Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Upholstery

Old 07-15-2012, 11:09 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X1
1993 PS 190 New Interior - by Viper

I thought I'd give a shout out for Jim at Viper Customs. I shipped the boat down to get a new intrerior with creative direction summarized as:

Objective: replace all carpet and vinyl with a more modern design
Design: Use the 2001-04 PS 190 design as a style guide
Colors: lighter grey than current, trim in medium grey with silver and black carbon fiber on the engine cover and accents. No TEAL.

First time I wrote a creative brief for something I spent MY money on. I'm happy with the work and the price. Carl did the vinyl worked and at MC for eons before going to Viper.

The were a few misses in some details I asked for driven by communication gaps from employee turnover, and Jim is running a hoppin' business down there. But, I'm pleased they were able to turn the project around in two weeks in the middle of summer.

For the day I go to sell, I'm curious to see what you all think of the final work.

Before Pics, yes that's black duct tape on the engine cover.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ryan; 09-21-2012 at 12:31 AM.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:29 PM
MC Maniac

After - the engine cover design worked out differently than a '01. It's a unique morph of a '01 and a '98. Not exactly what I had in mind, but I think it worls well to blend the eras and definitely meets my objective to modernize the design.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ryan; 07-15-2012 at 11:41 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:54 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: mastercraft 190 tri star
I have a 91 Tri-Star and would love to have this done to mine. what was the total cost?
Old 07-15-2012, 11:30 PM
MC Maniac

Attached Images

Old 07-16-2012, 04:00 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1995 MasterCraft Pro Star 190 LT-1/Powerslot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
This looks awesome! Can you explain what you did there with the motorbox vent/cupholders? I really like the look of it and the vent itself doesn't age the best.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:39 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattb View Post
This looks awesome! Can you explain what you did there with the motorbox vent/cupholders? I really like the look of it and the vent itself doesn't age the best.
I asked what was possible for restoring the old device. I knew a thin vinyl could be steamed, adhered and wrapped over the two pieces and drop in SS cupholders but had concern for endurance of adhesive to keep a vinyl overlay in the contoured bevel around the edge.

Carl agreed it wouldn't last and offered to build a trim piece wrapped in carbon fiber vinyl. We discussed merits of a vent and hardware options available. I chose to run without it since no newer boats have vents and sealing it would make the back seat db a little better for conversations between backseat riders and driver. With a 600 cfm carb, I wondered if there would still be enough air for the engine to breathe and did have the old device sent back just in case or could easily add a new aluminum vent. There's no shortage of air flow from the rear vents, skied it right after delivery and it ran just like it did before.

Here's a closeup.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ryan; 09-21-2012 at 12:36 AM.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:32 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1996 Maristar 200 VRS
Quote:
I asked what was possible for restoring the old device. I knew a thin vinyl could be steamed, adhered and wrapped over the two pieces and drop in SS cupholders but had concern for endurance of adhesive to keep a vinyl overlay in the contoured bevel around the edge.

Carl agreed it wouldn't last and offered to build a trim piece wrapped in carbon fiber vinyl. We discussed merits of a vent and hardware options available. I chose to run without it since no newer boats have vents and sealing it would make the back seat db a little better for conversations between backseat riders and driver. With a 600 cfm carb, I wondered if there would still be enough air for the engine to breathe and did have the old device sent back just in case or could easily add a new aluminum vent. There's no shortage of air flow from the rear vents, skied it right after delivery and it ran just like it did before.

Here's a closeup.
Love the look of the wrap. I have been looking for an idea to dress up the cupholder recesses on our boat. The wife can do the upholstery work, she did all of it on our last boat, just need to build the form. Did you use a plastic materials to avoid warpage? How did you secure it to the base?
Old 10-31-2013, 11:03 AM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96Maristar View Post
Love the look of the wrap. I have been looking for an idea to dress up the cupholder recesses on our boat. The wife can do the upholstery work, she did all of it on our last boat, just need to build the form. Did you use a plastic materials to avoid warpage? How did you secure it to the base?
It was screwed from the bottom or bolted (I forget which) and was a plastic board of some sort.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:46 PM
MC Maniac

I ordered this Grant steering wheel, but it arrived after we left for a ski/camping trip. I'll get a pic of the dash once I get it installed. It requires converting from a 5 bolt to 6 bolt.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ryan; 07-16-2012 at 04:00 PM.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:20 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1991 MasterCraft Prostar 190 PowerSlot
Send a message via AIM to DooSPX
Quote:
I ordered this Grant steering wheel, but it arrived after we left for a ski/camping trip. I'll get a pic of the dash once I get it installed. It requires converting from a 5 bolt to 6 bolt.
Ryan, glad to see you when with that wheel!!!! I know I dragged my feet getting it and getting the pictures up for you. sorry about that. I cannot wait to see what it looks like! And the interior looks great!

Trying to keep slalom alive

Need a new prop to fit your needs? Call OJ PROPS 800-359-9730

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper View Post
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are stupid, than to open it and prove it"?

Last edited by DooSPX; 07-16-2012 at 06:22 PM.