Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-25-2012, 09:34 PM
Hogwild's Avatar
Hogwild Hogwild is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Boat: n/a
Location: South
Posts: 399
Looking for a new towing vehicle

Hey, guys. I'm thinking of maybe purchasing a new towing vehicle for my Maristar 230. Right now I have a 2004 4runner with 235 hp V8 and 320 lb-ft of torque at 3400 rpm. It's getting close to 90K miles and never had an issue, but it's going to need a new set of tires soon and the 90K mile service is going to run about $1K. Thus, I'm thinking of trading it in and possibly getting something that offers better towing capability.

I know there is a "show your rig" thread but I was really hoping to get honest, open opinions on all of you who drive and tow with possible replacement vehicles (Ford F150, Toyota Tundra, Chevy Tahoe or Silverado)? Also, how well has your vehicle held up for you or what have you had to do to it over the life of the vehicle? I have read review sites, but wanted to hear from real owners with 1st hand experience.

I feel blessed that the 4runner has never given me any issues except for routine maintenance and I hate to see her go but I'm just not sure it's the right vehicle to keep towing my boat with.

Thanks and I'll hang up and listen.

Last edited by Hogwild; 06-25-2012 at 09:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-25-2012, 09:54 PM
Jerseydave's Avatar
Jerseydave Jerseydave is offline
TT Hero
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
Location: Jersey
Posts: 5,431
For pickups, it's hard to beat the new F-150 with the Eco-boost engine. I don't own one myself, but 2 of my friends have them (one guy is a Ford master tech) and they love the way they drive and tow. Torque that rivals the diesels, 18-19 mpg back and forth to work and even better highway mpg.

Late 2013 (2014 models) GM is changing the pickups and suburbans, plus word is the new engine will have close to 400 hp. I'm waiting.

Also, late 2013 (2014 model) the Ford Expedition is scheduled for a facelift, with the possibility of the Eco-boost engine available in it too. I'm waiting.

If you're shopping used, it's hard to beat the '07-current Tahoe/Suburban/ 1/2 ton GM trucks. I have an '07 Suburban 5.3 liter and it's a good driver. Gets 17-18 mpg highway solo, 13.5 mpg towing my prostar on the highway, but only 10 mpg towing the X-star. Not a ton of power but it gets the job done....for now
__________________
I was njskier on here.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-25-2012, 11:43 PM
onebadrubi onebadrubi is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Boat: Mastercraft, 215V, 2006, 5.7ls
Location: south
Posts: 34
Vehicles I have used to tow my maristar 215.

07 dodge mega cab 5.9 cummins
08 silverado z71 5.3l 4 spd transmission
2010 dodge hemi half ton (new body style)
2011 GMC sierra 4x4 6.2l 6 spd.

Diesel obviously had the best capability towing. The worse was hte silverado with the 5.3 and 4 spd. The best truck I have towed with yet was the dodge half ton, of the gas engines. It was a great truck fit and finish, extremely smooth riding, and great mileage. Pulled the boat great! 18 or so 50/50 hwy and city driving. around 10-11 towing.

My current rig is the 6.2l sierra and it tows it fine. Just don't like it as much as I did the dodge half ton. The dodge's ride was much better, gas mileage was better empty and towing, and truck was a little better fit and finsih. Yes, I was as shocked as anyone else to see dodge finally getting it together with the fit and finish.

I have a keen interest on the eco boost motor fords. I was trying to get one hard when I bought my sierra, but they were just coming out and not willing to negotiate. I will possibly be enertaining getting one next year. The reviews of MPG are iffy right now. Some guys are swearing by 22 and some swear they cant get better than 15. I have honest and trust worthy friends that know vehicles that are both sides of the spectrum. If someone could guarantee me 20 out of truck on the hwy with that power I'd own one tomorrow.

Hogwild, your screen name anything to do with the razorbacks? If so where do you live? I am from Arkansas and graduated from the U of A.

Last edited by onebadrubi; 06-25-2012 at 11:45 PM. Reason: adding something
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-26-2012, 08:01 PM
Hogwild's Avatar
Hogwild Hogwild is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Boat: n/a
Location: South
Posts: 399
First of all, thanks for all the responses. And now as far as more details go, right now I haul the boat (about 6500lb i think) 2-3 times a month on a trip ranging from 30-60 miles and I plan on taking it about 4 times a year on a trip about 200 miles down the road so I could see hauling about 1000 miles a year. The terrain here is not Colorado mountainous by any means but I do live in the Ozarks so it gets pretty hilly at times. I don't have any kids that I know of so back seat room really isn't an issue at this time.

And as far as why I'm even considering trading, I have these concerns....1. Trade it now because after 100K miles resale value typically takes a huge hit. 2. If I keep it, I can see having to plug about $2,500 into the 4runner in the not so distant future (new tires, 90K mile service, recommended transmission cooler, weight distribution hitch), whereas if I bought new, this $2500 could go directly into a vehicle already possessing or not needing these things. I love my Toyota and never thought I would even think about another brand, but I'm just not sure the Tundra has the proven track record of the other brands but it doesn't mean I can't be persuaded otherwise. One thing is for sure, I definitely don't want to hurt my 4runner and sometimes I'm afraid I may be overdoing it hauling something this heavy. Anyway, those are the things that have me weighing my options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebadrubi View Post

Hogwild, your screen name anything to do with the razorbacks? If so where do you live? I am from Arkansas and graduated from the U of A.
Yes it most certainly does. I live in Fayetteville and am a Razorback fan through and through. WPS!!!
What year did you graduate?

Last edited by Hogwild; 06-26-2012 at 08:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-26-2012, 08:20 PM
thekubiaks thekubiaks is offline
TT Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Boat: X1
Posts: 16
I have a 2008 Toyota Tundra 4WD with 5.7L V8. I love everything about it except the gas mileage is awful. I get 15MPG in the city and just under 10MPG pulling my 2006 X1. Although I don't care for Fords (because they were hard to work on), I have to give the nod to the new F-150's. They look sharp and it sounds like they have good gas mileage. I'm guessing Ford got with the program in the last few years after the GM bankruptcy stuff and are making solid trucks. The F-150 will probably be my next one.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-26-2012, 08:44 PM
ddanenberger ddanenberger is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Boat: 2011 X-25
Location: central
Posts: 259
I am sure people will say something ...but I but a new grand Cherokee overland with the hemi for towing our x25. 14 MPG towing in hills of Michigan ...no issue. Great tow.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-09-2012, 02:10 AM
onebadrubi onebadrubi is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Boat: Mastercraft, 215V, 2006, 5.7ls
Location: south
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogwild View Post
First of all, thanks for all the responses. And now as far as more details go, right now I haul the boat (about 6500lb i think) 2-3 times a month on a trip ranging from 30-60 miles and I plan on taking it about 4 times a year on a trip about 200 miles down the road so I could see hauling about 1000 miles a year. The terrain here is not Colorado mountainous by any means but I do live in the Ozarks so it gets pretty hilly at times. I don't have any kids that I know of so back seat room really isn't an issue at this time.

And as far as why I'm even considering trading, I have these concerns....1. Trade it now because after 100K miles resale value typically takes a huge hit. 2. If I keep it, I can see having to plug about $2,500 into the 4runner in the not so distant future (new tires, 90K mile service, recommended transmission cooler, weight distribution hitch), whereas if I bought new, this $2500 could go directly into a vehicle already possessing or not needing these things. I love my Toyota and never thought I would even think about another brand, but I'm just not sure the Tundra has the proven track record of the other brands but it doesn't mean I can't be persuaded otherwise. One thing is for sure, I definitely don't want to hurt my 4runner and sometimes I'm afraid I may be overdoing it hauling something this heavy. Anyway, those are the things that have me weighing my options.



Yes it most certainly does. I live in Fayetteville and am a Razorback fan through and through. WPS!!!
What year did you graduate?
I graduated U of A in 2010, how about you? I live in Little Rock now. But I work in NWA and Oklahoma a lot. I'd be glad to let you hook your boat to my 6.2l GMC to let you see how it pulls when I'm up there.

I see a few people here are saying go for the 5.7l toyota's. I would be very careful here, they are having issues getting over 12-13 mpgs not pulling anything.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-10-2012, 10:06 PM
Hogwild's Avatar
Hogwild Hogwild is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Boat: n/a
Location: South
Posts: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by onebadrubi View Post
I graduated U of A in 2010, how about you? I live in Little Rock now. But I work in NWA and Oklahoma a lot. I'd be glad to let you hook your boat to my 6.2l GMC to let you see how it pulls when I'm up there.

I see a few people here are saying go for the 5.7l toyota's. I would be very careful here, they are having issues getting over 12-13 mpgs not pulling anything.
Yeah the mpg on the Toyota's does scare me a bit. I graduated a couple of times .. Last time in 2010. I've been in NWA the past 10 years and really don't see leaving if I have a choice.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-10-2012, 11:00 PM
ttu's Avatar
ttu ttu is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Boat: 2007 X2 towed by a 2012 Touareg TDI
Location: tulsa
Posts: 3,777
hogwild, i can simply say this, the salesman let me take a touareg tdi to the lake on the 5th of july. granted i didn't tow but 3 miles to the ramp with it but i was very impressed. i got 31 mpg on my 40 miles each way. now i just need a 2011- 2012 with a few miles on it for price reasons. not many used ones out there.

i have owned a 01, 05 sequoia along with a 07 tahoe then back to 08 sequoia then my current 06 cruiser and by all means the touareg had better power and mgp's!

Last edited by ttu; 07-10-2012 at 11:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-26-2012, 02:37 AM
BMcD's Avatar
BMcD BMcD is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Boat: 2006 Mastercraft X45 - 8.1
Location: Northwest
Posts: 80
Onebadrubi,

I'm a GM guy through and through. My tow rigs (for my X-45) have gone from an '02 Escalade (6.0) to an '02 Suburban (5.3L), now to an '05 Escalade ESV (6.0L). When my rig isn't available (wife is toting kids around), I have my buddy pull it with his Tahoe. The trucks have never let us down and the longer wheelbase in the 'burb and Escalade is quite helpful when pulling long distances in variable conditions. I will say that I am a bit slower over mountain passes with the 5.3L, for obvious reasons, and when my Suburban ventured above 175,000 miles this spring I knew it was time to move on.

My vote is GM, but then again I am biased.

BMcD
'06 8.1L X45

Day1 Wakesurfers
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:51 PM.