I used to feel that way about waterskiing in December in Wisconsin, but last Sunday Redline Watersports brought out a dozen or more people behind 2 new boats. Another customer of theirs was out in his X-Star (nice to see you Scott), and there was an early 90's ps190 out slalom skiing as well. I don't do this to be one of 100. I do this because everyone else has packed up and gone home leaving me a lake all to myself with not a wave on it that I didn't create. A city of 250,000 and I'm putting one over on all of them, you know? It makes getting out at this time of year much more "normal". I think of the winch as a possible way to do something all my own, which wont work if I need an extension cord, or if I can drive right up to it in my truck, and equally likely if I can fire up a gasoline powered engine and not offend anyone. I want to be able to take something like this to Crystal Lake near Rhinelander, or to Devil's Lake NW of Madison and be the only one who has ever ridden on these lakes, to go to DC and sneek into the pond where Forest Gump ran to Jenny through the water, and try to land an ollie 180, just because noone else will. Though I'm pretty sure that last one would get me arrested, and probably should. There are some lines you just don't cross.
For instance:
http://bostinno.com/2012/11/21/linds...262850_1_0__ss
Old 01-15-2013, 08:49 AM
MC Addict

Boat: nothing worth mentioning...
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcityskier View Post
to go to DC and sneek into the pond where Forest Gump ran to Jenny through the water, and try to land an ollie 180, just because noone else will. Though I'm pretty sure that last one would get me arrested, and probably should. There are some lines you just don't cross.
Go ahead. Try it. I want to see the video.

Former boats:
2003 Prostar 197 35th Anniversary
1990 Prostar 190
Old 04-02-2013, 01:54 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherd View Post
Go ahead. Try it. I want to see the video.
Just finally saw this. Yeah, I don't want my *** kicked that bad. This hit the news recently. It's exactly the type of thing I pictured. Can't wait to see the video.

http://www.wbko.com/home/headlines/R...orySection=map
Old 04-02-2013, 02:20 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Malibu Response LX w/ LS1
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcityskier View Post
This hit the news recently. It's exactly the type of thing I pictured. Can't wait to see the video.

http://www.wbko.com/home/headlines/R...orySection=map
Similar to the Depth Charge event from a while back, but now with a winch instead of PWCs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FQONJbAGng
Old 11-30-2012, 09:40 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1980 S&S Power Slot 07 X2 MCX
I have one. Used a couple times and now it just sits. Not that fun.
1980 S&S "Power Slot"