Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-29-2010, 07:59 AM
keithasims

Question Prostar 209 rides too high, too large of ski wake...

Hello,
I just purchased a used 2001 Prostar 209. It runs great, but it seems to ride too high out of the water. It does great for wakeboarding, but make too large of wake for skiing. When riding, it does great up to about 36 mph, but then starts porpoising uncontrollably. Since this is a direct drive boat as opposed to the v-drive, I expected it to ride much lower in the water and produce a MUCH smaller wake at skiing speeds. Any suggestions? Thanks,
A New Used Mastercraft Owner
Old 08-29-2010, 09:59 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 40th Anniv. Prostar 197 MCX and Powerslot
For some reason, some of the early 209's did not have the "hook" added to them and the boat would porpose as you stated. A good friend had this issue and you could get the boat to settle down simply by shifting some weight to the front of the boat(bow)....we diagnosed it by getting the boat to the point of porpose and walking 3 guys from the back of the boat to the bow and it calmed down. Long story short, check with your local dealer and talke to them about adding the "hook" (a small downturn in the fiberglass that is added to the rear of the hull, creating upward lift of the rear of the boat), and you should see your problem resolved. Also, by doing this, the ski wake will improve but keep in mind the the wake of any boat can be poor at slower speeds and if you are not on edge when cutting thru it (pending line length of course.)
Hope this helps and congrats on the new boat, you will love it once you get the issue resolved.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:29 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2003 MC X-9 350 MCX
The hook was added effective model year 2003. Makes a difference from all that i've heard.

Not that hard to a good glass guy to add a hook.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:44 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1998 PS205, then a 2002 X9, and now a 2012 X14V
Even with the hook, this boat porpoises more than other MCs that I have owned. Filling the front ballast or putting someone in the front does seem to help. Trying out a prop with slightly less rake has helped me as well. Give ACME or OJ a call and they can hook you up with one to try.

"KC"

Cmon...lemme just push one button...
- Red X14V on Center Hill & Old Hickory lakes in TN -
Old 08-29-2010, 05:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1983 S&S
Any chance of going to a finned or hydrofoil rudder? I think some ProStars in the late 90's had this type of rudder prior to the hooked hull.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:10 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
The hook is a better option. I was talking to a guy the other day who told me that he believed those foiled rudders made for some hard steering versus a standard rudder.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:43 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
I just add weight to the front...

'02 X9.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:40 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
This is a pretty inexpensive solution. Try 50 lbs in the nose tied to the underside of the bow lifting ring for starters. I tried this recently and wasn't terribly pleased with it. But I know some people who swear it softens the wake out and helps with tracking.

Worst case scenario, you remove it or add more weight.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:05 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 ProStar 209
As someone said, the hook was added to the PS209/X-9 starting in the 2003 model year. Some owners (me included) got the hull hooked on their earlier models (mine a 2001). My complaint was porposing at speeds generally faster than 35mph and a less than ideal wake for slalom at recreational speeds (28-32). The hook cured the porposing and helped the wake quite a lot. The hook is a small tapered "ramp" along the bottom at the very rear of the hull. It is only between the left and right most-inboard chines. It drops down 1/4 inch at the back and tapers to nothing as you go 1 inch forward. What many may not realize is that all the early evo boats lacked the hook...190's and 197s. When the Pro Tour boats came out (in 2002?), they DID have the hull hook, but the civilian models did not. From what I understand, porposing was not an issue on the 190/197 but rather the hook made the slalom wake even better than it was without it. In 2003 all 190/197/209 boats had the hull hook incorporated into the hull molds.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:37 AM
keithasims

Thanks for all the help. Do you think trim tabs would help? Would they be easier to install than the fiberglass hook?

Tags
2001, 209, prostar, wake