View Single Post
Old 03-01-2013, 03:21 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 Maristar LT-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
Anything BUT Optima!
Maybe I'm just unlucky, but bought a red top for the old Prostar. It lasted exactly 2 seasons then dead as a doornail in the spring.
Got it warrantied (3yr warranty) figured it was becasue I didn't maintian the battery. Next one lasted exactly 2 seasons and dead! With a maintainer on it in the off season.
Got a 3rd one, warranty, used it a year and put it in my old Jeep. Rarely gets run, rarely gets charged or maintained, left out in the cold in CO for a winter. That one is probably 5 years old and still going strong.
After that one showed that it might hold up, I bought a blue top Optima for the house battery in my X2. 100% on a maintainer. Lasted exactly 2 seasons and dead, wouldnt charge. 2 yr warranty on that one was expired.
I'm 1 for 4 on Optimas. Wouldn't waste my $ on them.
If you're looking for a top of the line AGM battery, I got an Odyssey that is about 5 years old and going strong. It's paired with a 2 yr old same model Odyssey and they seem to get along.
Otherwise for lead acid batteries, I've had great luck with OE Delco batteries from GM and Diehards.
I use nothing but Odyssey batteries in my 3 diesel trucks, probably one of the best batteries on the market. I used to use nothing but Optima batteries, but like yourself, found them to not last. I have heard that a few years ago, Optima batteries moved thier manufacturing to Mexico and quality control went downhill. Whether that is true or not I don't know, but I don't use them anymore.
Bill