Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Upholstery

Old 08-16-2012, 01:00 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Seat hinges for cooler seat?

I know MC has fancy hinges for the seat bottom where the cooler goes, but they're not standard on all the boats and they're a non-typical Z shaped looking thing.
I've been going to add them for a while but haven't gotten around to getting the parts.

While using my buddy's 'BU last week, his side seats are hinged at the front with a piano hinge so that they flip up from the back.

Thinking this is a good idea for the side seats, especially the one with the cooler under it on my X2 and it's cheap. Can get a length of stainless piano hinge for like $30.
Has anyone done this?
If so, does the front edge of the seat sit up noticably higher with the hinge sandwiched in between the seat base and tub?

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 08-17-2012, 01:20 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 Mastercraft X2 - 350MCX
thrall......some pictures of the "lift" up seats and cooler - hbomb
Attached Images

Old 08-20-2012, 11:20 AM
MC Maniac

Wow, you get a new boat?

Thought you had an old(er) X2.
I've seen the MC setups and the hinges and hardware are not cheap. That's why I was thinking piano hinge.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 08-20-2012, 02:51 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 mastercraft X 2 350 mxc
Love it , I have an X2 also and everytime we go in the cooler we wish they had put it behind the drivers seat........... someone has to get up everytime we use it . Plus you have to put the seat some where when your in it
Old 08-21-2012, 08:56 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2010 Mastercraft X2
Mastercraft X2

I agree. I have an X2 and it's not the best set up. We were talking this last weekend while in the boat and said every boat should have an easy set up to get to the cooler and a built in trash can. It blows my mind there's no built in trash can on every boat. It's either in the way or under a seat.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:56 PM
MC Maniac

Built in garbage can is a great idea too. ALways have one flyin around inside the boat until there's enough empties in it to hold it down.
Buddy's Malibu, same one with the piano hinges on the seats, has enough room under the helm that a plastic trash can fits under there nicely (with a big rock in the bottom to keep it from tipping over).
Haven't found any slick ways for the trash can, other than maybe making another cupholder without a bottom in the starboard gunnel area routing down to a trash box under the seat behind the driver. Running out of room there, because I already added pull out heater vents on each side, kinda like a 4th cup holder.
Another winter project.

Old 08-21-2012, 02:15 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2 towed by a 2012 Touareg TDI
thrall, can you get a picture of your friends malibu. i also have a x2 and wish i could add hinge.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:22 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 MasterCraft X2
This is on my list of off season projects. I have been thinking of removing the cooler lid and incorporating it on the bottom of the seat so when you lift the seat, the cooler is open. We dont take the cooler out of the boat except to empty the water. I could put a drain hose to the bilge in also so I dont need to lift the cooler out to drain it. Little extra ballast never hurt..........
2006 F150 SCrew Puller
http://www.crowniehq.net
http://banners.wunderground.com/weat.../OR/Albany.gif
Old 04-25-2013, 09:26 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2009 X-15, MCX
Thrall,

Did you ever add a hinge to cooler seat? It seems like a good idea.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:45 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2009 214V
I added a hinge to my 214V a few weeks ago because I got sick of that seat flying around when trailering. I measured my other hinges and purchased an aluminum one for a bayliner (junkliner) and it works great. I'm probably going to add the lift catch soon and it's $50 from MC and I haven't seen anything that can be modified. Here is the part I ordered http://greatlakesskipper.com/en_us/b...t-hinge-single, I cut it in half making 2 hinges, my seat bottom was actually already drilled and had the tee-nuts installed but you can get the stainless bolts and tee-nuts if you need them at lowes. (I purchased and then found out my seat was pre-drilled) I pulled a hinge off the long seat to drill my holes to match the seat and I wanted them to look the same. Cheap and fixed the problem. I can get some pics this weekend of it installed in anyone wants pics...