Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 09-17-2009, 11:42 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197 TT, LQ9
Speaker Locations and heater install in '02 TT

This will most likely be my first of many posts...

I recently purchased a 2002 Tournament Team. #77 of 100 for that year. It's working out to be a great ski boat. Although the boat came with the LQ9 PowerSlot and PP 6.3, it is missing some of the creature comforts that I would like to have.

I'd like to add a simple stereo and a heater to the boat. (A heater because I'm in a colder climate)

Two questions:
Does anyone have the same boat that came with a stereo from MC? Would you be able to send me pictures of where the speakers are placed?

Has anyone added a heater to a boat with the LQ9? Any tips for me, or should I bring it straight to the dealer in Edmonton and let them do it?

Thanks,
Demonts
Old 09-23-2009, 01:33 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2013 197 WTT / 1992 Barefoot Sanger
I have a 2003 TT with stereo and heater...although I put the stereo in myself. Regardless, the speakers in the rear belong just under the back seat, on the small portion of the boat that face towards the engine. 6 1/2 " speakers fit perfectly there. I put my driver-side speaker under the dash on the vertical carpet section...next to the Perfect Pass panel. Behind the carpet there may already be a cut-out for a speaker. I put my front passenger speaker under the passenger seat, next to the lock on the base of the passenger seat.

I believe the rear speaker location is consistent with factory placement, but the front may not be. Factory settings may put the front speakers in front of the driver dash and next to the passenger glove box...but I didn't have enough nerve to drill through the top of my boat. I've also seen speakers on the engine box itself...again, not enough nerve to mess with cutting the engine box.

Heater is factory installed and one hose (removable) comes out under the passenger seat, and the other again mounts to the vertical panel near the driver's feet, next to the PP panel. I believe the heater core itself is behind this panel. Comes out pretty simply with 4 screws...but it sure is tight working under the dash.

Good luck. I'm sure others have found other suitable locations.

Factory head unit placement I believe is in the glove box...I mounted mine though just under my driver side dash, to the left of the steering column. Stuck a sub next to the passenger ballast behind the passenger seat.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:57 PM
TT Newbie

Thanks for the reply. I'm glad I asked because that is not where I planned to put the front speakers. Your setup makes sense. I also noticed the precut holes in the bow where I think I will add two more speakers. Once the stereo install is done I'll put up some pics. That's going to be a few months...
Old 09-24-2009, 09:51 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
Yes, the speakers are located in the stern and bow as shown in the pics below.

Stern Speakers
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

Bow Speakers
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

I also put an additional set of speakers in the main cockpit just aft of the driver's and observer's seats.

In the pic below, you can see the added port speaker and the location of the heater tube for the observer's side.

And the location of the vent under the driver's dash located in the removable kick panel. (Black circle below the electrical breakers)

I posted a thread of my 197 stereo upgrade/install here
Old 09-30-2009, 12:56 AM
TT Newbie

Cam, I've seen that thread before. Super impressive. I'll be sticking to four speakers, an amp, the Clarion CMD6, and maybe a sub. Is the sub that you have in your kick panel a 8"? Do you know how long MC has been putting the hole in the kick panels for a sub? Think it would be in a 2002?
Old 10-01-2009, 09:49 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Prostar 197 MCX Red, White, and Blue
If you are going to put 4 speakers in, I would consider placing them in the cockpit like Sodar. I have an 04' with 6 1/2" bow and stern speakers and a 10" sub. Driving under power I could not hear the bow speakers very well and when I would turn the volume up, the folks in the bow got blown away. Like Sodar, I added two 6 1/2 inch speakers in the cabin and couldn't be happier with the results.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:29 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
It is a 10". I do not know how long they have been putting the hole in the substrate, but a simple push on the carpet will give you your answer real quick!

Tags
197, 2002, heater, stereo, tournament team