Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-06-2011, 07:23 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007, PS214, MCX 350
Source Request? Bimini Tops

Anyone have recommendations for online supplier for bimini tops?

Or if anyone has a Bimini for a 2007 Prostar 214 they want to sell? thx
Old 06-06-2011, 10:53 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2008 Prostar 214 w/ mini tower mcx
Quote:
Originally Posted by nauti-dreamer View Post
Anyone have recommendations for online supplier for bimini tops?

Or if anyone has a Bimini for a 2007 Prostar 214 they want to sell? thx
http://www.apexcanvas.com/

We bought the bimini for our 08 PS214 w/ a mini tower from Apex. Couldn't be happier.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:17 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 190 1990 351W
Got mine thought skidim.....best money I ever spent hands down. You order it though them and then Westland makes it up for you and ships it direct to you. Seem like it took about two weeks to get it. Skidim had the best price and the transaction went flawlessly.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:49 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '96 Prostar 205
Got mine here. Free shipping too! I will agree that it is the best money spent so far.
Acme 541
PerfectPass Stargazer Wakeboard Edition
Old 06-07-2011, 11:52 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2003 X-30
I got mine at my mastercraft dealer, good price and great product. I have no clue who they used.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:55 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1993 Prostar 190 Blue Stars and Stripes, Powerslot
I bought a Westland brand bimini from Overtons for my 93 prostar about 3 years ago.... and my 87 prostar back when I had it. both were very good for what i needed. Depends on how much you want to spend and your requirements. Decide which fabric - Sunbrella is very good. Decide what type and size frame you want - aluminum or stainless steel. Stainless is more expensive than aluminum. Mine has sunbrella fabric with aluminum frame. Also, do you want bars or straps holding it in place. Base on the caliber of your boat I would recommend Sunbrella, stainless, bars; and preferably a Mastercraft one. You should be able to get one from a dealer but not sure. You also need to define the height if you do not buy a MC one. Generally on the tournament ski boats 30 inch height is typical. some cut them lower and some like higher.

Last edited by mayo93prostar; 06-07-2011 at 11:58 AM. Reason: add height
Old 06-07-2011, 01:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007, PS214, MCX 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo87prostar View Post
I bought a Westland brand bimini from Overtons for my 93 prostar about 3 years ago.... and my 87 prostar back when I had it. both were very good for what i needed. Depends on how much you want to spend and your requirements. Decide which fabric - Sunbrella is very good. Decide what type and size frame you want - aluminum or stainless steel. Stainless is more expensive than aluminum. Mine has sunbrella fabric with aluminum frame. Also, do you want bars or straps holding it in place. Base on the caliber of your boat I would recommend Sunbrella, stainless, bars; and preferably a Mastercraft one. You should be able to get one from a dealer but not sure. You also need to define the height if you do not buy a MC one. Generally on the tournament ski boats 30 inch height is typical. some cut them lower and some like higher.
Great Feedback everyone. Thanks. Regarding straps...do they vibrate much in the wind? Whereas the bars would be preferred? Also, with respect to height...I"m 6'4" and was considering a Bimini height of 46". Do most tournament boats really go with 36" or less? Seems awfully low. But then again I don't really want a "sail" either. Thoughts????
Old 06-07-2011, 01:49 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nauti-dreamer View Post
Great Feedback everyone. Thanks. Regarding straps...do they vibrate much in the wind? Whereas the bars would be preferred? Also, with respect to height...I"m 6'4" and was considering a Bimini height of 46". Do most tournament boats really go with 36" or less? Seems awfully low. But then again I don't really want a "sail" either. Thoughts????
On this note....first day out with mine I kept looking for the P-51 flying overhead until I realized that one of my straps was vibrating in the wind. Tightened it up and it no longer has this problem.
Acme 541
Old 06-08-2011, 03:35 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Took the orig bimini on my 190 to an upholstery shop (PO mounted it backwards and then cut a X shaped hole in it for the fly high pole!). Got it re-done in Sharkskin with a zip up cover for about $150.
For a newer boat with a tower, I'd probably go OE MC, but I haven't priced one. They sure do mount/store nicely but for all I know you might be able to get 2-3 custom biminis for teh same price!
www.towerbimins.com does AWESOME work for custom biminis. Not cheap by any means, $800 for my Prostar with 2 colors sewn in and all the hard mounting hardware for the tower, but worth it, IMO.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 06-07-2011, 12:01 PM
TT Enthusiast

Mine is a Westland with aluminum frame, Sharkskin fabric, and straps. Memorial Day weekend the lake was rough as he**with winds of 25 mph+ and the thing held up like a champ.
Acme 541

Tags
bimini, bimini top, prostar 214