Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 06-09-2009, 04:21 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: ER xstar
MCX Engine issues

Hey ya'll
While wakeboarding (04 xstar) the other day we had the low oil pressure alarm come on twice (gauge read 0). We turned it off immediately, let it rest for a couple minutes and fired her back up with normal oil pressure (25-40 PSI). We checked the oil level and it looked fine, boat was not running hot either. Other than the oil pump, could this be anything else?

Another issue we had was a little lifter tick in the engine. One of my other friends has an 04 tige with the GM vortec 5700 (from what I understand the MCX and this engine are very similar) and had the same lifter tick. Ran some valve cleaner through it and havenít heard the tick since. Wanted to know if anyone has had similar problems with the MCX.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:47 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1991 Prostar 190, fuel injected 302
Could be a bad filter. I've seen this happen where the filter will collapse. I would say it's the sending unit, easy fix, but the valve tick makes worry a little

'91 prostar 190
Old 06-09-2009, 04:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X-30 2001 5.7L Indmar
I would pull off the valve covers and ck your rocker arms to see if one has maybe come loose. On the oil press problem the first thing I would do is check the pil pressure sending unit and the oil press alarm switch.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:34 PM
MC Master Poster

I would look into the oil filler hole and see if you have oil running from the higher valves (front of the motor, not the boat) to the lower ones. If you see no oil at any RPM, use a mechanical oil pressure gauge.

Tags
engine, lifter tick, mcx, trouble codes, x-star