Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 05-03-2012, 10:25 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Boatless!!! NXT? X2?
Kicker KM6500.2 in Stock Cans

Alright guys, I know everyone's recommendation for new speakers is wetsounds or exile or something of the sort. However, I actually like the look of the 8 speakers already on my tower. (yes its probably not as loud as two Rev8's).

So here is the question, will the Kicker KM6500.2 perform well in the stock 2004 MC Cans that came with the 6.5" Clarions with 1.5" tweeter??? (outside 4 cans) My concern is that with the tweeter attached to the cans and it not being completely closed behind the speaker because of the tweeter extension, that they will not perform as well in a stock can. I was thinking i would dynomat the inside to reduce the resonance and that might help the performance. But looking for other more skilled and knowledgeable opinions.

As far as the tweeters go i was thinking taking them out, putting in some of that speaker box fill and then covering with a machined piece of sheet metal to enclose it.
Attached Images

Old 05-03-2012, 11:02 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1958 DIY wood ski boat, 2008 X2
don't over think this.. your primary concern for sealing them up at this point is water intrusion
Old 05-04-2012, 10:25 AM
TT Enthusiast

You are probably right. Just want to be sure before I spend any money.

Any other thoughts on this??? Definitely appreciate all the help i can get.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:34 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 12 X-25 its ok old X-10 the best
i put the 6500 in as my in boat speakers a few weeks ago. the get loud, but i would question the throw to the wakeboarder behind the boat to be honest. probably sound great for swimming behind the boat. but the get loud and they are priced right. worst case give them a try.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:20 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwarndahl View Post
i put the 6500 in as my in boat speakers a few weeks ago. the get loud, but i would question the throw to the wakeboarder behind the boat to be honest. probably sound great for swimming behind the boat. but the get loud and they are priced right. worst case give them a try.
Thanks for the input. If they don't throw great sound to the rider that's fine, they will be better off than the cracked clarions.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:23 PM
TT Enthusiast

Anyone know how the stock 2004 speakers were wired up? I am assuming they were run in parallel from the amp. Which is how i believe the each pair of the KM6500.2 are to be wired up with approx 150-200RMS. The less wiring, especially within the tower, i have to do the better i will feel doing this myself.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:09 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 - SammyD Edition
Quote:
You have issues then. I have them in mine and they are clear and loud at 70 off. I have mine hooked up to a clarion apx490 which is a cheap amp and they sound fantastic. Don't undersell these speakers. They aren't wetsounds but they def get the job done well for listening while riding
Old 05-18-2012, 10:42 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 12 X-25 its ok old X-10 the best
I have 4 of them hooked to my clarion 4050, realativly small amp, don't get me wrong I just wouldn't think they could throw that far. I bought the kicker km60 tower speakers and have a mbquart amp behind them and they are rockin behind the boat.
Old 05-20-2012, 03:43 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 - SammyD Edition
no clue what a clarion 4050 puts out. Googled it and came up with donuts. I have a 720 watt amp on mine and they crank. You can hear them loud and clear at 65' like you are in the boat. I get more complaints about them being too loud over not loud enough. Either way no chance a pair of km60's outperforms the 6500.2's at riding distance. I'll get a video of them at 80+' on memorial day and we can bury your doubts
Old 05-22-2012, 11:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 Mastercraft X9, MXC 350
I have the silver cans on my 2003 with the separate tweeter. Also the same 4 speakers in the boat (X9). I would like to replace them with better more powerful 6.5's. I've done some looking for separates but really have not come up with a good option that will remain 2 way separates so i don't have holes or old disconnected tweeters left in place. Any ideas on brands and models that would work. I want to stay in a continuous RMS range that will work good with the two amps I have. One is 50W x 4 CRMS and the other is 90W x 2 CRMS. Currently the four channel amp is hooked to all eight speakers. the two channel amp is bridged to the 10inch free air sub. I believe the eight speakers are wired in parallel so two speakers per channel. Both amps have the gain turned down to keep the speakers from distorting from too much power.
Attached Images

Last edited by AZX9; 05-22-2012 at 11:52 PM.