Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-04-2012, 09:09 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2010 X-Star
Send a message via MSN to Holman J.B.F
X-star wakeplate Q

Q 1 why did MC never offer the option to add a wakeplate to the X star model?
Q2 would i gain some better holeshot on a slammed X-Star (+/- 3500 lbs) using a wakeplate?
Q3 for the believers,..what size of wakeplate to start with?

i,m willing to try this out and be a guinea pig and report the outcome to TT
Old 08-05-2012, 01:24 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, 215V, 2006, 5.7ls
I believe that mastercraft never perfected the wake plate. In my little experience with the plates, Malibu's is the only one that really works for any gain. The Malibu wedge actually pulls the rear of the boat down in the water and creates a larger "lip" on the wake. I think Mastercraft decided that it would not help the wake of the X star. If you notice, no other boat in the line up has a similar hull to the X star, it is unique with no brother or sister in the lineup.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:16 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 07 xstar
the 2013 XStar has a wakeplate/jackplate
Old 08-05-2012, 10:22 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 1996 PS 190 LT-1/Powerslot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holman J.B.F View Post
Q 1 why did MC never offer the option to add a wakeplate to the X star model?

Did'nt have toQ2 would i gain some better holeshot on a slammed X-Star (+/- 3500 lbs) using a wakeplate?

Change your propQ3 for the believers,..what size of wakeplate to start with?

DONT DO IT!
i,m willing to try this out and be a guinea pig and report the outcome to TT

See the additions above

www.BAYAREAWATERSPORTS.com
(813) 996-BAWS (2297)
Old 08-05-2012, 10:26 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: ER xstar
I'm going to disagree with Jim... I would love more hole shot on my star, although I have heard that the star rides too heavy on the delta pad to add a trim tab.

Talk to anyone who rides a Malibu with a lot of weight. At least from the good riders I know, nobody uses the wedge with a lot of weight
Old 08-05-2012, 11:53 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, 215V, 2006, 5.7ls
Quote:
Originally Posted by willyt View Post
I'm going to disagree with Jim... I would love more hole shot on my star, although I have heard that the star rides too heavy on the delta pad to add a trim tab.

Talk to anyone who rides a Malibu with a lot of weight. At least from the good riders I know, nobody uses the wedge with a lot of weight
I will second this. I have a buddy with 09 malibu. We made him put the wedge down for the first time this summer this past week. We have around 2,000lbs of ballast and that is all that is needed in that boat. The wedge did change the wake, but nothing that was even needed. It definitely creates more drag and pulling the back of the boat down (as if more ballast in the rear), but I prefer the wake without the wedge down.

In my opinion only, the Malibu wedge is on the only style that theoretically makes sense to work.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:13 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2010 X-Star
Send a message via MSN to Holman J.B.F
Quote:
Originally Posted by onebadrubi View Post
I will second this. I have a buddy with 09 malibu. We made him put the wedge down for the first time this summer this past week. We have around 2,000lbs of ballast and that is all that is needed in that boat. The wedge did change the wake, but nothing that was even needed. It definitely creates more drag and pulling the back of the boat down (as if more ballast in the rear), but I prefer the wake without the wedge down.

In my opinion only, the Malibu wedge is on the only style that theoretically makes sense to work.
been there and done that,...100% true!!

@ willyt
Heavy on the delta pad,..that,s what i was thinking about.
So what size of trimtab to start with?
ideally start small and work out bigger but i can not buy 5 plates or so.
Doesn,t the new star has the same delta pad?...and a Plate?

I ,m a fiberglass/gelcoat man so no worry,s there,..if it schreds of i gues it will leave a nice row of screw holes.

Jim
i,ve changed my prop 3 times by now,....i,m done buying props...and most of all i,m done buying new boats..(7)..Ps the new star is out of reach anyway.
I appreciate your comment on Q3 but it would be nice to know why i shouldn,t do this.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:31 AM
MC Devotee

I think the main concern would be to make sure it retracts far enough to not interfere with the wake when it's all the way up... I'm thinking it would have to retract at least 30 degrees from level with the delta pad not to interfere.
Not sure why we were talking about the wedge in the first place, wedge and trim tabs serve two opposite purposes.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:33 AM
MC Devotee

Oh, another problem, if you do get out of the hole with a ton of weight your going to be rolling into some pretty high RPMs at wakeboard speed. My dream is a ilmore 6.2 in my star
Old 08-07-2012, 11:51 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X Star
JB
I set out to do this a last year and bailed on the project before I drilled one hole. I bought everything needed too. Thinking it will help the surf wake....
Lenco actuators, 9x12 Edge tabs with the trick lights telling you where the tab is, and sold it for a small loss....You can find them for about 600.00
Not that drilling holes is the problem, but most loaded stars ride low enough in the front end right ?
So the making it ride lower in the front would of helped me turn my star into a submerine with the weight I run, as most do. Riding lower is exactly what your tab will do when engauged.
Even with retracted it 30 degrees, or whatever it will still show up in your wake. You are
extending the back of your boat in 2 spots only...or 1 if you choose attitude plate. Either way, I asure you, you will see an effect to your wakes shape and form just I saw in previous boats I have added plates or tabs too. In those boats it helped. They wern't mastercrafts tho either, or a hull design that had the most R & D invested prior to the 2013 star. In the star (NO WAY) no need to lower the nose.....Not even getting out of the hole loaded, get the right prop for that. Just remember, what goes up ? comes down ? so shutting down a tab engauged loaded boat with some of your friends lifes in your hands, on a low bow riding boat already, may get you into something you cant get out of. I'm sure your experianced like alot of us on this site.
I wanted it real bad just like you, change, to make it better, wakeboarding, or surf wake.
I came to the conclusion, the star is one of the best wakebaording wakes to ride just the way it is, and it doesn't surf like a 25,35,45,55 or other brand boats. But other boats don't have the wakeboarding wake ? No boats perfect, but even to use as a surf tab to lean the boat over to surf, it will effect the wake when wakebaording.
Anyone came accomplish this, but why again ? To get a better holeshot ? get a bigger engine,prop, that is a sure bet.
I did not want to compermise my wake at any cost. I walked away.

Good Luck in your desicion....