Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 11-26-2009, 07:02 AM
RichNes

Retrofitting a 2005 MCX with Closed Cooling System

I've been shopping around for an Xstar for some time and might have found one that fits my budget. It's a 2005 so it's built for freshwater use but I'm looking to use it exclusively in saltwater. From reading around the forum and users manual, I know it's gonna need a closed cooling system. I called my local dealership and they quoted me $8k over the phone. I thought that was pricey, so I did more research and emailed Indmar for the parts necessary. The Indmar folks were real helpful and proposed two options:

"One, you can retain the same style exhaust manifolds and use kit S866090 which retails for 7484.59. It is so expensive because the closed cooled version of those manifolds are very costly.

The other option is to change the exhaust manifolds to conventional cast iron manifolds and save some money. The kit you would need for this method is S866104 and it retails for 2199.00. You would also need to buy two cast iron manifolds for 213.73 each. You will also need another $50.00 or so in hardware but you would still be way under the cost of the S866090 kit. If it was my engine, this is the direction I would go.

The only other thing that a SS engine would get you is a top mount starter which is really no big deal as long as you keep salt water out of your bilge."

I'm leaning towards the cheaper option and wanted to do the work myself. I'm pretty handy but not too familiar with engines. Has anyone done this job before? I haven't been able to find an MCX engine manual anywhere or a step-by-step on how to get through this, so any help would be awesome...

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:03 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Prostar 190, 1989
2199, that much, for the 351 indmar you get a kit for 790. You wouldn't think that a kit for a MCX would be that much more expensive?? I have a freswater kit from monitor on my 351: http://www.monitorpro.com/ , maybee you could find something there? I believe I have this kit: http://www.monitorpro.com/products/i...i=11&f=14&c=24
Old 11-26-2009, 10:16 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 MasterCraft X-2 TBI
Most cooling kits are for the block only; manifolds still see raw water. Believe the one kit that does block and manifolds is a few thousand dollars.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:22 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
You could look at it this way........just put a freshwater flush kit on your engine and flush it everytime. My '94 Formula had 10 years of use on it in all salt water with the original engines (twin 502's) and was still going strong. The manifolds were replaced after 7 years.

So even if you ran your MCX at least 5 years in salt water (using flush kit) you could always replace the engine for alot less than $7K. (prob less than $5K)

Add zincs to the rudder and shaft too. Oh and don't forget WD40 is your best friend!
Old 12-08-2009, 03:27 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Shopping for XStar SS
Just got my account reinitialized... disregard this post, just meant to reconnect with my original thread.

Tags
2005, closed cooling, mcx, xstar