View Single Post
Old 07-24-2013, 06:08 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1994 PS 190 TBI
Txs River Rat and others who commented and suggested. Belize was great. The resort Phoenix could not have been better. Arrival to a cold towel and rum punch and it just got better from there. After seeing where others were staying, I think the hotels on the island are mostly sub-par. We booked a 1 br./1bath and received a 2/2 with 3 flat screens and a 700 square foot veranda. I bet our unit was 1500 square feet. Service was equally as fine with top notch linens and turn down service. We ate at Elvi's Kitchen, Blue Water Grill (several times) Red Ginger (at the Phoenix) Wild Mango's (not the best, but o.k.) Waraguma (not mentioned by anybody and it is a whole in the wall but wow. Lobster burrito with two tails one inside and one on top for $9US ate that 2x for lunch), also went to Palapa (worst meal of the week). Palapa looks fun when rockin, but we were in off season so it was just an empty party spot. Mostly very happy with the restaurants food quality and $. Oh, forgot we went to Victoria House for my wife's B.D. dinner and it was very nice as well.
Excursions-Snorkel Hol Chan Marine Reserve and Shark Ray x2. Mexican Rocks snorkel. Skiped Shark Ray the second time as we were private tour and dove a ship wreck instead. Hol Chan was like being in an aquarium and worth the trip. Went fishing one morning by myself (thank god I left the wife at the resort). Had fun and caught a big Barracuda, Jacks, Snapper and 6-7 smaller Cuda's but was out in the boat in the rainstorm of a lifetime. Never saw rain like this it was filling the boat. I took turns w/ guide bailing and we gave up at one point and pulled the plug for equalization. You could not see 5 feet as it was so heavy. My wife would have thought she was going to die. I wondered myself and I am not easily scared. Great trip, not like anything we have ever done before. Won't go back anytime soon as there are to many other places to see in this world. Don't go for the beaches, as there are none. We knew that so we were not disappointed with the lack if beach.
Going to Playa in Jan. and will dive the other end of the reef. I am excited to see how it compares.
In Central America, Costa Rica is hard to beat. I will go there again, and hopefully in 2014.
Thanks to everyone who commented and helped me with expectations and recommendations, especially you Rat. BTW, Belikin is good, drank my body weight in the stuff. Also, good recommendation on the Duty Free booze we saved $ for sure. Drank a bunch of Rum too, have to in the Caribbean.