Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 11-19-2012, 12:24 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
Power Boat questions on a MC forum

Ok I'm considering buying a Fountain. I like the deep v hull and have always liked the styling. Some key items. I have an '09 F150 KR 4x4 so towing may be an issue. After relocating the boat my tow would generally be 5 miles to any of the local 2 lakes.

I ski in a ski club and rarely use my boat at the club. Most of the time I'm on public water with my boat and I want something a little more comfortable and faster. (No Hulligan jokes please)

Do I wait a little longer and just buy the fountain or sell my boat and wait less and have fun sooner.

I would be interested in the 27' with single engine blown, 29' with a big single blown or twins non blown where later I can SC them later, '32 or '35 with twin 502 mag non blown so I can add SC's later.

Towing is a concern. On the OSO forum 29 and 32 are pulled w a 1/2 truck. Ive seen 35's pulled with escalades so I know it will tow. Stopping is a huge concern. I would be doing the electric over hydraulic braking system and the truck already has the brake controller.

Enjoyable is another concern. I'm kind of scared with it being like a jet ski. Fun for a few hours and stupid after that.

I'm not worried on fixing it. I can fix anything.

I just need some guidance.

Thanks guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 11-19-2012, 12:34 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
You canít do any watersports behind it. You cant sleep on it comfortably. You cant do anything other than haul *** across the lake or anchor with a bunch of other losers at the tie up. Welcome to the loserville redneck yacht club.

Just like I own several different guns for hunting purposes, Iíd want to own different boats for different purposes... If you want to waste your money on buying a boat to impress the girls and the neighbors, thatís your choice, but poersonally, I see fountains and similar boats as a sign of douchebaggery... The bigger the gun boat, the bigger the douchebag Ė just like when I see a Porsche.

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 11-19-2012, 12:50 PM
MC Maniac

One could say that my stereo being so extreme is douchbaggery. Especially when a new MC shows up with 4-6 tower speakers and they can't even hear their tunes while swimming behind their boat.

I prefer opinions from folks who have owned a power boat or own both a wake/ski and a power boat

Quote:
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 11-19-2012, 12:53 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
This deserves to be here. Is this your future Kyle?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77E8H...e_gdata_player

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:02 PM
MC Maniac

If that is where the guy spins out a '38 lightning then I have seen it already. First off that is not how you drive a fountain it any sport boat. Hauling ars is one thing but it needs to be trimmed correctly and the tabs set correctly.

I've built several engines for power boats. The last one was a 572 blown 12# boost right at 980 HP and I drove it 103 GPS confirmed after we locked up 2 trannys and and tested several props.

Single engine in 27' boat

Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-19-2012, 01:04 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
If that is where the guy spins out a '38 lightning then I have seen it already. First off that is not how you drive a fountain it any sport boat. Hauling ars is one thing but it needs to be trimmed correctly and the tabs set correctly.

I've built several engines for power boats. The last one was a 572 blown 12# boost right at 980 HP and I drove it 103 GPS confirmed after we locked up 2 trannys and and tested several props.

Single engine in 27' boat
I'm just giving you chit. If a powerboat was in my future, it'd probably be a Fountain or Eliminator.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:28 PM
MC Addict

Boat: SN196
Send a message via AIM to rodltg2
Sodar should be along shortly !
Old 11-19-2012, 01:34 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
First off, to anyone that says the fast stuff is lame... just walk away and go play elsewhere.

Second, towing with an F-150 is not a real problem. My buddy tows his 29' Scarab with a '12 F-150 with no problem. Like you said, Hydro over electric is essential and SOOO nice. If I had the money and desire to install a system like that on the MC, I would.

Third, Why a fountain? You like the beak? Where you planning on running? Any salt bath or just bigger lakes? If you run the big blue, twins is always comforting, but if not, a single and a tow membership is the way to go. Single= lighter, 1/2 the maintenance and in most cases faster (depending on power).
Old 11-19-2012, 04:34 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodar View Post
First off, to anyone that says the fast stuff is lame... just walk away and go play elsewhere.

Second, towing with an F-150 is not a real problem. My buddy tows his 29' Scarab with a '12 F-150 with no problem. Like you said, Hydro over electric is essential and SOOO nice. If I had the money and desire to install a system like that on the MC, I would.

Third, Why a fountain? You like the beak? Where you planning on running? Any salt bath or just bigger lakes? If you run the big blue, twins is always comforting, but if not, a single and a tow membership is the way to go. Single= lighter, 1/2 the maintenance and in most cases faster (depending on power).
I'm in love with the Fountain just due to style and the beak. Everyone knows the beak and knows it is a fountain.

I know that there are faster hulls out there such as a Cat hull but I also like the bed idea and the couches, fridge, sink combo.

The boat that I went 100+ was a firehawk

Single engine Ran 572ci bbc dart block, Merlin heads and a weiand SC with dominator twin carbs.
Borg Warner tranny
Arneson surface drive out drive
Cleaver style prop

I just don't like the the wasted bow space in the Cat boats.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-19-2012, 05:18 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '07 X-STAR
Get a fountain. A buddy of mine has a 32' and I wouldn't go any smaller. Big enough to handle the water but still requires a good driver at WOT. The perfect boat IMO is a 35' with staggered 525s. 100+ mph all day with no problems. I'm not a fan of the single engine but I haven't been in one either.