Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 07-06-2012, 10:47 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 Maristar 225 LT1
1994 Maristar 225 LT1 Direct Drive

Hi,
First post after reading a lot here - I just purchased my first Mastercraft, a 1994 Maristar 225, Direct Drive with EFI LT1, about 700 hours and decent interior (recovered by previous/second owner), ended up at $10k. Something fun to get the family out on water on local lakes (6/8 year old olds), and big enough to take another family out with us. I'll post more pics as I start cleaning it up / going through it.

A few questions:

- The front edge of the hull is scraped a little from the first owner beaching it (scraped through gel to dark layer). Is this a nice-to-fix, or must fix immediately? (Boat is stored out of water)

- Would like a tower for recreational wake boarding. Most folks here seem to like Monster or New Dimension towers. Anything else reliable/reasonable cost to consider, as well anything specific to 94 Mastercraft or Maristar to consider on adding a tower?

- Tandem trailer has dual drum brakes, seems in decent shape, but while towing 50 miles home at two points on hill climb there was something like a 'bang'. I'm not sure if this was me hitting drainage grate and low siding trailer, if sticky surge brake, or ??. Any thoughts on what to check for?

- Newbie question - should there be a 'safety' line other than the winch line holding the boat in front?

Looking forward to getting the family out one I check for safety stuff and generally shake it down. Thanks!
Attached Images

Old 07-06-2012, 02:39 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft maristar 225 1993 Lt-1
Congrats, I have the same boat..
here's my$.02

1). depending on how deep the damage is (just gel coat or through fiberglass) you might just buy a gel coat re-pair kit for now.

2). I have an old titan series ii tower on mine(wishbone style). It works for me, nothing fancy, but I am sure you will get plenty of opinions as to what works best.

3). Sounds like drum shoes might need adjustment possibly.. http://youtu.be/FhxRPikDkNQ

4). Winch strap on front tie down is all that is needed, keep in mind your boat really is going to be shifting a whole lot on a trailer, the 225 weighs over 3000lbs without fuel..

See pic below for my 225 with titan tower. hope some of this helps..
Attached Images

Old 07-06-2012, 06:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1995 maristar 200 vrs
Quote:
Originally Posted by maristardd View Post
Hi,
First post after reading a lot here - I just purchased my first Mastercraft, a 1994 Maristar 225, Direct Drive with EFI LT1, about 700 hours and decent interior (recovered by previous/second owner), ended up at $10k. Something fun to get the family out on water on local lakes (6/8 year old olds), and big enough to take another family out with us. I'll post more pics as I start cleaning it up / going through it.

A few questions:

- The front edge of the hull is scraped a little from the first owner beaching it (scraped through gel to dark layer). Is this a nice-to-fix, or must fix immediately? (Boat is stored out of water)

- Would like a tower for recreational wake boarding. Most folks here seem to like Monster or New Dimension towers. Anything else reliable/reasonable cost to consider, as well anything specific to 94 Mastercraft or Maristar to consider on adding a tower?

- Tandem trailer has dual drum brakes, seems in decent shape, but while towing 50 miles home at two points on hill climb there was something like a 'bang'. I'm not sure if this was me hitting drainage grate and low siding trailer, if sticky surge brake, or ??. Any thoughts on what to check for?

- Newbie question - should there be a 'safety' line other than the winch line holding the boat in front?

Looking forward to getting the family out one I check for safety stuff and generally shake it down. Thanks!
I have the same boat in 20 ft version. Installed a monster tower. It is easy to install and not expensive.
Attached Images

Old 07-06-2012, 06:46 PM
TT Enthusiast

lt14me,
Thanks on the info and picture, very helpful! It's nice to see the wishbone style on the exact boat. I also got a tip to check out Lightning Accessories Towers that are done nearby in Sacramento.

Sounds like on the trailer I just need to get it professionally checked out / gone through. I might tackle the gelcoat fix myself, we'll see how handy I feel after pouring through what others have done. Thanks again!

Last edited by maristardd; 07-07-2012 at 01:11 AM.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Weclome to the forum btw. We love our boat. You got a great deal and it will serve you very well. Congrats.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks gr82bgreen, very nice clean and open look! I'm glad to hear install was straightforward -- did you end up needing to reinforce the fiberglass at all (or wish you did after the fact?)
Old 07-06-2012, 07:09 PM
TT Enthusiast

[quote=maristardd;855908]Thanks gr82bgreen, very nice clean and open look! I'm glad to hear install was straightforward -- did you end up needing to reinforce the fiberglass at all (or wish you did after the fact?)

NO need to reinforce. It comes with large rubber backed backing plates. no gelcoat cracks so far. It was on sale last summer for $600.00.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:41 PM
TT Enthusiast

With regard to a cover -- does anyone know if my 94 Maristar direct drive sizes the same as a '98+ 225 or 230 Maristar? I know the hull is different, but in terms of sizing for an exact fit cover over deck and windshield? Covercraft has pattern for '98+, but not earlier. Thx!
Old 07-07-2012, 01:50 PM
TT Enthusiast

removed

Last edited by maristardd; 05-19-2013 at 02:11 AM. Reason: why did I write this :-)
Old 07-15-2012, 12:22 PM
TT Enthusiast

Here's the keel beaching damage I need to fix - I assume this just 'cosmetic' and just use West Marine Finish Gelcoat (the version with wax in it that will set smooth, ready to wet sand/finish)?

Also a picture of the Maristar with it's bimini up.
Attached Images

Tags
1994, 225, maristar