Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 09-02-2009, 08:49 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1998 PS190
Cleaning hull

Just bought a used boat. Upholstery and side gel coat are in great shape. The bottom of the hull has some water spotting/stains, particularly back where it sits on the trailer. Regular wax takes most of it off but takes too much effort. Any suggestions for something that would get this off easier?
Old 09-02-2009, 08:56 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSkier View Post
Just bought a used boat. Upholstery and side gel coat are in great shape. The bottom of the hull has some water spotting/stains, particularly back where it sits on the trailer. Regular wax takes most of it off but takes too much effort. Any suggestions for something that would get this off easier?
An acid wash will do it. Get some MaryKate On-Off, or better yet (IMHO) some SlimeyGrimey (milder).
Old 09-02-2009, 09:18 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
I've used toilet bowl cleaner (acid wash) for years. It doesn't harm the gel or decals (so far). Takes off everything but scratches and oxidation with very little effort. Warning, if you have a concrete drive, keep it good and wet, or it'll etch your concrete.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 09-02-2009, 03:17 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2000 MasterCraft ProStar 205 DD
Starbrite makes a hull cleaner that works well (acid wash). SkiDog suggests using a pump up sprayer, which I'll 2nd.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:48 AM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
Is this new or did I just happen up on it, for Boats and RV's too, http://www.warehouseautoparts.com/st..._Products.html

-303 Shower Shield - 16 oz $10.95 On Sale! $9.95
-$21.90
On Sale! $12.98 , 303 Shower Shield 16 oz 2-Pak, Buy One; Get one Free! Limited Time Offer!

303 Shower Shield leaves an invisible, repellent finish that nothing can stick to. No more mildew! No more soap film! No more mineral deposits! Sure, there are a lot of products for cleaning showers. But only 303 Shower Shield keeps showers clean, week after week.

Reapply 303 Shower Shield every 4-6 weeks. Takes 3-4 minutes. Super easy. Just spray on/wipe off. What would you rather do? What you're doing now? Or let 303 Shower Shield keep your shower clean so you don't have to.

303 Shower Shield will save hours of cleaning drudgery every month. Keeps showers and fixtures looking new!

The Best for Counter Tops - Cultured Marble - Plastic Laminates in the Bath, Bar, Kitchen, Laundry Room. - NON TOXIC TOO.

General Instructions:
  • Make sure your shower walls are clean, dry and free of any soap film or mineral deposits.
  • Cover shower floor before use. - Caution: Shower Shield will make shower floor slippery - Do NOT get 303 Shower Shield on the shower floor. Use household cleaner to remove any Shower Shield from shower floor before using shower.
  • Mist on 303 Shower Shield until surfaces are covered, including metal fixtures, grout and glass doors.
  • Dry completely with a clean, absorbent cloth. If cloth becomes damp, switch to fresh cloth.
  • Polish all surfaces to a high gloss.
  • Reapply when water beading starts to diminish, usually every 4-6 weeks
  • Attachment 52431

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Last edited by TMCNo1; 07-31-2010 at 06:32 PM.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:19 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1989 Mastercraft Prostar 190, Indmar 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMCNo1 View Post
Is this new or did I just happen up on it, for Boats and RV's too, http://www.warehouseautoparts.com/st..._Products.html

-303 Shower Shield - 16 oz
Are you using the Shower Shield on the hull to prevent water spots?
Old 10-09-2009, 10:51 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Med Blue 2012 X2, Illmor 5.7
Send a message via MSN to dpolen
I used the MaryKate On/Off stuff for the first time this year (had used Starbrite and West Marine stuff previously). I was VERY pleased with the results, best cleaner I've ever used. My boat sits in the lake all summer, this stuff took all the water spots and algae off with very limited scrubbing. $14.99 at West Marine right now, worth every penny. Get yourself a mask and rubber gloves before using it, its strong stuff.

He who dies with the most toys wins...I'm losing right now!!!
Old 10-09-2009, 10:59 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpolen View Post
I used the MaryKate On/Off stuff for the first time this year (had used Starbrite and West Marine stuff previously). I was VERY pleased with the results, best cleaner I've ever used. My boat sits in the lake all summer, this stuff took all the water spots and algae off with very limited scrubbing. $14.99 at West Marine right now, worth every penny. Get yourself a mask and rubber gloves before using it, its strong stuff.
On-Off is a very effective acid cleaner. I used it for years until I switched to Slimey Grimey (more dilute). I have found that to do just as good a job as On-Off without the need for protective gear, damage to the trailer, damage to aluminum (windshield frame), or etching of the concrete.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:06 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Med Blue 2012 X2, Illmor 5.7
Send a message via MSN to dpolen
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
On-Off is a very effective acid cleaner. I used it for years until I switched to Slimey Grimey (more dilute). I have found that to do just as good a job as On-Off without the need for protective gear, damage to the trailer, damage to aluminum (windshield frame), or etching of the concrete.
I'll have to give that one a try next year. Thanks for the info bigmac.

He who dies with the most toys wins...I'm losing right now!!!
Old 10-09-2009, 01:42 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: between boats
We've been using Zip Away this year, it is safe to get on your skin AND cleans your boat. Not quite as strong as an acid wash, but much easier to use and non-toxic. After using it on more than a few boats I would recommend it.

http://www.zipawaysb.com/product-information.html