Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 09-02-2012, 09:44 AM
TT Regular

Boat: '92 190 Prostar and the new project '05 X Star (Indmar 350 MCX)
Alternative ballast pumps?

I'm working on a bit of a restoration project on an '05 X Star - it looks like the ballast pumps haven't been looked after and need rebuilding (the internal magnets have snapped on all the pumps). Are there alternatives you can buy to the Jabsco ones?

In the interim is there any other way of draining the ballast tanks without the pumps working? (hoping to dump the extra 1,000 lbs of weight)!

Cheers... Adrian

Last edited by lazyade; 09-02-2012 at 10:02 AM. Reason: add Q about emptying tankl
Old 09-02-2012, 09:51 AM
TT Regular

Also meant to ask, if I've pulled the electric motor apart, how do I get the damn bushes re-attached to the motor!
Old 09-04-2012, 06:51 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyade View Post
Also meant to ask, if I've pulled the electric motor apart, how do I get the damn bushes re-attached to the motor!
Here's a thread that shows my trick for reassembling them:
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=42810
Old 02-01-2013, 12:59 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcd View Post
Here's a thread that shows my trick for reassembling them:
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=42810
I should have done this update a number of months ago, but the post above worked brilliantly. We were able to reconstruct one pump (by gluing in the magnets and using the cotton trick to hold the bushes back). We put the repaired pump back in the boat and used it to drain the full tanks (damn that water smelt bad)! Just need to repair the other ones now. We did try the manufacturer for spares but it seems as though you can't buy spares for the motor, just the new impellers.

I think I'm right in saying you guys recommend the green impellers right? If so who manufacturers them, I don't think it's Jabsco (they seem to just list the two black ones).
Old 02-01-2013, 01:39 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyade View Post
...I think I'm right in saying you guys recommend the green impellers right? If so who manufacturers them, I don't think it's Jabsco (they seem to just list the two black ones).
Yes, Green:
http://www.wakemakers.com/jabsco-bal...-impeller.html
Old 04-23-2013, 04:20 PM
TT Regular

You could try one of these if you are just looking to empty the ballast tanks while working on the boat.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...5746&SHOPZILLA

David Sword
Old 09-04-2012, 02:14 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft XStar, 08, LY6; MasterCraft ProStar 190, 91, Ford Mustang;
Drainmastermarine.com?
Or you could go the way CC is/was going: one kind of bilge pump in the tank to empty, one somewhere outside to fill (but then you have to take into consideration that they are not selfpriming). However you would get rid of the impellers and would never have to care about having them run dry. On top you would get much faster fill/empty times.

XStar08
Old 09-04-2012, 02:24 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: other
You can gravity drain the tanks if there is no obstruction. You could also dump them into the hull if you really have to. In addition to gravity draining, if your hose is hooked to the bottom of the hull and the line is open, the negative pressure from driving will forcefully suck the water out.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:27 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfw432 View Post
You can gravity drain the tanks if there is no obstruction. You could also dump them into the hull if you really have to. In addition to gravity draining, if your hose is hooked to the bottom of the hull and the line is open, the negative pressure from driving will forcefully suck the water out.
Thanks, however there's a light problem the boat is a bit of a project and not running right now (hence the desire to get the ballast water out) - see my other post under engines...

https://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk...ad.php?t=50535

Having stripped down the Jabsco pumps they look like they've been under water too and are pretty corroded. We have however come up with an idea, attach a drill to the opposite end to the pump, and get the drill to do the turning - hopefully this will allow us to empty the ballast.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:07 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X2
Johnson makes some ignition protected pumps as well. You can get some really cheap non ignition protected ones from harbor freight for $30 or $40.