Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 05-01-2010, 10:42 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2008 X-2
Land Rover owners please help!

I just got a 07 Land Rover Lr3 and had the towing package installed. When I hooked up my 08 X2 to it the lights on the trailer keep flashing. Brake lights, turn signals, and running lights all work fine. I took the land rover with the trailer to the dealer to have them look at it and fix it. The dealer told me that it is because the led lights on the trailer and if I change one led light out with a normal light everything will work fine. This sounds funny to me but I don't know anything about light wiring. Does this sound normal for a Land Rover or should I go to a different dealer? If this is normal is there any way to make the lights work without changing from led's to normal lights?
Old 05-01-2010, 11:02 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 79 S&S, 87 Prostar Powerslot, 95 Maristar 200VRS
Send a message via Yahoo to ahhudgins
I don't follow what you mean. You say that the lights on the trailer are flashing, but then you said that the running lights, turn signals and brake lights work fine. Which lights are flashing and when? Unless there is some weird current sense circuit on a Rover, I see no reason why different bulbs on the trailer would make any difference. A regular filament bulb cunducts current in either direction. A led will only conduct current in one direction, if it is hooked up backwards it will do nothing. The vehicle just sends 12V to each set of bulbs, don't see what difference the type of bulb will make. I've seen people not connect the ground wire (white) into the wiring harness and just use the metal to metal contact of the hitch to make the ground between the truck and the trailer. This will cause ALL of the lights to flikcer when they go down the road because of the dirty connection on the metal ball.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:43 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
I follw what he's sayng. If he's not applying the brake or using the turn signals, the lights flash. I have seen other trailers do this same thing....
Old 05-01-2010, 11:49 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Not a MC
Something to do with the lack of resistance with the LED lights, they don't draw enough power to trip the right circuit or something like that. Someone will surely have the official answer here soon.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:56 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '00 MariStar 230VRS
http://store.uhaul.com/product_detail.aspx?id=4089
Old 05-01-2010, 12:29 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2008 X-2
Sorry I didn't make it clear. Just what scott said is what is happening.

dummy, that might do the trick but my trailer has the 7way round plug on it. I looked but didn't see one that would work for my trailer. If you know if they make one and where to get one please let me know.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:28 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
I have heard that on some vehicles, the LED lights may even throw a computer code because it senses something is not right with the electrical system. Just a rumor though.....

1994 205, LT1
Old 05-01-2010, 12:37 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
Found this post on the net-----

I have had my 2006 HSE for about 3 months now. We own an enclosed utility trailer that is equipped with LED lights. The problem comes in when trying to tow it with the RR. The RR's (and most imports mb, vw, bmw,etc) computer senses that a light is out because LED lights have extremely low resistance. The fault code illuminates to "check trailer lights" and the pulse for the turn signal goes into super warp speed (again sensing a bulb may be out).

After much searching and research, I have determined that the problem can be fixed by installing a resistor on the trailer, or add lights to the trailer to increase the resistance. Finally, there is a resistor box that is being sold out of Australia for about $300. Even if you contact the LR dealership, they have no idea what the problem could be and consequently no solution.

I found an adapter on the Uhaul website that was engineered for audi's, vw, and porche, and the adapter cost $29. I actually contacted an engineer at Uhaul that thought of this adapter, and he told me that it was marketed for vw, because he personally had a volkswagen, but IT SHOULD WORK FOR THE RANGE ROVER!!

FINALLY A SOLUTION. I actually found the same adapter (same part number) at etrailer for $15 and decided to order it. It just came in and it works flawlessly. Plugging my trailer with LED lights in directly cause fault codes to illuminate. Using the "plug and drive" adapter makes the trailer with LED lights to function flawlessly. Here is the link and this will save you a ton of worries and money. No installation required....Just PLUG AND DRIVE!!! :thumb:

http://accessories.etrailer.com/search?w=39008

1994 205, LT1
Old 05-01-2010, 02:07 PM
wjpbrand

I have a VW Touareg and had excactly the same problem. Wired some resistors in paralel to simulate a normal bulb and fool the computor. Works fine no problem.
Old 05-01-2010, 04:43 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 79 S&S, 87 Prostar Powerslot, 95 Maristar 200VRS
Send a message via Yahoo to ahhudgins
What I didn't follow was WHEN did the lights flash? Just sitting in the driveway? Only going down the road? The one post said that it will throw an error code up in the computer because the trailer leds aren't enough load for the system, what does it do if there is NO trailer connected? Only thing I can guess is that the computer has a set amount of current that is expected if a trailer is connected. If that amount is zero, it knows there is no trailer. Some current, but not enough, it thinks there are bulbs out. The current sensor would have to be seperate from the main bulb system because any trailer that is added (even leds) would be increasing the current draw on the system. And this is all an educated guess . Computers are great, but my 67 Cougar never accelerated to 110 MPH on it's own (unless I was mashing on the gas peda).