Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-27-2011, 02:42 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2003 X-2
New (to me) X2 ... and some questions...

The advance of the clock and the aging of the back has sent another Prostar 190 to the sales line… I can’t do the sort of morning skis I used to, and I got tired of dealing with two boats (the PS190 and a 24’ pontoon), so we’ve consolidated into one boat...

I just picked up a 2003 X2. 270 hours on the MCX (yeah!), all the normal features (zero flex, triple ballast, PerfectPass, tandem), as well as a bimini, lube pump, and really nice tower lights. $26,200, plus $350 in gas to pick it up, and the $110 speeding ticket I got on the way there…

The boat is in generally good shape – a few small tears in the vinyl, some dock rash, but a good ready-to-be-used boat. I do have a couple of questions for the masters of the Mastercraft world, though…

1 – The pumps. Wow, are they the slowest things on the planet? And they (it?) seem to only work one at a time? I’m sure there is an obvious upgrade – I’d love someone to point me to the right thread. Or, do I just upgrade the impellers in them?

2 – The rear tanks. They are the stock ones, and I’m sure within a month I’m going to want to be trying surfing, so should I just pull them and replace them with the largest bags that can fit (along with new pumps from #1 above)?

3 – The PerfectPass. I only got to spend a few minutes playing with it during the on-water test, but I already want to upgrade it to a Stargazer and not have to deal with all the calibration/beeping/etc. I’m (obviously with this boat) not running through the course, but wife-approval factor would seem to be even higher with the simplicity of Stargazer, but would it be total overkill?

4 – Anything else I should be looking at improving/replacing? This is likely my last “new” boat, so spending a few bucks now will provide years of return.

Thanks for any/all advice,

Michael
Attached Images

Old 06-27-2011, 02:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X45
congrats on the purchase!

1- check the impellers out in the pumps. if they are black or yellow you are going to want to upgrade to the green one's

2-if you are able to remove your hard tanks I would definitly try that first(instead of piggy back method) and replace with biggest bag you can fit in space

3-if it pleases wife why not?!
Old 06-27-2011, 06:41 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseller View Post
1- check the impellers out in the pumps. if they are black or yellow you are going to want to upgrade to the green one's
That's probably a good first step.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseller View Post
2-if you are able to remove your hard tanks I would definitly try that first(instead of piggy back method) and replace with biggest bag you can fit in space
Is there any advantage to running side-by-side with tanks and bags?
Old 06-27-2011, 02:55 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft Prostar 205
Nice looking boat, lets see if i can help.

1) Im assuming you are talking ballast? They should all be able to fill / empty at the same time. You might need to just get new pumps. Wakemakers.com has both the oem replacement and a Johnsom pump which fits in. You could try the impeller upgrade. How long is long?

2) For your weight setup this is what i would sugguest. (2) 750 fly high with adaptors to pump into pumps. 560lbs of lead in the nose, unless you trailer then 2 x 350lbs fat sacs in the walkway and on the seats. That is perfect for wakeboarding. If you are just going to surf then dont fill up the 2 on the nose and just do the center and which ever side you surf on.

3) Im pretty sure you have to deal with the same beeping / menu process with the star gazzer. Once your PP is calibrater, its really pretty simple. I have the PP pro and have been offered the star gazzer from a friend but just dont feel the need to upgrade it.

4) Stereo? I just install a pretty nice system in my boat so ask away. Dual Batteries? Are you going to replace the ripped seats?
Old 06-27-2011, 06:47 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by agarabaghi View Post
2) For your weight setup this is what i would sugguest. (2) 750 fly high with adaptors to pump into pumps. 560lbs of lead in the nose, unless you trailer then 2 x 350lbs fat sacs in the walkway and on the seats. That is perfect for wakeboarding. If you are just going to surf then dont fill up the 2 on the nose and just do the center and which ever side you surf on.
Couple q's:
- The boat's on a lift, so no trailer, but for crusing am I going to be annoyed by all that weight always up there?
- Does that weight strategy for surfing imply that I could add a single bag to the surf-side in addition to the factory ballast and get a decent surf wake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by agarabaghi View Post
4) Stereo? I just install a pretty nice system in my boat so ask away. Dual Batteries? Are you going to replace the ripped seats?
- The prior owner replaced the stereo entire system - I've got high-end mains and tweeters, massive sub, and more amp than my house.
- It's got duals with the cut-over switch, so we've covered on the batteries
- The tears are small and minor, I'll probably wait until they develop into something you actually notice.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:49 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MC
Did you get it in Spokane? Where is your local lake?
Old 06-27-2011, 07:17 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sand2snow22 View Post
Did you get it in Spokane? Where is your local lake?
Yup, drug it back to Lake Sammamish from Spokane...
Old 06-30-2011, 01:12 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200 SS, 2006, 5.7L Crusader
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamIDFC View Post
Yup, drug it back to Lake Sammamish from Spokane...
I thought it looked familiar when you posted the pics.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:39 PM
TT Regular

Boat: MasterCraft, X-Star, 2007,
Hey I just wanted to say congrats on a great boat! Looks nice.
As for ballast... I'd go with the: a lot is good, more is better and too much is just right!
Keep the tanks and add some fly high sacs where ever the fit!
Old 06-27-2011, 08:45 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft Prostar 205
lose the tanks and put the 750s. It will fully fill those rear hatches perfectly.

Tags
x-2