Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 03-21-2007, 08:03 AM
TT Regular

Boat: soon
Where to Install Zinc Annodes?

I recently bought a set of Zinc sacrificial annodes for my 1994 Prostar 190. The set included:

1 Shaft Annode
7 round & flat annodes, that are to be sandwiched over metal.

My question is where and how to install them. I assume the will get installed on.

1,2: Swim Platform Supports
3: Rudder
4: 5, 6, Tracking Fins
7: ???, Strut?

A. How high on the shaft would you strap on the shaft annode?

B. I assume I have to drill the other equipment to hold the other annodes? Any suggestions on where? Just bore a hole through the tracking fins? Sounds kind of scary.

Thanks,
AT
Old 03-21-2007, 11:13 AM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewtimko
I recently bought a set of Zinc sacrificial annodes for my 1994 Prostar 190. The set included:

1 Shaft Annode
7 round & flat annodes, that are to be sandwiched over metal.

My question is where and how to install them. I assume the will get installed on.

1,2: Swim Platform Supports
3: Rudder
4: 5, 6, Tracking Fins
7: ???, Strut?

A. How high on the shaft would you strap on the shaft annode?

B. I assume I have to drill the other equipment to hold the other annodes? Any suggestions on where? Just bore a hole through the tracking fins? Sounds kind of scary.

Thanks,
AT

Do you use the boat in saltwater only? Saltwater is more problematic than fresh water when it comes to using zinc anodes as a sacrificial metal. If fresh water only, zinc anodes are not normally required because the scarificed metal on the prop and rudder is not that noticeable as compared to saltwater.

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 03-21-2007, 11:53 AM
TT Regular

Boat: soon
Unfortunatly, the closest water to me is salt. I just want to be proactive before subjecting the boat to that water.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:14 PM
MC Master Poster

If you don't keep the boat in the water, I'm not sure you'll need them. Sterndrives need them because aluminum is a reactive metal and is depleted faster but bronze is more "noble".

This is a quote from http://gulffishing.com/tips_anode.html

"The hull material of a boat determines, in part, which anode material to use. A fiberglass boat having an inboard engine with bronze and stainless metal parts needs less protection than an aluminum hull or a boat with an aluminum sterndrive.

Aluminum alloy is the only anode material that is safe for use in all types of water and accepted by the major sterndrive manufacturers as the best material to use. It is lighter and protects better than zinc and is not so active that it becomes dangerous like magnesium. Aluminum alloy is also environmentally friendly, unlike zinc, which is considered a pollutant."

If you drill holes in your tracking fins and install anodes, they'll stop being tracking fins.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:16 PM
MC Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewtimko
Unfortunatly, the closest water to me is salt. I just want to be proactive before subjecting the boat to that water.

I'll send you a PM.

At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 03-21-2007, 01:08 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1998 ProStar 205 Sammy Edition
If you mount one on the shaft won't that cause vibration issues

Jeff
Blue Skies and Soft Landings
2005 X-Star LQ9 with closed cooling
1998 PS205 Sammy W/Monster Tower SOLD
Old 03-21-2007, 01:12 PM
MC Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Rat
If you mount one on the shaft won't that cause vibration issues
They are egg shaped and the 2 halves are bolted together in front of the strut and any imbalance of the anode that close to the shaft would never be noticed.

Old 03-21-2007, 01:15 PM
MC Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMCNo1
They are egg shaped and the 2 halves are bolted together in front of the strut and any imbalance of the anode that close to the shaft would never be noticed.
Check this out,http://www.boatzincs.com/shaft.html

Last edited by TMCNo1; 05-17-2007 at 09:00 PM.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:35 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1993 Prostar 190 Blue Stars and Stripes, Powerslot
I recently bought a 93 prostar that has been used in saltwater most of the time. there are no anodes on it and there is little or no corrosion on any of the metal running gear. the boat is now always trailered and it was always stored on a lift before I got it. if you are not going to leave it in the water, you can probably get away without any anodes or just put one on the rudder.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:14 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1991 mastercraft Prostar 190, 351 w/powerslot. Blue & grey.
Interesting reading! I love this technical stuff. reminds me of high school chemistry. JimN, you mentioned that Magnesium can become dangerous as an anode. I am curious why? Could you expand on that one please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upper Michigan Prostar190
On a different note: I like LOTS of snort comin' out of the hole.